Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Old Apr 22, 11, 7:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 84
AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Due to inactivity, AP just zeroed out nearly 40,000 miles. I did not see any warnings anywhere that they were about to expire. Disgusting. How can I get them re-instated?
stevneil is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 7:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,407
By paying 0.02 per mile plus an admin fee.
DaveTO is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: AC E
Posts: 643
Originally Posted by stevneil View Post
Due to inactivity, AP just zeroed out nearly 40,000 miles. I did not see any warnings anywhere that they were about to expire. Disgusting. How can I get them re-instated?
Sorry, but I've stopped having much sympathy for these cases. The account inactivity policy has been in effect for several years now, and there have been news articles every year since about people who lost their miles as a result. I don't know how you wouldn't know.

Also, the account expiry date is always shown in the "your account" page on aeroplan.com, and all it takes to keep your account active is any kind of activity; earning or redemption. Even just swiping your card at Esso. I'd say a 2- or 3-year account inactivity expiry might be more reasonable, but still.

Sorry to be harsh; I know it sucks, but at this point I think you only have yourself to blame. As DaveTO said, you can pay to get your points back, but it's probably not worth it at 2/mi.
klparrot is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 1:57 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
Sorry, but I've stopped having much sympathy for these cases. The account inactivity policy has been in effect for several years now, and there have been news articles every year since about people who lost their miles as a result. I don't know how you wouldn't know.

Also, the account expiry date is always shown in the "your account" page on aeroplan.com, and all it takes to keep your account active is any kind of activity; earning or redemption. Even just swiping your card at Esso. I'd say a 2- or 3-year account inactivity expiry might be more reasonable, but still.

Sorry to be harsh; I know it sucks, but at this point I think you only have yourself to blame. As DaveTO said, you can pay to get your points back, but it's probably not worth it at 2/mi.
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
stevneil is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 2:34 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, NYC, somewhere on planet Earth
Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 8,289
Originally Posted by stevneil View Post
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
Sorry to break it to you, but Virgin America cancelled their YYZ flights.
neuron is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 4:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,395
You didn't lose much. 40K points are definitely not worth $800. Just move on and don't collect AP any more.

AP is hoping more people like the OP to have tons of AP points taken away. That's one of the ways they make money.
jarusoba is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 4:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Programs: A Few
Posts: 2,338
Actually the fee for reinstating points is $0.01/mile plus $30 service charge. Still a rip-off, but not nearly as bad as $0.02/mile.

"Expired miles are eligible for reinstatement up to 7 years following the last accumulation or redemption transaction in the account, whichever is later. You may reinstate a portion or all of your expired miles for an administrative fee of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes). Reinstated miles will be available for redemption for 7 years from the date of reinstatement as long as you remain active in the program."
yycworldtraveler is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 4:53 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,051
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler View Post
Actually the fee for reinstating points is $0.01/mile plus $30 service charge. Still a rip-off, but not nearly as bad as $0.02/mile.

"Expired miles are eligible for reinstatement up to 7 years following the last accumulation or redemption transaction in the account, whichever is later. You may reinstate a portion or all of your expired miles for an administrative fee of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes). Reinstated miles will be available for redemption for 7 years from the date of reinstatement as long as you remain active in the program."

Given that miles are worth about 85 cents, still a ripoff.

But eh, what can you expect from Aeroplan?
Stranger is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 5:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Closer to YTZ
Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Posts: 2,554
I hear that all the seized points are redistributed to the executives as Christmas bonuses?

You wuz robbed by white collar muggers.
Tangoer is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 7:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*SE100K-1M
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by stevneil View Post
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
All the major airlines have expiration dates on their miles ... I'm sure you've heard ... You neglected it ... You forgot ... Too bad ... It's just miles, you're still alive
YUL_Around_The_World is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 8:13 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,051
Originally Posted by Tangoer View Post
I hear that all the seized points are redistributed to the executives as Christmas bonuses?
One of the first enhancements after Aeroplan was split.
Stranger is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 8:45 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
At 0.01 per mile, it may still be worth reinstating. Currently, before July 15th, 2011, you can redeem your 40,000 miles for a round trip to any Hawaii destination. Usually these types of trips run more $400 base plus taxes. Our spring break, or Christmas vacations may go triple at $1,200 base plus taxes.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 8:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC *P
Posts: 1,807
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World View Post
All the major airlines have expiration dates on their miles ... I'm sure you've heard ... You neglected it ... You forgot ... Too bad ... It's just miles, you're still alive
Not to be argumentative, but DL SkyMiles do not expire based on a recently changed policy...

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...jsp#expiration
mudd_stuffin is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 8:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC *P
Posts: 1,807
Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
Sorry, but I've stopped having much sympathy for these cases. The account inactivity policy has been in effect for several years now, and there have been news articles every year since about people who lost their miles as a result. I don't know how you wouldn't know.

Also, the account expiry date is always shown in the "your account" page on aeroplan.com, and all it takes to keep your account active is any kind of activity; earning or redemption. Even just swiping your card at Esso. I'd say a 2- or 3-year account inactivity expiry might be more reasonable, but still.

Sorry to be harsh; I know it sucks, but at this point I think you only have yourself to blame. As DaveTO said, you can pay to get your points back, but it's probably not worth it at 2/mi.
To add to the second paragraph, I have seen emails from Aeroplan warning about inactivity for about a year before...
mudd_stuffin is offline  
Old Apr 22, 11, 11:48 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,051
When you check your account on aeroplan.com, it also tells you clearly when the account expires.

(BTW, just fixing my typo, is it not supposed to be areoplan in Quebec? )
Stranger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: