Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has it already expired, or is it going to soon?

It's pretty easy to go to Esso. If I lived in Canada and you didn't, I'd go top her up. But... you have so many ways of earning miles.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: AP basic (formerly prestige, wannabe SE)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Mrs. SAP is facing AP mile expiration despite having bought something through the eStore in January which hasn't posted yet. Who do we contact?

Thanks.
Esso or Home Hardware usually posts in a day or two. Are you near one? If not I could go for you and credit a mile to her account number.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Don't you need to scan a card at time of fill up?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Wings100
Don't you need to scan a card at time of fill up?
No, you can manually enter the number ( with cashier, not at automated pumps)
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Thx I did not know that
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes this works great, in fact I did it yesterday for Mrs. YZF_Elite who had an expiry coming in early March.

Sadly I can remember her AP #, but I can't remember my own social insurance number at times!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mrpickle
Esso or Home Hardware usually posts in a day or two. Are you near one? If not I could go for you and credit a mile to her account number.
Thank you. I asked her just now and she'll get a tank at Esso which isn't far away. I appreciate your offer!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by stevneil
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2¢/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
yeah but every us airline started adopting the same policies as well, and canadian companies are renowned for greed and screwing customers over

it sucks and i feel for you but the basic thing of any type of currency is know the terms: fees, policies, terms, conditions. and they do have your point expiration clearly listed, were you never logging into your account?

and your no esso in sfo is moot: you didn't know that the points expired in the first place. nonetheless you could have earned errorplan off oal travel, car rentals, hotels--even the knights f---ing inn or super 8

anyways errorplan sucks, maybe this is the good lord working in his/her mysterious ways
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by phbl
yeah but every us airline started adopting the same policies as well, and canadian companies are renowned for greed and screwing customers over

it sucks and i feel for you but the basic thing of any type of currency is know the terms: fees, policies, terms, conditions. and they do have your point expiration clearly listed, were you never logging into your account?

and your no esso in sfo is moot: you didn't know that the points expired in the first place. nonetheless you could have earned errorplan off oal travel, car rentals, hotels--even the knights f---ing inn or super 8

anyways errorplan sucks, maybe this is the good lord working in his/her mysterious ways
I believe that's a 5-year-old post that you're replying to.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AC E, HH Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Has it already expired, or is it going to soon?

It's pretty easy to go to Esso. If I lived in Canada and you didn't, I'd go top her up. But... you have so many ways of earning miles.
it already expired, but previous threads mentioned if I can get a aeroplan partner to backdate the miles with a receipt then it would post with the date of the receipt... Seems like only partner thats near me that does this is Home hardware... now only if i can find a receipt from last year
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: aeroplan
Massive aeroplan points expiry due to to an error out of my control- looking for help

So, I found out some bad news today. My aeroplan points expired recently and I've lost 200,000 points!

The loss of points was due to inactivity for 12 months per Aeroplan.

The truth is that I did a single transaction in the past year. It was made a few months ago which should have extended the life of my points another 12 months- I bought gas at Esso, and I very clearly remember swiping my card at the pump. I made this transaction specifically so I could extend my points. I assumed it had gone through successfully. Turns out that it didn't register for some reason and now Aeroplan has voided all my points and I've lost a lot of points and it is quite painful.

Clearly the points should be redeemed as I did my part of the contract (I performed my one transaction I am obligated to do)... however, it appears that I will lose out because of an error that was out of my control.

I have contacted Esso and they not say they can not help me unless I have the paper receipt from the pump (I don't have it). A credit card statement is not adequate since Esso says they need the invoice number and that they have no way of looking up the invoice number on my behalf ( I asked them to do this multiple ways and they were steadfast about this).

I have also contacted aeroplan through their website but the email response says it will take at least a week before I hear any response from them.

The reason why I'm writing to see if anyone has any advise on how to ensure I get my points back.

I hate to say it, but I'm really quite pessimistic that Aeroplan will be reasonable about my problem. I'm afraid that the customer service staff will say NO outright to my claim and say there is nothing they can do to help me. Further, they may be able to point to small print in the contract that stats they aren't responsible for errors on Esso's pump readers and that they don't have to give me the points back and they will not under any circumstances do so.

Normally I wouldn't worry about losing a few points lost from a single transaction, however, this single transaction is the only thing that is keeping me from losing a decade of saved points.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem - can anyone help me with any advice whatsoever? Is there any precedent that anyone is aware of? Does anyone know who I should escalate the issue to if I run into if problems getting help from their customer service? Anything will help.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Call and beg. I don't know what else you can do.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Pretty much what SAP said. Also, there used to be an option where you could pay to have the points re-instated. Not sure if that still exists.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by j_the_p
Pretty much what SAP said. Also, there used to be an option where you could pay to have the points re-instated. Not sure if that still exists.
Seems like it does. This is taken from the AE FAQ:

"REINSTATING EXPIRED MILES
What happens if my miles do expire?

If your Aeroplan Miles expire, your Aeroplan Card and Aeroplan Number remain valid, so you do not need to re-enrol in the Aeroplan Program the next time you want to accumulate miles. Simply use your card and your newly earned miles will be credited to your Aeroplan Account.

Expired miles are eligible for reinstatement and you may reinstate a portion or all of your expired miles for the administrative fees of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes). Please read more about our 12-month mileage expiry policy.

If you wish to reinstate your Aeroplan Miles, you can call the Aeroplan Contact Centre: 1-800-361-5373 / 1-514-395-0300."

That's going to work out to a lot of money for 200K points. Probably best if the OP pursues the option to get proof as far as s/he can before resorting to this.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
If the transaction is that important I'd set reminders and keep receipts, and make sure that the points registered, which is exactly what I did to extend my AA and UA miles using groupon.

Other methods would be to look for hotel or rental car transactions you did within the last 6 months or so.

Years ago I had to beg UA to reinstate my 100k miles with a convincing (and true) story involving hotel not transferring the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.