Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Due to inactivity, AP just zeroed out nearly 40,000 miles. I did not see any warnings anywhere that they were about to expire. Disgusting. How can I get them re-instated?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
By paying 0.02 per mile plus an admin fee.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by stevneil
Due to inactivity, AP just zeroed out nearly 40,000 miles. I did not see any warnings anywhere that they were about to expire. Disgusting. How can I get them re-instated?
Sorry, but I've stopped having much sympathy for these cases. The account inactivity policy has been in effect for several years now, and there have been news articles every year since about people who lost their miles as a result. I don't know how you wouldn't know.

Also, the account expiry date is always shown in the "your account" page on aeroplan.com, and all it takes to keep your account active is any kind of activity; earning or redemption. Even just swiping your card at Esso. I'd say a 2- or 3-year account inactivity expiry might be more reasonable, but still.

Sorry to be harsh; I know it sucks, but at this point I think you only have yourself to blame. As DaveTO said, you can pay to get your points back, but it's probably not worth it at 2˘/mi.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klparrot
Sorry, but I've stopped having much sympathy for these cases. The account inactivity policy has been in effect for several years now, and there have been news articles every year since about people who lost their miles as a result. I don't know how you wouldn't know.

Also, the account expiry date is always shown in the "your account" page on aeroplan.com, and all it takes to keep your account active is any kind of activity; earning or redemption. Even just swiping your card at Esso. I'd say a 2- or 3-year account inactivity expiry might be more reasonable, but still.

Sorry to be harsh; I know it sucks, but at this point I think you only have yourself to blame. As DaveTO said, you can pay to get your points back, but it's probably not worth it at 2˘/mi.
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2˘/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Well .... We don't have any Esso stations down here in San Francisco, nor did they make a big deal out of it in the Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, or the Palo Alto Weekly.

It's not worth paying 2˘/mi. Honestly, it's becoming not worth flying AC without the loyalty program. The only slight benefit of my miles is that it can be quite costly to fly to Canada. I can zip across the US on Virgin America or JetBlue for a song, and Virgin now goes to YYZ.
Sorry to break it to you, but Virgin America cancelled their YYZ flights.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
You didn't lose much. 40K points are definitely not worth $800. Just move on and don't collect AP any more.

AP is hoping more people like the OP to have tons of AP points taken away. That's one of the ways they make money.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: A Few
Actually the fee for reinstating points is $0.01/mile plus $30 service charge. Still a rip-off, but not nearly as bad as $0.02/mile.

"Expired miles are eligible for reinstatement up to 7 years following the last accumulation or redemption transaction in the account, whichever is later. You may reinstate a portion or all of your expired miles for an administrative fee of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes). Reinstated miles will be available for redemption for 7 years from the date of reinstatement as long as you remain active in the program."
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Actually the fee for reinstating points is $0.01/mile plus $30 service charge. Still a rip-off, but not nearly as bad as $0.02/mile.

"Expired miles are eligible for reinstatement up to 7 years following the last accumulation or redemption transaction in the account, whichever is later. You may reinstate a portion or all of your expired miles for an administrative fee of C$30 plus C$0.01 per mile reinstated (plus any applicable taxes). Reinstated miles will be available for redemption for 7 years from the date of reinstatement as long as you remain active in the program."

Given that miles are worth about 85 cents, still a ripoff.

But eh, what can you expect from Aeroplan?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
I hear that all the seized points are redistributed to the executives as Christmas bonuses?

You wuz robbed by white collar muggers.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM

All the major airlines have expiration dates on their miles ... I'm sure you've heard ... You neglected it ... You forgot ... Too bad ... It's just miles, you're still alive
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tangoer
I hear that all the seized points are redistributed to the executives as Christmas bonuses?
One of the first enhancements after Aeroplan was split.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
At 0.01 per mile, it may still be worth reinstating. Currently, before July 15th, 2011, you can redeem your 40,000 miles for a round trip to any Hawaii destination. Usually these types of trips run more $400 base plus taxes. Our spring break, or Christmas vacations may go triple at $1,200 base plus taxes.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
All the major airlines have expiration dates on their miles ... I'm sure you've heard ... You neglected it ... You forgot ... Too bad ... It's just miles, you're still alive
Not to be argumentative, but DL SkyMiles do not expire based on a recently changed policy...

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...jsp#expiration
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by klparrot

To add to the second paragraph, I have seen emails from Aeroplan warning about inactivity for about a year before...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you check your account on aeroplan.com, it also tells you clearly when the account expires.

(BTW, just fixing my typo, is it not supposed to be areoplan in Quebec? )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.