Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to launch cut-rate vacation carrier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to launch cut-rate vacation carrier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
What I've heard....
The pilots have to agree to this. YYZ crews aren't in favour. It is expected that is where the brunt of the low wage airline will end up.
Low cost pay will be, one level below what a mainline crew makes.
ie:767 low cost will make what a mainline 320 pilot makes.

Airlines just don't learn. There has yet to be a succesful version of this idea.
I haven't researched it, but I'm guessing the competitors in these markets have an advantage in labor costs. Further more with J sales on these routes being low to nil, there only hope of making money is shifting lots of Y class passengers with low staff costs. It makes perfect sense for them to do so. If the unions keep labor costs high, eventually AC will be back in bankruptcy and I would hope the government will let it die at that point.

That's going to be the deal breaker, along with AC seeking a two-tier pension plan. Don't hold your breath waiting for AC pilots to ratify that contract.
AC WILL default on its pensions without a bail out, just look back on the article about the pilot with a 120K a year pension upon retirement. Does anyone think AC has the money to support this when more and more pilots retire? What have the returns been like in the stock market over the past 5 years?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:59 pm

The big question of the day is whether this new discount airline will have a seperate operating certificate or will it be another airline within an airline. This new venture could work if the unions would agree to reduced pay and new work rules that lead to increased productivity. With most legacy airline like AC, it is archaic work rules in collective bargaining agreements that limit management's ability to run a low cost operation and adapt to current economic conditions.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by bizaro86
Obviously, the most important question is whether flights on the new carrier earn status miles.
+1!! Even if it's 50%...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:18 pm

Enter Content
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:25 pm

I really hope that AC doesn't do this. I hated that AC pulled mainline service on certain routes from YEG such as to YVR back in the zip days.

It wouldn't be so bad if they hat fleet-wide AVOD and premium economy on leisure routes, but to bring in more planes like the 3 amigos with mainscreen entertainment is taking a big step backwards IMHO.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I really hope that AC doesn't do this. I hated that AC pulled mainline service on certain routes from YEG such as to YVR back in the zip days.

It wouldn't be so bad if they hat fleet-wide AVOD and premium economy on leisure routes, but to bring in more planes like the 3 amigos with mainscreen entertainment is taking a big step backwards IMHO.
I have no problem with AC being up-front with its passengers, like they were when they did the Zip/Tango 'experiments', that the service was going to be 'different'.

But I think we all hate arriving at a gate, and finding that instead of meals and a movie, we're in for a ride on some of the uglier aircraft in the fleet.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:09 am

may i propose a corporate slogan???

"Discount travel with exorbitant fuel surcharges!"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Didn't they try this with Tango and fail miserably?
No, they were very successful. Their goal was to drive competitors out of business, which they did. Once that was done, they rolled Tango back into the mainline brand.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:27 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
may i propose a corporate slogan???

"Discount travel with exorbitant fuel surcharges!"
How about "Low Fares are Just the Beginning... No seriously, they are really a comically tiny portion of your actual cost!"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:03 am

You get status miles on the lowest cost tickets on the three amigos routes to BCN/ATH etc. Hopefully they make the new international routes the same, or at least 50% status as someone else mentioned.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rather like the idea of a econ and premium economy aircraft for vacation destinations and Europe. I would love to see the YYZ -MAN route for example, on this new carrier. It is pretty hard to fly to the UK for less than $1000 with AC, but doable for around $5-600 on charter airlines. If AC could launch a product that took what AC does well but at a lower cost, I'd certainly give it a whirl!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

How about "Low Fares are Just the Beginning... No seriously, they are really a comically tiny portion of your actual cost!"
Ouch!!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Ouch!!
this relates back to the bigger corporate statement "were not happy until your not happy" ..... i believe i heard that from newspaper or other forums
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada head bullish on low-cost airline

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1987669/

Calin Rovinescu is moving full speed ahead with Air Canada’s global expansion.

Air Canada’s new low-cost airline division will be launched next winter, targeting under-served destinations in Europe, Mexico and the Caribbean with non-stop service, the chief executive officer said in an interview. He is undeterred by a setback suffered Friday, when the pilots’ union cancelled its ratification vote for a tentative labour agreement.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:18 am

Under-served Mexican and Caribbean destinations?? Are they crazy? How many flights per day are there from any given Canadian city to any given sunspot resort??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.