Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Exact amount could be verified by going to CAD website.
correct.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:01 pm

Although this seems really creative, I don't have enough confidence in the Esso Extra program to touch this one with a ten foot pole!

No matter though, I am still enjoying my Aeroplan points and getting great use out of them, without the scamcharges.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:06 pm

I transferred 200,000 AP points, getting about 164,000 AA points in the end.

Everything worked seamlessly. I just had to go out and open two Esso accounts, where I bought $250 in GCs on each card to enable transfers to RBC points. It took about 3 days for Points.com to move the AP to Esso, then another 3 days for Esso to RBC, then 2 days for RBC to AA - where I got the bonus component posted at the same time as well.

It was a good way to consolidate points, because I just dumped the Esso transfers into the same RBC Rewards account (same surname.)

I'm hoping that I'm going to get to enjoy some scamcharge-free CX F next year. ^
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:07 pm
alc

Originally Posted by pokee
I don't have enough confidence in the Esso Extra program to touch this one with a ten foot pole!
I agreed with the above statement and hence I will only convert my Aeroplan to ESSO only when I knew it will only stay in the ESSO account for a day (maybe 2) max.

In the New Year, I will need to decide if I will swipe my ESSO card or the Aeroplan card at ESSO Station, as if my goal is to get them from Aeroplan to ESSO during AA transfer promo, it will be very stupid to swipe my Aeroplan card.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Does this work in the US as well??
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:19 pm
alc

Originally Posted by CXtoQF
From the Online Sign-Up form, it does look like to be CDN only:

https://www.essoextra.com/pages/enroll.aspx

But, I guess if you have a friend in Canada, you can use his/her address and update all your accounts with that address.

But I think the key issue will be RBC Rewards that is transable to AA. I believe it is only if you are holding an RBC Avion VISA card, which is a Cdn VISA. Hence, unless you can get one with your US credit history, that will be biggest issue.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by CXtoQF
Unfortunately I don't think you can get Avion in the US
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I'm in the process of doing the conversion to get better value for my points. Instead of paying 15K aeroplan points + $164 scam charges for a YUL-LGA rt flight on AC, I'll convert them to avios and redeem 9K avios points with minimal taxes for the same flight on AA
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:46 am
alc

You are getting 1 Aeroplan to ~0.68 RBC, hence without any transfer promo from RBC, that is the rate you are getting to BA / AA at 1 RBC to 1 BA/AA ratio.

I read the Aeroplan to US Airway directly on Points.com is back up and you can get 1:0.80+ ratio if you put an non-Cdn address. Maybe others can comment on this route.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alc
You are getting 1 Aeroplan to ~0.68 RBC, hence without any transfer promo from RBC, that is the rate you are getting to BA / AA at 1 RBC to 1 BA/AA ratio.

I read the Aeroplan to US Airway directly on Points.com is back up and you can get 1:0.80+ ratio if you put an non-Cdn address. Maybe others can comment on this route.
With US Airways I would need 25K miles for a YUL-LGA rt flight, 15K aeroplan points will give me 10200 avios, just enough for the same flight and without the aeroplan scamcharges
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:01 pm
alc

Understood. Just curious, do you have an AMEX card that earn MR points? As, you can transfer it 1 MR to 1 BA. I guess I just feel going with only 0.68 does not seems to be good. But I understand in your case, it does work out better than redeeming the Aeroplan miles.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:08 pm
Suspended

No I don't have an AMEX card yet (need to improve my credit score), but I just got the RBC Signature Rewards Visa that earns 1 RBC per dollar.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
No I don't have an AMEX card yet (need to improve my credit score), but I just got the RBC Signature Rewards Visa that earns 1 RBC per dollar.

Thanks for the info
you should get an amex (imo) i personally wouldn't transfer ap to rbc to ba, as you can often get amex mr to ba 50% transfer bonuses.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:09 am
alc

Was replying another thread while I reference to this thread, then I realized no one had post on this thread about the current 50% transfer on BA Avios.

Here is the post from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...zz-canada.html thread:

Originally Posted by dillybravo
Got an insert in my bill today:

"From May 1 to June 30, 2014, as an RBC Visa Infinite Avion, RBC Visa Platinum Avion or RBC Visa Business Platinum Avion cardholder, you'll receive 1.5 Avios for every RBC Rewards point you convert."
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://i.imgur.com/OX0UD5S.png
From November 1 to December 31, 2014 [...] you'll receive 1.5 Avios for every RBC Rewards point you convert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.