Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by nobody-elite
Thanks mendy,

Not sure why when I log into the
AC site, it shows as over-ride for the flights. It's been like this for several days now.

http://book.aircanada.com/pl/AConlin...verrideServlet

I thought perhaps the flights were oversold.
have you tried a different browser/computer?
Sometimes it just happens with ACs lousy site.

BTW you can use flightstats to check

(you might have to login to use it though)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by nobody-elite
Thanks mendy,

Not sure why when I log into the
AC site, it shows as over-ride for the flights. It's been like this for several days now.

http://book.aircanada.com/pl/AConlin...verrideServlet

I thought perhaps the flights were oversold.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Funny seeing R9 for 2 weeks prior to date of flight....then at T-8 it is zeroed out. Of course the flight is 9's in every other fare bucket.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:20 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I'm assuming you are already on your dad's nominee list. If not, take care of that first....

AC850 on Feb 15 is currently showing J9R9, so the cabin is currently wide open for upgrades. The seat map shows over 20 empty seats, and although that's not a concrete indication, it's a good sign. For the moment, things look good for you, but as the date gets closer that might change.

Make sure you request the upgrade exactly 96 hours before the flight departs, so 6:15PM Calgary time on Saturday Feb 11. I wouldn't request the YWG-YYC upgrade until YYC-LHR clears, because if it doesn't, you'll have wasted 6 credits for a crappy 2 hr CRA flight.

Keep your fingers crossed that your upgrade clears before check-in. If it goes to the airport list, you lose your dad's status, and as such, you will be at the bottom of the list for upgrade. It's still possible, but less likely.

The other piece of advice is to keep checking AC.com to see if upgrade space is available if you are waitlisted. There is a glitch in the software, and the system may not process upgrades off the waitlist even if R space becomes available.

Good luck!
Thanks voodooyyc!

I logged in right at the 96 hour mark and my boyfriend and I both managed to be upgraded for both legs of our journey!

This flight had R9 at the 96 hr mark which was nice. The seats were snapped up within the hour though.

I had a brief moment of panic as my booking had a problem upgrading as they thought I would have a bicycle with me as I did on the first part of this booking.

I've noticed that they only fly the 333 yyc-lhr on Wednesdays. This seems to have helped us in our quest to upgrade!

Cheers to all the FT members as everyone is so helpful!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: *G
More R games

I'm watching an upcoming YYZ-YVR-ICN with a separate YYZ-YVR then AC 63. There is R space YYZ-ICN via YVR but none YVR-ICN on AC 63 (even though there is more J space on the latter). On AC 63 and the prior YYZ-YVR flight, R is zero despite lots of J space. I know that there is no point trying to understand AC's logic, but it would be fascinating to know if in fact there is any, or it's just whatever yield management gets around to.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645:18008008
I'm watching an upcoming YYZ-YVR-ICN with a separate YYZ-YVR then AC 63. There is R space YYZ-ICN via YVR but none YVR-ICN on AC 63 (even though there is more J space on the latter). On AC 63 and the prior YYZ-YVR flight, R is zero despite lots of J space. I know that there is no point trying to understand AC's logic, but it would be fascinating to know if in fact there is any, or it's just whatever yield management gets around to.
I just took that flight sunday YVR - ICN and no upgrade for me :-(
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX Gold, AC Elite, SPG, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I have seen that for all the flights today LAX-YYZ. J9 C9 R0. The flight with the 763 is closer to J20 according to the seat map! Waitlisted of course. Strange behaviour.
Drop that 763 with half the biz class seats than the 777.
I avoid 763 routes (sad to say but with many Asia or EU flights that is the plane they use)
Chances seem far and few with 24 seats in J. Dislike how the R situation always is. AC really needs to fix this issue as the only reason to remain being loyal is for ug. You are better off on other *A carriers that offer at least 40+ seats unlike the old 763 with only 24 seats up for grabs.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I just took that flight sunday YVR - ICN and no upgrade for me :-(
What were the circumstances regarding your upgrade attempt? Was it T-7 waitlist?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by trolly2012
I avoid 763 routes (sad to say but with many Asia or EU flights that is the plane they use)
Chances seem far and few with 24 seats in J. Dislike how the R situation always is. AC really needs to fix this issue as the only reason to remain being loyal is for ug. You are better off on other *A carriers that offer at least 40+ seats unlike the old 763 with only 24 seats up for grabs.
And for AC 63/64, it's only 21 seats (3 for crew rest).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
I'm pretty sure they do this to introduce some uncertainty in SE and E members buying T+ tickets after the 7 and 4 day windows. If I'm buying a last-minute ticket I routinely check to see which options has R space available and go for that, even if it means a connection. If I knew for certain it wasn't, I'd be more likely to buy Z.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:34 am

Some positive comments relating to R games for a change!

I am flying next Tues HKG-YVR and it has been J9/C9/Z9/R9 all week.
I had my fingers crossed all day today hopping that it would not R0 right at the 7 day mark. I arranged my day to have internet access at exactly 7:10 PM and here I am sitting in an airport cafe in Davao, Philippines.
So 10 minutes out I check still R9 exactly 7:10 I request the upgrade and get it!
Confirmed 11K (6K was gone already).
I check the availability still J9/C9/Z9/R9, not bad. AC actually keeping R space open for SEs!
20 minutes later i check again (just out of curiosity) and J9/C7/Z7/R7, I guess some other people got upgrades too. and it seems they are tying the R space directly to discounted business for this flight.

I realize it is a 777 mid week, but it is refreshing to see AC no just zero out R space because they can.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What were the circumstances regarding your upgrade attempt? Was it T-7 waitlist?
Sorry, I just saw this. I have been sans internet all day

I bought T+ over two weeks in advance. when I bought it, J was pretty full and until about T-10 there was J1R0. At T-9 it went J0 so I knew there was almost no chance.
I saw lots of SEs "licing" half hour before boarding and no cigar.
It was a very full flight with many wheelchair pax wearing uniforms - maybe special Olympics or related games somewhere in Korea?

I prepared myself mentally ahead of time for cattle class so I wasn't disappointed. My behind was sore by the time we arrived in ICN, but a message in the OZ lounge and the nice soft OZ J seats (A321-CEB) got me almost back to normal,

I guess it might also be people burning e-ups before they expire, but my HKG flight next week is wide open in J so who knows.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Some positive comments relating to R games for a change!

I am flying next Tues HKG-YVR and it has been J9/C9/Z9/R9 all week.
I had my fingers crossed all day today hopping that it would not R0 right at the 7 day mark. I arranged my day to have internet access at exactly 7:10 PM and here I am sitting in an airport cafe in Davao, Philippines.
So 10 minutes out I check still R9 exactly 7:10 I request the upgrade and get it!
Confirmed 11K (6K was gone already).
I'm on this exact flight and I woke up at 4:10am this morning to upgrade. For the first time, not waitlisted. Wow. Maybe the AC revenue dept. slept in today.

This is unusual...it's 1:30pm...9 hrs after the SE window opened, and flightstats shows J3/R1 (!!!). In my experience, when there's only a small number of J seats remaining, R space is always zero, especially with 7 days to go.

Last edited by john_doe123123; Feb 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by trolly2012
Yes, I have see the fear right now... Booked on AC4->AC64. Should of just fly AC2!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
This is unusual...it's 1:30pm...9 hrs after the SE window opened, and flightstats shows J3/R1 (!!!). In my experience, when there's only a small number of J seats remaining, R space is always zero, especially with 7 days to go.
I hope this stay true for my upcoming flight which is currently R0J2!!!!! Need to wait another week before SE window open up.

Wish me luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.