Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP metal - where do things stand?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2001, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

CP metal - where do things stand?

matintin and I are due to take a spin on a CP 744 later this month, and I was wondering what the current state of CP equipment and service is at present? The last CP-operated flight I took was on Purple Elvis. The catering, and the state of disrepair on the aeroplane was far worse than anything I had anticipated.

Have things improved lately interms of catering etc? What about the equipment? (believe it or not, I have never been on a CP 747-400, only the old CP Air 747s). Our other option is to go for AC equipment. Many thanks for the insight!
Old Aug 10, 2001, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I flew YVR-YYZ on a CP 744 in March. I found the economy class seats to be quite comfortable. Meal service was ok - Since the plane was full of Chinese coming from HKG, they served some kind of teriyaki (I can't remember if it was beef or chicken). No choice was offered (I'm used to having a choice on board AA and US). They were kind of stingy with beverages - didn't let you have the whole can. But all and all it was a decent flight.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
Since the plane was full of Chinese coming from HKG, they served some kind of teriyaki</font>
Why would they serve a Japanese dish to Chinese passengers?
Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:47 pm

I have no idea about the teriyaki.

I'm still trying to get past why they won't let you have the entire can of soda pop.

Can't get more ghetto than that.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QQEvan:
I have no idea about the teriyaki.

I'm still trying to get past why they won't let you have the entire can of soda pop.

Can't get more ghetto than that.
</font>
Ask for a "can" of Coke and you shall receive. It's not like they'll tell you you can't have the whole can.

Old Aug 10, 2001, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by After Burner:
Why would they serve a Japanese dish to Chinese passengers?</font>
I have no idea! All I know is that they gave out that meal and pretty much said "take it or leave it!"
Old Aug 10, 2001, 11:26 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

From this month's employee newsletter:

What's changing?

Over the coming months, you’ll see old Canadian Airlines and joint Air Canada/Canadian Airlines logos disappear. In cases like airport signage, we've divided the stations into three categories and will gradually address each one. The first to be affected by the changes were Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. This process will take us into next year, and many areas, listed below, are already completed.

AIRPORT: Ticket jackets, baggage tags, luggage labels, timetables, luggage sizing racks, and product brochures

CORPORATE STATIONERY: Letterhead, business cards, envelopes, and press kits

AIRCRAFT CABIN: In-Flight announcements, safety cards, enRoute magazine, and digital graphics. For the time being, the physical aspects will remain the same (e.g., cutlery, dishes, cabin interiors)

LIVERY: All Canadian Airlines’ aircraft are being painted according to maintenance and operational schedules—work will be completed by December 30

SIGNAGE: Airport check-in and gate areas, Maple Leaf™ Lounges, ticket offices, and sponsorship properties. For building signage, the Canadian Airlines brand is being removed but not immediately replaced

MISCELLANEOUS: Uniforms, Internet and Aeronet websites.

Old Aug 11, 2001, 3:50 am

I flew on this aircraft in June YYZ-YVR-YYZ in J. I thought the seats in J were very comfortable. If you care about inflight entertainment, then you may consider AC flights, as CP tends to lack in this department. The CP 744 featured PTV, which has 6 or 7 movie channels, no audio channels and poor sound quality.

I don't really have any complaints about the food offered on the flight. We were offered two choices, and they were decent meals. The choices as I remember it were chicken and beef.

Inflight service was pretty good. The crew was very nice and helpful on the flight. The only problem we encountered was delays, due to catering issuses.

[corrected spelling error]

[This message has been edited by Flying Buffalo (edited 08-11-2001).]
Old Aug 11, 2001, 5:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying Buffalo:
We were offered two choices, and they were descent meals.</font>
They serve meals during landing now?
Old Aug 11, 2001, 6:09 am

They serve meals during landing now?

It would be interesting to see the results of serving meals during landing and take off.

[This message has been edited by Flying Buffalo (edited 08-11-2001).]
Old Aug 11, 2001, 6:12 am

I think you missed my point. (??) You probably meant "decent" meals, not "descent" meals.
Old Aug 11, 2001, 6:30 am

AB: I understood shortly after I replied. I replied without putting much thought into how I spelled "decent".

The spelling error has now been corrected.
Old Aug 11, 2001, 6:42 am

FB, please forgive me, I couldn't resist. (It's the cold pork and gravy thing. I've joined the spelling police. )
Old Aug 11, 2001, 6:56 am

Afterburner cut the flyers some slack, how can the pork be hot during meal service on descent?
Old Aug 11, 2001, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
My last experience on a CP metal 747 was not all that favourable, though it yielded a $100 voucher from AC. It was partly another no-food fiasco, but more a problem with the audio of the inflight entertainment system in "the bubble". Those of us up top on this flight, a continuation of the service from HKG, reboarding in YVR for a late afternoon/early evening flight to YYZ.

AC was processing lots of J-class standbys and certificate upgrades, but gate agents never bothered to contact catering or inform passengers that they would not get a meal if they took the flight! Needless to say, there was a near rebellion as the senior FA informed many of those of us up top we would have no meals. She said it was even company policy that we not get served any Y-class meals which might have been rejected downstairs. On this point, she relented -- at great peril, we were told, for breaking AC policy -- and we were ultimately fed with economy chow.

But it was audio problems on the entertainment system that netted us all $100.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about the maintenance of the big leather seats, or general ambiance. So, FlyBoy, if you do fly a CP metal 747, do opt for a "bubble" seat.

As for 767s, the fleet varies so much these days, it is even difficult to determine if you are actually on an internationally configured plane, since last minute changes are always being made. Aside from the handful of leased ones, I have found the normal CP equipment fine. Except, of course, for their limited entertainment options.

Let's face it, we have been spoiled with international seating on domestic long hauls, the very good entertainment system found on the A330s -- the interactive Sony system -- and other things. But as I have noted before, this fleet configuration inconsistency really is drag, and makes for such a variable product offering.

Interesting to see that CP dishes and glasses are now gone. AC should sell these logo'd items as souvenirs. Make a few bucks rather than just dumping them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.