Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Post Your Sobeys Kraft Dinner Clearances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Post Your Sobeys Kraft Dinner Clearances

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I went to Sobey's again today at 777 Bay st. The Kraft Dinners were re-stocked selling for 99 cents. However there was no deal for Sobeys points. Could this be because it is a new shop?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
777 Bay is an "Urban Fresh" mini-supermarket. They have different promos.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rehoult
Just a reminder for everybody donating to the food bank, you should be able to get a tax receipt for the original price paid for the KD from most food banks, which means 50% of it back in cold, hard cash at the end of the year.

For those of you buying by the pallet, it could be substantial.
I hope I can find a food bank willing to give me a receipt (Richmond Hill Food Bank said they couldn't), otherwise this really won't be worth my time. I am not putting out any cash (have recouped my seed money in the form of Sobeys gift cards) and keep buying more boxes of KD with existing Sobeys points. (I changed my earning preference from AE miles to Sobeys pts for this week.) Since I earn 302 pts per box, and it costs me 250 pts to buy a box, that's a net profit of 52 pts or 26 AE miles per box. I currently have 460 boxes in my garage, so they are worth 11,960 AE miles which isn't a lot considering how much time this iis taking me. However, if I can get ~12K AE miles and a taxable donation receipt for $920, well, now we're talking! (Remember, I am not out one penny at this moment.)

Originally Posted by CX828
I went to Sobey's again today at 777 Bay st. The Kraft Dinners were re-stocked selling for 99 cents. However there was no deal for Sobeys points. Could this be because it is a new shop?
I don't think that is the right KD. 99 cents is the price for the original version (and it's currently selling for $1.35 at my Sobeys). The bonus pts only apply to the premium varieties of KD (whole wheat, three cheese, vegetable, white cheddar, etc) which are currently selling for $1.99.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by DaveTO
To help us better keep the miles in our pockets, let's post when we clean out a store, so that others know not to go there (without tipping off management)

Saturday afternoon - Cleaned out Dupont/Christie (200 boxes) & Dundas/Winston Churchill (150 boxes)

Sunday evening - Cleaned out the Danforth/Woodbine Sobeys for 330+ boxes
Holy crap. I hope you plan to donate some to the local food bank

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I hope I can find a food bank willing to give me a receipt (Richmond Hill Food Bank said they couldn't), otherwise this really won't be worth my time. ... I currently have 460 boxes in my garage,
Still wondering it worth all the efforts... Yea, getthing a tax receipt would be nice...

So u r from RH eh. If I see someone grabbing all the KD, that could be you.. I was going to do grocery shopping at Sobyes yesterday...

Last edited by Away from YYZ; Oct 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DaveTO
777 Bay is an "Urban Fresh" mini-supermarket. They have different promos.
Most of the downtown/midtown Sobeys are now so called Urban Fresh stores, which as noted, have different promotions and fliers. Apparently some were recently changed, and even the Sobeys website has it wrong in some cases (eg Broadview & Mortimer).

The hunt continues.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm getting kind of tired myself. I saw a manager grab 3 other stockguys and they grabbed about 100 boxes off the shelf and put them in the back room. I guess my mug shot has been passed around the west-end Sobeys stores

The important thing to remember is that yes, the tax receipt would be nice, but we are giving thousands of people meals that they wouldn't be having.

MG, if push comes to shove, get someone there to give you a receipt that says you donated x number of boxes of KD, keep the Sobeys receipts, claim the donation on your tax return and fight it out IF you get audited.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Seems to me a tax receipt should only be issued for what you are out of pocket....not what you pyramid it up to, unless of course you declare that as income
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Seems to me a tax receipt should only be issued for what you are out of pocket....not what you pyramid it up to, unless of course you declare that as income
IMO, a tax receipt should be issued for the FMV of the goods donated, no different from when I donate a computer to a charity and they give me a receipt based on what they deem the FMV to be. In this case, the FMV is a easily derived from the receipt, whereas in my example, valuing used goods can in fact be quite a nightmare. Through a charity my wife serves on the Board of we 'buy Christmas' for a family every year, and the charity gives a receipt for the value of everything you provide as long as you keep the receipt from your purchase. Whether was paid for in cash, gift card or store credit doesn't matter.

I think I may give the CRA a no-names call tomorrow and see what they say about about receipts for food and similar consumable goods.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mapleg
So if I redeemed my Sobeys points for AE miles (and paid cash for the additional boxes), I would be entitled to a receipt, but if I redeem them for groceries, I am not? Should I be declaring my AE miles as income?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

So if I redeemed my Sobeys points for AE miles (and paid cash for the additional boxes), I would be entitled to a receipt, but if I redeem them for groceries, I am not? Should I be declaring my AE miles as income?
AE miles have no cash value. They mention this on their website and all promotional material.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:44 pm

Richmond Hill stores cleared out. Seem to be having a similar promo with some cheese sticks.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I was not previously a Club Sobeys member but my household goes through a lot of KD so I thought I would give this a whirl. The math makes sense.

I filled out the paper application in-store (Kipling / Queensway) and my points total on the receipt looks good, but my account info is not online yet. Manual fulfillment, I guess.

I also did not choose auto-deposit to Aeroplan yet, as I filled out the application at a check-out and there was someone behind me, so I wanted to be as quick as possible.

Does anyone know if Sobeys/Aeroplan name matches accounts? I am unlikely to become a regular Sobeys shopper (not impressed with their prices on my staples) and my wife's account would benefit from the one-time bump more than mine...
On your application form, you can mark down to automatically transfer Sobey's points to AE.. Thus you need to provide your AE account# and will transfer automatically each month..

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
After buying out the Aurora store on the weekend, the shelves were restocked this morning. I cleaned them out again. Still no limit imposed there.
During the day, ask the guys in the back, if they have anymore if the stocks are cleared off the shelf..

...I don't think that is the right KD. 99 cents is the price for the original version (and it's currently selling for $1.35 at my Sobeys). The bonus pts only apply to the premium varieties of KD (whole wheat, three cheese, vegetable, white cheddar, etc) which are currently selling for $1.99.
For $1.99 per box.. seems expensive for regular.. but makes sense for premium..

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Holy crap. I hope you plan to donate some to the local food bank

Makes for fantastic Christmas present.. when unveiling the crate..

To see the surprise on their faces, when its not a car, or a hot tub..
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:52 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Off-topic slightly: consider donating cash to the food bank too. They know what they need, and money lets them solve problems when they occur. I'm a monthly donor to the Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto, because financial stability (predictable budgets) are very important for any organization.

Also, I don't think I've had KD in a decade. Might be time for another box, just to remind myself of the taste.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c_9
Also, I don't think I've had KD in a decade. Might be time for another box, just to remind myself of the taste.
How about you just eat the box and split the difference?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by tracon
please don't give this stuff to the food bank.
The financially disadvantaged are unhealthy enough without having to eat this garbage.
lmao

+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.