Wiki Posts
Search

AC weighing carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
AC weighing carry-on bags

On AC126 YEG-YYZ today, an AC employee was waiting right next to the plane door & taking carry-on bags and weighing them and trying to get them in the metal frame thingy that they are supposed to sit inside. Both large and small bags were weighed.

Does AC do this every now and then for quality control? (havent seen it before) I'm wondering if we are about to get enforcement of carry-on weight & size to make sure people pay to check heavy bags?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Slightly OT but same alliance. When I flew SYD-HKG through BKK on TG in C they weighed my carry on at checkin. They were going to force me to check it. However as I carried it on from SFO-SYD they relented after phoning the gate.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Was the aircraft an E90 or Airbus (both aircraft types are used on this flight)?

If E90 they could have a history of too many bags for the overhead compartment and are trying to proactively gate check bags that are too large or too heavy.

Second possibility is that of the aforemention random audit for weight and balance estimates. These audits are usually done for info purposes only and the bag is weighed but not sized.

Third possibility is an employee with too much time on their hands.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
It was an A319. They didnt say if any were overweight and ones that were to big to fit in the gauge were given back and allowed on board.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Looks like we'll be downsizing our carryon (usual one has never been gatechecked) just in case, as we're on a very full A321 next week from YYZ (possibly oversold by the time we fly) so as not to get a hassle at the gate.

bj-21.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yeg2where
On AC126 YEG-YYZ today, an AC employee was waiting right next to the plane door & taking carry-on bags and weighing them and trying to get them in the metal frame thingy that they are supposed to sit inside. Both large and small bags were weighed.

Does AC do this every now and then for quality control? (havent seen it before) I'm wondering if we are about to get enforcement of carry-on weight & size to make sure people pay to check heavy bags?
I've been able to gate check my bags on UACO and AC for free (as I am elite), but I've seen people that can gate check their bags for free, and I have done so myself on DL.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM,, HHonors Diamond,
On my last 2 flights (YYZ-YVR-LAS and LAS-YYC-YYZ), anyone that has used an agent to get their boarding pass has had their carry on weighed.

Looks like AC is getting a little sticky on the carry on weights.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by jayman
Excellent news. Although I'm equally concerned about carry-on size and number of items carried. Many people are 'entitled' to bring far too much stuff on board, and still choose not to use the underseat storage area.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by threepoint
Excellent news. Although I'm equally concerned about carry-on size and number of items carried. Many people are 'entitled' to bring far too much stuff on board, and still choose not to use the underseat storage area.
Sometimes they choose to use YOUR under seat area
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
They should be doing this on the HAV flights where each person has 3 bags carried on.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by threepoint
Im actually much more concerned about size and the number of carry-on pieces people bring on-board.

I usually travel with one rollaboard with the max. dimensions which usually weights much more than 8kg (heck, the laptop computer alone must be 3-4kg)

If AC implements stricter enforcement of rules (which Im not opposed to), I hope they do it in a reasonable way, i.e. being less strict when it comes to C/J pax and status pax. LHs implementation of NEK and the overly strict enforcement of carry-on rules ("this is more than 8kg, and no, a laptop is no personal item") by poorly trained and rude contract staff annoyed many, many SENs and other C/status pax.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
If only they enforced priority boarding so diligently
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jayman
On my last 2 flights (YYZ-YVR-LAS and LAS-YYC-YYZ), anyone that has used an agent to get their boarding pass has had their carry on weighed.

I had my carry-on weighed at YUL YYZ earlier this month (for the first time ever and incidentally first check-in as SE), as I was unable to OLCI.

Lots of my flights originate from YVR transborder. They don't have scales beside each check-in counter there. I'm sure it's around somewhere, just not very convenient if they wanted to start doing this for every pax.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Im actually much more concerned about size and the number of carry-on pieces people bring on-board.
Likewise. I have a B&R Baseline U421X. Specs are 8" x 14" x 21.5". The width and depth are spot on, but the height is around 22.5" with wheels etc.

AC's requirements are 9" x 15.5" x 21.5". Mind you, the U421X will fit wheels first in every overhead that will fit standard carry-on, so I'm not looking for any special treatment. I'd be pretty annoyed if AC wouldn't let me use my $400 investment to prove a point if it won't fit in their metal sizer by 1".

Also frustrating that United and other carriers have different restrictions (8 x 14 x 22").

Update - on a later flight AC forced me to both weight and fit my carry-on in the sizer. It does fit, but with a bit of coaxing so this will be really frustrating if I have to do this for every flight.

Last edited by yvr76; Jan 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm Reason: fits in sizer!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
I hope that they are going to enforce this. Although in Canada it isn't as bad, US travel is a total mess with the carry-ons that people bring. It will be great to know that everyone will have room to put their reasonable amount of carryone in the overhead and under seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.