Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retroactive Fuel Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Retroactive Fuel Surcharge

I was told by Aeroplan today that since I "touched" my file, I have to pay LH fuel surcharges for a booking I did Sep 23. I have only one segment on LH (outbound) and the change was made to my return portion of the trip.

Just to let you know that AE, on behalf of the airlines, are retroactively charging the surcharge.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been the case for some time that if you make changes, you pay surcharges recalculated on thr current basis.

So no surprise. Better to avoid making changes.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by astabula
I was told by Aeroplan today that since I "touched" my file, I have to pay LH fuel surcharges for a booking I did Sep 23. I have only one segment on LH (outbound) and the change was made to my return portion of the trip.

Just to let you know that AE, on behalf of the airlines, are retroactively charging the surcharge.
Retroactively charging the surcharge would be going back and asking all passengers to pay the current surcharge whether they've changed their flights or not.

As Stranger pointed out, charging the current surcharge at the time you make your change is nothing new. I hate this practice but you do have the option to keep your original booking, refuse the changes and not pay a penny more (or cancel all together, and pay $90 to redeposit the miles).
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Title caught me by surprise as I thought a new policy was being implemented overnight.. I agree that Stranger and YEG USER has explained..

Its only when a member who is already booked, and pays a change fee would new charges and credits come into effect on the ticket..
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Title caught me by surprise as I thought a new policy was being implemented overnight.. I agree that Stranger and YEG USER has explained..

Its only when a member who is already booked, and pays a change fee would new charges and credits come into effect on the ticket..
And this comment adds what to the discussion? Absolutly nothing that was not already said!!:Yet another invaluable input from A.M.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exbrit
And this comment adds what to the discussion? Absolutly nothing that was not already said!!:Yet another invaluable input from A.M.
I've added credits to the statement..

Seriously, if you have a problem, please press ignore..
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: AC*SE
What irks me even more is this also applies when moving a specific leg from Y to J on a J-class redemption.

(i.e. YEG > GRU return where the GRU > YYZ segment is in Y due to AC not opening up R. R opens up a few months later and moving that segment from Y to J is going to cost me $350!)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE
Does the recalculation apply once your trip is in progress as well?
You can't get the ""unused"" points returned.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
supposedly only for "re-issue"?

If re-validate(change of flight time/date only, same cabin), no retroactive surcharge?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Yet more incorrect information AM. If an AC (or LH now) flight that you've booked is changed by the airline, and you get an alternative arrangement that doesn't include the fuel surcharged segment, you get a refund. No change fee paid, but the refund goes back on your credit card.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by beep88
supposedly only for "re-issue"?

If re-validate(change of flight time/date only, same cabin), no retroactive surcharge?
I'm curious to see whether airline initiated sked changes will trigger this surcharge.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm curious to see whether airline initiated sked changes will trigger this surcharge.
Good News! There have already been examples of invol sched changes where the fuel charge was not applied.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Good News! There have already been examples of invol sched changes where the fuel charge was not applied.
My experience as well.

Furthermore, this may be the only time you can get one of the surchargeable flights without a surcharge.

In a bind due to sked changes, its much easier for Aeroplan to "open up" space on Air Canada and Lufthansa flights.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan *E, Marriott Elite Silver
What exactly did AM do to some of you to piss you off like that? I've never seen so much hostility against any other individual. It's probably the third or fourth time in my limited time in this forum that I've seen some posters attack AM unprovoked.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by uwbrother
What exactly did AM do to some of you to piss you off like that? I've never seen so much hostility against any other individual. It's probably the third or fourth time in my limited time in this forum that I've seen some posters attack AM unprovoked.
May I suggest (not just to uwbrother but also to the others) that such meta-discussions be taken to PM where they probably belong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.