FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CP metal - where do things stand?
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2001, 7:16 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
My last experience on a CP metal 747 was not all that favourable, though it yielded a $100 voucher from AC. It was partly another no-food fiasco, but more a problem with the audio of the inflight entertainment system in "the bubble". Those of us up top on this flight, a continuation of the service from HKG, reboarding in YVR for a late afternoon/early evening flight to YYZ.

AC was processing lots of J-class standbys and certificate upgrades, but gate agents never bothered to contact catering or inform passengers that they would not get a meal if they took the flight! Needless to say, there was a near rebellion as the senior FA informed many of those of us up top we would have no meals. She said it was even company policy that we not get served any Y-class meals which might have been rejected downstairs. On this point, she relented -- at great peril, we were told, for breaking AC policy -- and we were ultimately fed with economy chow.

But it was audio problems on the entertainment system that netted us all $100.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about the maintenance of the big leather seats, or general ambiance. So, FlyBoy, if you do fly a CP metal 747, do opt for a "bubble" seat.

As for 767s, the fleet varies so much these days, it is even difficult to determine if you are actually on an internationally configured plane, since last minute changes are always being made. Aside from the handful of leased ones, I have found the normal CP equipment fine. Except, of course, for their limited entertainment options.

Let's face it, we have been spoiled with international seating on domestic long hauls, the very good entertainment system found on the A330s -- the interactive Sony system -- and other things. But as I have noted before, this fleet configuration inconsistency really is drag, and makes for such a variable product offering.

Interesting to see that CP dishes and glasses are now gone. AC should sell these logo'd items as souvenirs. Make a few bucks rather than just dumping them.