FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1280278-converting-aeroplan-aa-ba-via-rbc-avion.html)

nabeelj Nov 15, 11 1:59 pm

Converting Aeroplan to AA & BA via RBC Avion

I know something similar has been mentioned on FT before for Aeroplan -> BAEC before during the Avion -> BAEC 1.5x promos, but considering the recent and future Aeroplan changes w.r.t. charging YQ, the current Avion -> AAdvantage 1.3x promo (ending soon) and AAdvantage's impending change of their MM program, I thought it was worth repeating.

You can currently transfer Aeroplan -> Esso Extra using points.com, then Esso Extra -> Avion -> AA. In the end, you should get ~9 AAdvantage miles for every 10 Aeroplan miles.

Aeroplan -> Esso Extra has a 15K minimum, 50K maximum. Esso Extra -> Avion has a 2500 minimum, 500 increments, and Avion -> AAdvantage has a 5K minimum.

Not suggesting this is the best decision for everybody, but it is an option to consider.

DaveTO Nov 15, 11 2:57 pm

Great idea! What's the wait to get an Avion card? Can you apply now and still make it before the end of the promo period?

dominick Nov 15, 11 2:58 pm

Thx for reminder - had forgotten about this.

Anyone know a rough estimate for total transfer time?

nabeelj Nov 15, 11 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by dominick (Post 17455640)
Thx for reminder - had forgotten about this.

Anyone know a rough estimate for total transfer time?

Aeroplan -> Esso, 1-2 business days
Esso -> Avion, 1-2 business days

mkjr Nov 15, 11 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17455239)
I know something similar has been mentioned on FT before for Aeroplan -> BAEC before during the Avion -> BAEC 1.5x promos, but considering the recent and future Aeroplan changes w.r.t. charging YQ, the current Avion -> AAdvantage 1.3x promo (ending soon) and AAdvantage's impending change of their MM program, I thought it was worth repeating.

You can currently transfer Aeroplan -> Esso Extra using points.com, then Esso Extra -> Avion -> AA. In the end, you should get ~9 AAdvantage miles for every 10 Aeroplan miles.

Aeroplan -> Esso Extra has a 15K minimum, 50K maximum. Esso Extra -> Avion has a 2500 minimum, 500 increments, and Avion -> AAdvantage has a 5K minimum.

Not suggesting this is the best decision for everybody, but it is an option to consider.

i wish i held off on converting 130,000 AP miles to my BA account until the 16th...but when i did the same...

the other trick you gave me that you removed has since closed as that other points program no longer allows you to buy reward points to covert on to 180,000BA miles a year...

nabeelj Nov 15, 11 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 17455683)
<snip>

Shhhhhhh! :p

lkar Nov 16, 11 4:53 pm

Sigh. Where were you guys a month ago with this tip!

I don't suppose there's any fast track to getting an RBC Rewards account open from the USA?

yulred Nov 16, 11 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaveTO (Post 17455627)
Great idea! What's the wait to get an Avion card? Can you apply now and still make it before the end of the promo period?

Took me 10 days from application (including weekend).

mkjr Nov 16, 11 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17455697)
Shhhhhhh! :p

agreed. Will go edit my post...

nabeelj Nov 18, 11 12:04 am

Can anyone who's done the Avion -> AA transfer under this promo confirm what the activity date of the transfer and the 30% bonus are? Are they the date you called RBC?

Asked around, it appears the activity date of the transfer and 30% bonus are 1-2 business days after calling RBC to initiate the transfer.

Jigger Nov 21, 11 9:42 am

Im new at this so please excuse my ignorance
I have around 200,000 Aeroplan miles that will expire in a few months.
The Avion card runs around $200 (C)
I'm planning on going to Australia with my wife at Christmas 2012 and was hoping to use these points.
I'll need another 70000 AP points to do it in business
Can someone please email me the process I would need to follow to convert the points or do you have other suggestions?
Private email is fine as well
Thanks
Jigger

nabeelj Nov 21, 11 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Jigger (Post 17490688)
Im new at this so please excuse my ignorance
I have around 200,000 Aeroplan miles that will expire in a few months.
The Avion card runs around $200 (C)
I'm planning on going to Australia with my wife at Christmas 2012 and was hoping to use these points.
I'll need another 70000 AP points to do it in business
Can someone please email me the process I would need to follow to convert the points or do you have other suggestions?
Private email is fine as well
Thanks
Jigger

You're too late to apply for the card and get the process (clearly outlined in post #1) done before the current 1.3x promo ends.

nabeelj Nov 22, 11 9:02 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 17472664)
Can anyone who's done the Avion -> AA transfer under this promo confirm what the activity date of the transfer and the 30% bonus are? Are they the date you called RBC?

Asked around, it appears the activity date of the transfer and 30% bonus are 1-2 business days after calling RBC to initiate the transfer.

I started some Avion -> AA transfers on Friday and Saturday - they posted today, with the correct activity date (of Friday and Saturday).

EDIT: And the 30% bonus posted at the same time, I guess they fixed the delay.

okazon69 Nov 22, 11 11:02 am

BA transfers at 1.5x from Avion on again starting today until 1/31/2012.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_ca

(Aeroplan tie in: This is for Canadians who may or may not be Aeroplan members. ;) )

mkjr Nov 22, 11 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by okazon69 (Post 17497918)
BA transfers at 1.5x from Avion on again starting today until 1/31/2012.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_ca

(Aeroplan tie in: This is for Canadians who may or may not be Aeroplan members. ;) )

thanks. will have to digest this since it may be worth while building up AA miles instead given flights to asia on CX using BritishAir miles...

nabeelj, how goes the battle for lifetime plat?