Wiki Posts
Search

Glitches in e-upgrade window?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Glitches in e-upgrade window?

I flew AC33 YYT-YYZ-SYD on Nov. 16 and am returning on 34 on Nov. 21. The return flight leaves SYD at 12:15pm local time. I calculated T-96 hours (I am E) to be 8:15pm (YYZ time) on Nov. 16. AC 33 departed YYT at 8:20pm. I was on my smartphone at 8:15 and tried multiple times to request an upgrade, but repeatedly got the message that the flight was not yet eligible for upgrade. I was able to request the upgrade when we deplaned in YVR, but am waitlisted (and probably further back on the waitlist than I otherwise would have been). This was very annoying.

As an aside, what are the chances of the upgrade clearing?

On the plus side, this trip will qualify me for SE next year!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
R0 J7

[KVS Availability Tool 6.7.0/Diamond - Amadeus Seat Map: 21 Nov 2011/AC 34/SYD-YYZ/77L/C-Business]
Code:
     A    |   D   G    |   K    
 1   -        -   +        -    
 2   -        -   -        -    
 3   -        -   -        -    
 4   -        -   -        -    
 5   -        -   +        -    
 6   -        -   +        -    
 7            +   +             
 8   -        -   +        -    
 9   -        +   -        -    [W]
10   -        -   +        -    [W]
11   -        -   -        -    [W]

[+] Available     [W] Wing       [L] Lavatory  
[-] Unavailable   [E] Exit Row   [U] Upper Deck
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: AC75 MM
I recall a previous post about AC IT getting the time wrong in SYD by an hour - presumably due to DST changes there. So my guess is that is the problem rather than a more generic system wide eupgrade problem.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

A further question.

Suppose J is full on SYD-YVR and the u/g does not clear. Is it possible in principle to request an u/g from YVR-YYZ (if your BP is SYD-YYZ)? If so, how would one do that.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
SYD is a weird station where the daylight savings doesn't carry over. So yes, you had/have to wait one more hour.

...and yes, the upgrade list will transfer from SYD to YVR for upgrades. It is automatic and you don't have to do a thing
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Livyer
A further question.

Suppose J is full on SYD-YVR and the u/g does not clear. Is it possible in principle to request an u/g from YVR-YYZ (if your BP is SYD-YYZ)? If so, how would one do that.
Technically it isn't possible, but can be done.

A few months ago I was on a direct flight YYC-YHZ-YYT. My upgrade request for YYC-YYT did not clear because J was sold out YYC-YHZ. There was no way to request an upgrade in the system because I was on a single flight coupon, the system could not track that I wanted to fly J from YHZ-YYT.

I deplaned at YHZ. The GA was dealing with a long lineup of people with questions. I asked the MLL agent, and customer service, but there was nothing either of them could do. I went back to the gate and the lineup was gone. I asked the GA; he said to wait a few minutes and that he'd see what he could do. I checked back a few minutes later and he handed me a J boarding pass.

I really wish that AC could allow you to upgrade a portion of a direct flight if a portion is not available, but I suspect that it is not very straightforward to do.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Livyer
I flew AC33 YYT-YYZ-SYD on Nov. 16 and am returning on 34 on Nov. 21. The return flight leaves SYD at 12:15pm local time. I calculated T-96 hours (I am E) to be 8:15pm (YYZ time) on Nov. 16. AC 33 departed YYT at 8:20pm. I was on my smartphone at 8:15 and tried multiple times to request an upgrade, but repeatedly got the message that the flight was not yet eligible for upgrade. I was able to request the upgrade when we deplaned in YVR, but am waitlisted (and probably further back on the waitlist than I otherwise would have been). This was very annoying.

As an aside, what are the chances of the upgrade clearing?

On the plus side, this trip will qualify me for SE next year!
-------
The whole mess can be avoided by automation. Request an upgrade at the time of booking and the computer will do the rest when the window opens. One day somebody will get hurt trying to contact AC at the second upgrade window opens. Hope the 2012 program moves to automation.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER

A few months ago I was on a direct flight YYC-YHZ-YYT. My upgrade request for YYC-YYT did not clear because J was sold out YYC-YHZ. There was no way to request an upgrade in the system because I was on a single flight coupon, the system could not track that I wanted to fly J from YHZ-YYT.

I deplaned at YHZ. The GA was dealing with a long lineup of people with questions. I asked the MLL agent, and customer service, but there was nothing either of them could do. I went back to the gate and the lineup was gone. I asked the GA; he said to wait a few minutes and that he'd see what he could do. I checked back a few minutes later and he handed me a J boarding pass.

I really wish that AC could allow you to upgrade a portion of a direct flight if a portion is not available, but I suspect that it is not very straightforward to do.
The difference is, 33/34 is a single flight number so the wait list gets auto-transferred, rather than multiple flights on a single ticket
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:29 am

I'm having the same exact problem with AC7 YYZ-HKG with a stop in YVR, YYZ-HKG was R0 and YVR-HKG was R5 at the time upgrade window opened, but I cannot request an upgrade just for the YVR-HKG segement. A lesson for me is to book YYZ-YVR and YVR-HKG as 2 separate segments so I can make a separate upgrade request. The same goes for AC33 YYZ-SYD vis YVR. Much better chance to get an upgrade for the YVR-SYD segment if one does not take AC33 from YYZ to YVR. I observed quite often that AC33 YYZ-SYD is R0, but YVR-SYD is R+.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
The difference is, 33/34 is a single flight number so the wait list gets auto-transferred, rather than multiple flights on a single ticket
What difference? Did you read my post?

A few months ago I was on a direct flight YYC-YHZ-YYT
Direct means a single flight number all the way through. No different than AC 33/34. There is no way to transfer the waitlist from the point of departure to any intermediate point as your seat is assigned from start to finish (including any stops).
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by avmca2050
I'm having the same exact problem with AC7 YYZ-HKG with a stop in YVR, YYZ-HKG was R0 and YVR-HKG was R5 at the time upgrade window opened, but I cannot request an upgrade just for the YVR-HKG segement. A lesson for me is to book YYZ-YVR and YVR-HKG as 2 separate segments so I can make a separate upgrade request. The same goes for AC33 YYZ-SYD vis YVR. Much better chance to get an upgrade for the YVR-SYD segment if one does not take AC33 from YYZ to YVR. I observed quite often that AC33 YYZ-SYD is R0, but YVR-SYD is R+.
Good advice to book with separate coupons. Not only can you upgrade individual legs, but you'll get more status miles too!

The only drawback would be that if you do end up seated in Y, you miss out on free BOB, booze, etc. if booked T+ or lower.

When I had my issue, I tried calling reservations at the 4 day window to see if they could break the flight into 2 separate coupons and was told no (the lady could not understand why I was even asking the question). I did not have time to call back and try again. I'd try calling reservations and see if they can do anything for you.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:43 pm

When I had my issue, I tried calling reservations at the 4 day window to see if they could break the flight into 2 separate coupons and was told no (the lady could not understand why I was even asking the question). I did not have time to call back and try again. I'd try calling reservations and see if they can do anything for you.
I did try calling reservation, they told me there is nothing else they can do short of make a change to breakup the flight segments which will subject me to all the fare difference, which I declined. Not sure if the same restrictions on segments upgrade with the same flight number applied in 2010 or earlier using paper certs?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by avmca2050
I did try calling reservation, they told me there is nothing else they can do short of make a change to breakup the flight segments which will subject me to all the fare difference, which I declined. Not sure if the same restrictions on segments upgrade with the same flight number applied in 2010 or earlier using paper certs?
My trip was in 2011 where I would have been using eUpgrades.

Unfortunately, you at least had better luck than I did. Your agent at least acknowledged that the flight could be broken into 2 separate coupons (mine said that was not possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.