Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AP Just wiped out my account - now what???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
My wife let her points expire about 5 or 6 years ago (she didn't have very many, about 8k as I recall from a flight to Europe, and she never collected them actively) and we found that Home Hardware was very cooperative at backdating points retroactively to reinstate expired points. Just had to find a receipt that didn't have any points credited and it was relatively easy.
Does backdating points work to restore Aeroplan points without incurring the 1 cent per mile fee with Aeroplan? It would be a miracle solution if it worked and the 1 year gap would have to be audited throughout the entire account history from the backdate by Aeroplan
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for sharing NotJustDreaming and welcome to FT! I echo the sentiment, great first post! ^

And great job of digging up a relevant thread!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Does backdating points work to restore Aeroplan points without incurring the 1 cent per mile fee with Aeroplan? It would be a miracle solution if it worked and the 1 year gap would have to be audited throughout the entire account history from the backdate by Aeroplan

There was no fee at all to add those missing miles which then delayed the one year inactivity cutoff. $0 cost for us to get back to status quo.

Though it may be a six month window for missing merchant points, not a one year period.

When I spoke with the AE rep about how to proceed he suggested I look for any boarding passes in the six months prior to DH letting the points expire. He further said that the request 'to AE' to get those points credited had to be within six months following the points expiring. I had just a few days window to find that boarding pass, which in any event didn't exist.

He also said that this wouldnt work for merchants, just airlines. I extrapolated that six month requirement to any partner. It doesn't make sense that a merchant couldn't correct an ommission/error. Maybe it just means that AE won't make an effort to correct but the merchant can. It seems that companies have a specific section of employees whose job it is to credit missing points. One woman I spoke with said she could put in a request to submit missing points as far back as I had a receipt. She didn't think it would be a problem with AE either. The Esso rep though explained that even though she will submit it, it may not be accepted by AE.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
There was no fee at all to add those missing miles which then delayed the one year inactivity cutoff. $0 cost for us to get back to status quo.

Though it may be a six month window for missing merchant points, not a one year period.

When I spoke with the AE rep about how to proceed he suggested I look for any boarding passes in the six months prior to DH letting the points expire. He further said that the request 'to AE' to get those points credited had to be within six months following the points expiring. I had just a few days window to find that boarding pass, which in any event didn't exist.

He also said that this wouldnt work for merchants, just airlines. I extrapolated that six month requirement to any partner. It doesn't make sense that a merchant couldn't correct an ommission/error. Maybe it just means that AE won't make an effort to correct but the merchant can. It seems that companies have a specific section of employees whose job it is to credit missing points. One woman I spoke with said she could put in a request to submit missing points as far back as I had a receipt. She didn't think it would be a problem with AE either. The Esso rep though explained that even though she will submit it, it may not be accepted by AE.
It didn't cost us anything either. We were only about 2 months past the expiration, so perhaps the relatively short time lapse worked in our favour. But Aeroplan simply said that if you can get a merchant to credit missing points back to before the expiry, then they would reinstate them. That's when we went digging for receipts. Fortunately, because of a home-based business at the time, we were saving just about every receipt we had anyway.

There's no reason why Aeroplan shouldn't restore the points when a merchant backdates a transaction, since there are many merchants who are famous (or infamous?) for being extremely slow to post points in the normal course. Many don't even post until you chase them (Hertz, etc.). Some will even backdate reversals of points, as some people learned during the recent star challenge and certain e-store partners!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
It didn't cost us anything either. We were only about 2 months past the expiration, so perhaps the relatively short time lapse worked in our favour. But Aeroplan simply said that if you can get a merchant to credit missing points back to before the expiry, then they would reinstate them. That's when we went digging for receipts. Fortunately, because of a home-based business at the time, we were saving just about every receipt we had anyway.

There's no reason why Aeroplan shouldn't restore the points when a merchant backdates a transaction, since there are many merchants who are famous (or infamous?) for being extremely slow to post points in the normal course. Many don't even post until you chase them (Hertz, etc.). Some will even backdate reversals of points, as some people learned during the recent star challenge and certain e-store partners!
The key is to have a merchant backdate.. A merchant can correct miles but use the current date. The merchant would have to knowledgeable and savvy enough to know how to backdate the points.

Great contribution to everyone here and adds a valuable dimension to reinstating points.^
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The key is to have a merchant backdate.. A merchant can correct miles but use the current date. The merchant would have to knowledgeable and savvy enough to know how to backdate the points.
The parrot has returned!

Thanks for repeating exactly what CanadaDH said.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveTO
The parrot has returned!

Thanks for repeating exactly what CanadaDH said.
The point I was making is that a merchant can correct the points using the current date. If that is the case, then the Aeroplan retroactive restore would not happen.

The key is to have the merchant backdate, and to ensure that the backdate happens in order for an Aeroplan Account to be restored. The consumer needs to be sharp enough to request this from the merchant, and the merchant sharp enough to backdate the transaction, not just restore the points.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:16 pm

Thumbs down Aeroplan system lost account miles what to do?

Hi,

I've been an loyal aeroplan member since 2002 and have kept myself abreast with all their various rules regarding their miles expiration policy. When I got a notification in Oct 2013 that my miles were going to expire in Jan 2014, I quickly went over to an Esso gas station, filled up my tank and got the points added to my aeroplan card. A few weeks later I checked my account online and the miles had been credited to my account and I figured my account was going to be in good standing for another year.

I recently checked my account and it shows a miles balance of 0, stating that the miles on my account had expired in Jan.

I've contacted Aeroplan and all they can say is we have no record you have earned any miles.

I can pull up my credit card records and show them that I made a purchase at Esso, but my credit card statement does not prove to them that I presented an aeroplan card. So I looked for other evidence I could present and sent them a copy of a Luftansa flight (I bought with cash) and presented the ticket number to them showing them that those flight miles would have been credited to account causing my account to be active.
Their customer representative simple ignored the evidence I presented to him and said we have no records showing this. All he kept saying is you have to pay to get your miles reinstated.

The expiration of aeroplan miles has always been controversial but it almost seems like aeroplan is going to the extent of falsifying records to fraudulently expire miles.

Has this happened to anyone on this forum?

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my miles back or take action against aeroplan?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by dom44
A few weeks later I checked my account online and the miles had been credited to my account and I figured my account was going to be in good standing for another year.
Do you have proof? screen print?

.. sent them a copy of a Luftansa flight (I bought with cash) and presented the ticket number to them showing them that those flight miles would have been credited to account causing my account to be active.
Their customer representative simple ignored the evidence I presented
"As of December 16, 2013, all members will be required to process their retroactive flight credit requests online, go to Aeroplan.com/mileagecredit to access the enhanced self-service "Request Mileage Credit" form.

If you have sent documentation to the Aeroplan Contact Centre regarding a missing flight credit on or after December 16, 2013, kindly note that Aeroplan will not process the request."

Not all Lufthansa flights earn Aeroplan miles:

https://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles...fthansaAirways
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by beep88
Do you have proof? screen print?

"As of December 16, 2013, all members will be required to process their retroactive flight credit requests online, go to Aeroplan.com/mileagecredit to access the enhanced self-service "Request Mileage Credit" form.

If you have sent documentation to the Aeroplan Contact Centre regarding a missing flight credit on or after December 16, 2013, kindly note that Aeroplan will not process the request."

Not all Lufthansa flights earn Aeroplan miles:

https://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles...fthansaAirways
including K class, so it is better to fly another partner where possible.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: *void
I can pull up my credit card records and show them that I made a purchase at Esso, but my credit card statement does not prove to them that I presented an aeroplan card.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my miles back or take action against aeroplan?
As mentioned, do you have ANY of your Esso receipts, which show your Aeroplan number at the bottom, proving that you accrued your gas purchase to Aeroplan? Did you read NotJustDreaming's posts above and on previous page(s). Perhaps you should be contacting the merchants to see if any can help you get some points posted retroctively. Also, try calling and speaking to another rep...not all Aeroplan reps are equal. Just HUACA, and you may get a more helpful rep.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
Well, they weren't technically MY points... But either way now I don't have to get divorced!

A little background:

I've redeemed travel rewards through Visa Infinite before but I'm new to strategically collecting rewards and only just signed up for credit cards based on the bonus.

Around the time I was figuring out the value of travel hacking, my husband let over 240,000 Aeroplan points expire. Yes, very painful. It was all earned through flights for work. No credit card spend. Certainly no strategy. When he was top tier he didn't even bother using the free upgrade certificates he received and only occassionally used the lounge. No idea of the perks. I didn't pay much attention to it because I didnt get to travel much by non charter air.

His rationale was they were all about to expire under the seven year rule anyway. He thought there was no point in doing a simple purchase as he wasn't going to bother with Aeroplan anymore.

I'm juggling activation dates and spend requirement to accumulate 90k through credit card bonuses and doing my spend patiently watching my balance slowly creep up. He wipes out 240k! Sigh....

I find out when I tell him 'good news, aeroplan is waiving the seven year expiry'. He's got balls because he told me right away!

Anyway, after asking him repeatedly to call Aeroplan and explain his stupidity, err, misguided ways, I finally did it myself. Not much they could do.

The $.01 per mile charge is still in effect to reinstate them. Plus the $30 fee. Plus tax!

At the same time I was looking through all our receipts for the last year prior to the points expiring ... I'm the family CFO and I have a habit of taping them in my agenda if there is a remote possibility of returning the purchased item. I even found some gas receipts from Esso.

I called every Aeroplan partner that we had a receipt for. Not as large a task as it sounds because we don't do much shopping in general. The lady at Esso scoffed in disgust. On call back a guy told me he'd put in a request to have the points added. Some companies were much more helpful than others.

I pretty much gave up. But to my surprise, some points were recently credited for purchases several months ago. Yay! We got the points back and now I have to learn how to strategically spend them.

Was it worth the two hours I spent on the phone with those few companies? Absolutely! Was it worth the angst every time I thought of the waste? No way.

Some of you said at the beginning of this thread that you don't have sympathy for people this happens to. But not everyone follows it as closely as you do. Until just recently I didn't even consider logging in to my account let alone his. But now I know what we can do with them.

I've resolved not to think of all the spending we've done over the years without a rewards strategy. And at least I can get over my frustration with DH for letting these points expire in the first place. He knew I was thinking of Fiji...

I guess most of the people who let points expire have small balances which can easily be recovered with a credit card bonus.

Sorry for the long post. I can't be brief for some reason.

Hello by the way!
sorry to bring up a old thread, but my account was wiped out as well since end of Dec, and I'm trying to do the suggestion above, however Esso refuse to do it, and not sure what other receipts I can find? What stores were you successful in backdating the points? Aeroplan does not seem to have that many store partners...
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Gold
any ideas anyone?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by getliquid
any ideas anyone?
There is a list on their website.

https://www3.aeroplan.com/EarnMiles.do
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Mrs. SAP is facing AP mile expiration despite having bought something through the eStore in January which hasn't posted yet. Who do we contact?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.