Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Post Your Sobeys Kraft Dinner Clearances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Post Your Sobeys Kraft Dinner Clearances

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ciana
The Sobeys in my area has clearly posted signs for the limit on the KD and on the coke; however, I have seen people try to take more and see if the cashier will let them. Their strategy seems to be to argue in the hopes that the cashier will give it to them rather than hold up the people behind in line.
I've long given up that strategy myself..

If Sobey's is going to limit.. the flyers should clearly state the quantity..

I guess shoppers who trek geographically afar, would probably want to try to eke through the deal.. ignoring the customized store generated signs..
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
So I checked my final tally through my Club Sobeys account:

1003 boxes, with a balance of about 55,000 points left, with no out of pocket cost.

Would you convert those to AP miles [27,500], or take $400 in gift cards (which can be converted to Petro Canada gift cards, and then to Visa/MC cash cards) and the residual amount converted to AP miles [2,500]?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by DaveTO

1003 boxes, with a balance of about 55,000 points left, with no out of pocket cost.

Would you convert those to AP miles [27,500], or take $400 in gift cards (which can be converted to Petro Canada gift cards, and then to Visa/MC cash cards) and the residual amount converted to AP miles [2,500]?
about the same in my view given the taxes say for a trip in NA. personally, i would rather convert to cash unless the 27.5 puts you into a valuable J/F award flight you have coming up and need to book and do not already have the miles. given i ditched AP earlier this year, i would have to go for cash since points are worthless to me.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Too bad Sobey's and Rexall didn't have the same promo's across the country and then we could all take advantage of these opportunities. Sounds like quite a bit more effort/mile on this one but I'm sure I'd be all over it if it was available here.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Pissed I Missed

Out of country on mini RTW. In First on LX.TG,LH, 120,000mls(was) = KD x ? =$?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
$1500 mini RTW in F Yeah baby!

KD 800x$1.99=$1592,=240,000sobey=120,000AP mls =(did) 1 miniRTW in F. ie. Ytz ,YUL,ZRH,MAN,FRA ,CDG,BKK,HKT .HKT,BKK ,CDG,FRA,MUC ,YUL ,Ytz +fees n tax approx $ 500. Deal I'd say . Next year it's the SODA s I want. Got a buyer lined up @50% loss. Can budget $1500 for nxt miniRTW inF.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Final tally for me was 1051 boxes at an average price of $1.88/box. I found a number of stores (Thornhill, Scarborough, Pickering and Ajax) where the price was $1.79 instead of $1.99. Frankly I'm exhausted. I went to Pickering on Tues and Wed and cleaned them out both times since there was no limit. When I walked in yesterday I couldn't believe that they had restocked the shelves AGAIN! I was almost relieved when I noticed a new, small sign that limited the quantity to 6. (Now I'm starting to wonder if it had been there all along and I just didn't see it.) I had no problems buying 30 boxes anyhow (5 kinds, 6 of each), and the cashier asked me if there was a sale on KD. I'm sure I could have bought more.

Anyhow, glad this week is over so I can get on to more productive things.

Interesting to note that if converted into AE miles, 1051 boxes would generate ~160K miles. However I wasn't prepared to fork over ~ $2000 for KD or AE non-status miles! So I am happy with 66K Club Sobeys points (33K AE miles) and no out of pocket cost. Haven't decided yet if I will convert the points to AE miles or just buy gift cards. Maybe a $50 Petrocan card would be appropriate to recoup my gas costs.

Now I have to find a food bank willing to give me a receipt for $2K worth of KD. I don't relish moving all those boxes again, but I want to reclaim that corner of my garage!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: meh
Yesterday I talked with some of the guys at Sobeys National IT. One said he'd read about this happening during the last week and had been wondering if it was intentional or accidental. Apparently there has been occasional accidents like this in the past. The one that they talked about was around the awarding of 1 million Air Miles without the need to make any purchase at all. I don't know when/how that happened nor how it was resolved.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, DL, AC Gate Lice, WS, UA
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Go back and reread the math lesson in post #18. I have well over $1000 of KD in my garage that I haven't paid a penny for and enough accumulated Sobeys points over the last 3 days to deposit 20K AE miles into my account.
Actually there is some truth that we are "paying" for the points - these points cost the vendor (Kraft in this case) anywhere from approx $0.0100-$0.0097 each which gets built in to the price of KD, of course there are more things other than the cost of product that get built in to the invoice cost; ad space in the flyer - approx 75K-125K, a good portion of the price reduction and plain ol' "inside money". All of these things un-necessarily inflate the price consumers see on the shelf.

In the end it's still a good deal to cherry pick this "event" and I'd say Sobeys totally missed the mark with this loss leader; as we have seen a number of people loaded up on this item alone and nothing else which is where Sobeys (and Kraft) threw a bunch of money away.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Kraft Dinner 1.99 per box with 300 bonus club sobeys points...or 150 AP miles.
Most misleading post detail as apparently it was only the special flavoured versions of Kraft Dinner that were offering the bonus not the original flavour, and not at all Sobey's stores.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Most misleading post detail as apparently it was only the special flavoured versions of Kraft Dinner that were offering the bonus not the original flavour, and not at all Sobey's stores.
The deal is dead. Why complain about it now?

Besides, in all of the Sobeys stores they have a price tag with a big 300 bonus ClubSobeys points sticker on it...on all boxes except the original one. And the spirals are still the original flavour but they had the bonus points

I never said anything about the deal being valid in the Urban Fresh stores, which the Spadina and Front/Sherbourne stores are now considered to be.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Cost of time, cost of gas.. should be factored in..

But liquidity of AE miles is very good..

I doubt that Food Banks will issue a tax receipt for donated goods.. but I recommend Margarita Girl and others to produce a receipt evidencing cost, and see if the charity accountant will do something..

Congrats, to those who made an event out of this novelty deal.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
just wanted to say thanks to the OP, there was a limit of 6 at the store I went to, only bought 12 in two trips, but it's great that it's free with some leftover points to transfer to AE

guess my lesson learned is that i shouldn't ignore the sobeys flyer in the future
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Wow what a complete miss...I can't believe I didn't realize it...If I just wanted AP miles, for that amount of money I can wait until Amex has their Plat card on promo, get 50K plus have plat benefits for a year.

Even better is the SPG 20K (which turns into 25K AP - or 30K when they have a transfer bonus) for $120 per year.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Wow what a complete miss...I can't believe I didn't realize it...If I just wanted AP miles, for that amount of money I can wait until Amex has their Plat card on promo, get 50K plus have plat benefits for a year.

Even better is the SPG 20K (which turns into 25K AP - or 30K when they have a transfer bonus) for $120 per year.
Based on Margarita Girl's calculation, you should have been able to pay for your mac and cheese with the gift cards.. so your Kraft Dinner is free..

and get the myriad of bonus points as extra.. so better than the Amex Plat, or SPG 20K.. because you're up Kraft Dinner and the extra points..

But if you want a really good deal, sign up for the Amex Gold, and get 15K welcome bonus points, annual fee waived.. double miles whenever you shop at a grocery store, drug store and gas station.. convert Amex to AE 1:1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.