Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

eUpgrade - confirmation as to when I can upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eUpgrade - confirmation as to when I can upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: AC*E
Just a warning for those looking to request upgrades for European flights next week. Since North America has completed the Daylight Savings Time change, but Europe has not, the 168/96 hour window is based on the current timezone of the flight, not the future (i.e. actual) timezone of the flight.

e.g. I wanted to request an upgrade for my flight next Thursday from FRA-YYZ, departing at 10am Frankfurt time. Usually, this is 4am Toronto time, but since we have changed over to DST but Frankfurt has not, 10am Frankfurt = 5am Toronto time this week. However, since Frankfurt changes over to DST this Sunday (i.e. before the flight), then my flight really does leave at 10am Frankfurt/4am Toronto time next week, so I assumed [incorrectly] that it really should still open upgrade requests at 4am Toronto time today. But I learned the hard way that it only opened up at 5am Toronto time.

Of course, this will open happen twice a year and impact you only if your travel date/request date spans the changeover - but if you fall into this case, hopefully this will save you an hour of waking up early.

And yes, I know I could have just played it safe and woken up at 5am to request the upgrade, but I wanted to be first in line.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AC*SE
My biggest disappointment with the eUpgrade system (just happened to me last night) was discovering that I can't use eUpgrades during online checkin for AC-metal flights that operated under nonAC (ie. UA)-codeshare numbers. I have a number of these sorts of flights booked (where I intentionally chose to book AC-metal, even though it was on a UAissued ticket) under the impression that we could upgrade during online checkin, but apparently the 'technololgy' won't allow it and it needs to be done in person or at the gate. This will make it virtually impossible to use an eupgrade when one is rushing to connect between a nonAC flight and the AC-metal flight since one can only try to use the eupgrade at the gate.

Won't be making the same mistake of trying to book AC-metal anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by timriley12
My biggest disappointment with the eUpgrade system (just happened to me last night) was discovering that I can't use eUpgrades during online checkin for AC-metal flights that operated under nonAC (ie. UA)-codeshare numbers. I have a number of these sorts of flights booked (where I intentionally chose to book AC-metal, even though it was on a UAissued ticket) under the impression that we could upgrade during online checkin, but apparently the 'technololgy' won't allow it and it needs to be done in person or at the gate. This will make it virtually impossible to use an eupgrade when one is rushing to connect between a nonAC flight and the AC-metal flight since one can only try to use the eupgrade at the gate.

Won't be making the same mistake of trying to book AC-metal anymore.
dumb question... is that allow? i.e. upgrade on a UA/CO/XX codeshare, AC metal flight...

Is it because cheaper to book a codeshare flight?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
dumb question... is that allow? i.e. upgrade on a UA/CO/XX codeshare, AC metal flight...

Is it because cheaper to book a codeshare flight?
yes, and it's stated on the eUpgrade website under the section Codeshare flights, though from reading this thread it seems like they have problems processing the upgrade when you check-in online, is that correct or has anyone been able to request/secure an upgrade at T-24h on a codeshare
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by pxy_a
Based on my flight this week, I was only able to request the upgrade online at 24 x 7 hours before my flight departure time. I was trying periodically through the day beforehand (i.e. after "midnight" of T-7) and a few minutes beforehand but was only successful once it was exactly 168 hours prior.
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
96 hours = 4x24 hours from the time of individual flight departure...... not 4 calender days anymore
Originally Posted by Solomon2
From all the agents I've spoken to on the phone, they physically can't upgrade you until that 96 hour window. It should say "not eligible for upgrade" until exactly 96 hours prior, at which time you'll be able to.
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Instead of 7/4/2 days we should rephrase the upgrade windows as 168/96/48Hours going forward...
I searched through a lot of threads before I found this one - maybe it is time to update the FAQ - How to Upgrade on Air Canada. This clearly states the timeframe for upgrading flights on AC with the eUgrade credits, as experienced by FT'ers. Has Air Canada stated this anywhere? I searched their website, and could find no mention of the specific time of the flight in determining the time for an upgrade to be eligible.

Although I am disappointed in the lack of clarity about the exact time when upgrades can be requested, I actually think this is better in the sense that I am no longer waiting at midnight to do the upgrade. Since most of my flight times are during the day, the upgrade request window now comes at a more convenient time (for me ).

Of course, it is frustrating to receive the message that a flight is "Not eligible for upgrade" when in fact it is not within the time window, but is otherwise eligible. If the message stated "An upgrade may not be requested at this time" it would be more useful, because otherwise the passenger is wondering if their fare class is not eligible for some reason. Of course, on the same screen it does state "Upgrades can only be requested within 4 days of departure" but there is nothing to suggest that this affects eligibility.

My bottom line - I like the new timing for eUpgrades, but AC could improve its communications substantially on this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.