Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC weighing carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
My tumi is 22inches and fits all
Overhead bins.

I'd be pissed if I had to change bags or GASP check it in.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Has anyone actually been told their bag must be checked by AC? I've never seen anything like this, and am a little worried....my Tumi is right on the edge of the max size allowed, and fully packed, blows the weight limit out of the water!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yvr76
Likewise. I have a B&R Baseline U421X. Specs are 8" x 14" x 21.5". The width and depth are spot on, but the height is around 22.5" with wheels etc.

AC's requirements are 9" x 15.5" x 21.5". Mind you, the U421X will fit wheels first in every overhead that will fit standard carry-on, so I'm not looking for any special treatment. I'd be pretty annoyed if AC wouldn't let me use my $400 investment to prove a point if it won't fit in their metal sizer by 1".

Also frustrating that United and other carriers have different restrictions (8 x 14 x 22").
Hmmm I though that model was closer to 24" with wheels and handle. I didn't buy it for that reason...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM,, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by nave888
Has anyone actually been told their bag must be checked by AC? I've never seen anything like this, and am a little worried....my Tumi is right on the edge of the max size allowed, and fully packed, blows the weight limit out of the water!
Yes, AC made me check my Tumi recently due to weight, it was at 12 Kg, their limit is 10Kg. I had to use the check in agent as OLCI would not work due to an e-upgrade not clearing.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM,, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by morphius909
My tumi is 22inches and fits all
Overhead bins.

I'd be pissed if I had to change bags or GASP check it in.
Better not be over the 10Kg limit or you will be checking it
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What about your personal item bag? My carry-on usually weights < 10kg, but my laptop bag can be 6 or 7kg if I have a couple laptops and an ipad in it. I'm guessing they don't mind since it's not going in the overhead?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by jayman
Better not be over the 10Kg limit or you will be checking it
It's usually pretty light as I have my laptop in my messenger bag over my shoulder.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA MP
Business travellers with status will be royally pissed if they are made to check 20inch roller bags. I can hardly imagine anything that would anger them more.

Any airline in NA that tries this is asking for trouble.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadatosiberia
I hope that they are going to enforce this. Although in Canada it isn't as bad, US travel is a total mess with the carry-ons that people bring. It will be great to know that everyone will have room to put their reasonable amount of carryone in the overhead and under seat!
Agreed that the US is way worse...im shocked at the sizes of the bags that people are stuffing up there.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC*E50
I'm about 1 for 200 with weighed carry-ons (it failed, of course...). Only reason I got nailed was because I had to use an agent due to checking a second bag.

I weighed my Samsonite 20" a few weeks ago in preparation for a Canjet vacation flight (not booked by choice) and was surprised to see it weighed 10lb. Not a lot of room left for any contents... OT but was interested to see that C6 didn't weigh or count anyone's carry-ons despite having a reputation for being very strict.

No sympathy from me for people who get busted with oversized rollers - 90% of the time it means a horizontal stuffing into the overhead bin that takes up the space of three bags.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA S
I flew AC4 NRT-YVR on the 25th and the gate dragons were sizing and weighing a decent amount of carryons. I have a 20" B&R roller (so really 21.5" long), but it was almost certainly over 10kg (as it had been weighed in at 10.2 when I checked in with SQ at JFK a week earlier, and I had bought a few small items on my trip). They weren't doing this to everyone who was boarding, but rather just randomly checking some bags before boarding that they thought might be too big/heavy (and I definitely saw 1 roller get the dreaded gate check tag). My solution was just to stand back from the gate area far enough until J boarding started, and then roll right in and board without giving them much time to assess it, and it seemed to work .

In all seriousness if forced to I could have moved my DSLR over to my messenger bag which certainly would have been a hassle, but definitely would have put me under 10kg. I was surprised it was AC who almost got me for having an overly heavy bag-at my SQ checkins they either weighed it and let it go despite the fact that I was well over (@JFK), or didn't even check (@SIN). Although I'm sure some leniency was given since I was travelling in C/J (as it should, IMO)

Last edited by whakojacko; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jayman
Yes, AC made me check my Tumi recently due to weight, it was at 12 Kg, their limit is 10Kg. I had to use the check in agent as OLCI would not work due to an e-upgrade not clearing.
Did AC end up charging you to check your carry-on?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I can see asking people to check in their oversized carryons. But weigh them? Give me a break. A few kg over should not be a concern. We're not asking AC to load them. Don't tell me the overhead bins would cave in because of the little extra weight of the carryons.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by simba8
Agreed that the US is way worse...im shocked at the sizes of the bags that people are stuffing up there.
IMHO, if it is beyond a couple day trip (umless you pack light, which I don't) one should just automatically check it. Even the 20" rollers, unless you are a pro and can pack perfectly. My main driver for priority boarding is so I don't get caught boarding after someone who can't fit their bag and has to reverse out to gate check it. And for the same reason, vigilance at the check-in and even at the security line would be welcome for me.

I have to admit, that most of my flights in NA end up on smaller CRJ type aircraft, so most of the time its no big deal. But when I get on a dreaded DEN-LAX leg I am forever blown away at the carry on madness... At least on my usual LAX-SYD 747 flights in the front there is plenty if room.

This too big carry-on BS is likely mybiggest pet peeve of flying.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
I fully support carry-on size enforcement, with the strictest limits. It is your responsibility to measure a bag before dropping hundreds of dollars on it. Going over size reduces available space for other passengers, and creates delays when people are unable to fit their bags into overhead bins.

On weight, though, I think airlines should stand back. Unless someone is carrying lead or rocks, carry-ons of allowed size will not weight more than 15 kg or so. I regularly travel with my (large) laptop, DSLR, and 2-3 moderately heavy lenses. My bag, which easily fits in the carry-on sizers, clocks in at 13 kg or so. What am I supposed to do, buy a second ticket for it? Most of the time, it weights far less than the difference between my own weight and that of some "customers of size", which pay the same fare as I do.

Ridiculously enough, I could stay within the restrictions by bringing a separate laptop bag (personal item, which I don't normally take) and sticking the 3kg laptop + accessories in it, thus bringing my main bag to 9 kg. This would result in both more weight and more space used, but would be perfectly legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.