Search

New Roots Air fares simply awesome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:45 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

New Roots Air fares simply awesome

- Two new promotional fares launched today by Roots Air will give customers an opportunity to sample their premium Gold and Silver Class service on the airline's startup routes.
"This offers our customers tremendous value considering our regular Gold and Silver fares are already roughly 25 per cent less than our competition," said Ted Shetzen, Roots Air executive vice president and chief commercial officer.

The "Awesome" (Gold Class) and "Windfall" (Silver Class) return fares are available on the Toronto-Calgary and Vancouver-Toronto routes between March 26 and April 30, 2001. The Awesome and Windfall fares between Toronto and Calgary are $909 and $709, respectively. Comparable fares between Vancouver-Toronto are $999 and $799.
http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/010314/root...omo_fares.html
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:55 am

Just so everyone understands what this means -- Business class return fare for YVR-YYZ is under $1000.

Now that takes the sails out an MHD.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:09 am

If only they would decide to keep fares at those prices - that would really light a fire under Milton's ......
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:35 am

Hmmm ....

$1000 business class YYZ-YVR.

Q-miles on AA and NW.

100% mileage on domestic flights, even on discounted tickets. COS bonus on premium tickets.

Comp'ed MVP Gold status with Aeroplan Elite card.

I sure hope Roots survives!
Old Mar 23, 2001, 7:09 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Me too!

------

AC alienated an entire nation since they seized "virtual" control of Canada's skies. They raised fares, reduced service, humiliated travelers and tried to intimidate potential new competitors.

But Roots Air, the new full-service carrier, is due to launch scheduled flights Monday, on two of Canada's most critical routes, Toronto-Vancouver and Toronto Calgary. "It's been bully-boy city. AC has been trying to kill us," says Roots Air president Russell Payson. "But we can find a niche by appealing to price-conscious business travelers. We'll charge less and do a lot better for the frequent flyer."

Essentially a joint venture between Skyservice, a charter operator, & Roots, the hip Canadian clothing retailer, Roots Air flights will offer 3 classes of service (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) on AA320 jets. Prices are to be approximately 30% below AC's current unrestricted fares. Gold Class "premium business" service features seats with 45 inches of legroom, complimentary bar &a choice of 3 entrees.
Old Mar 23, 2001, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You cannot earn AAdvantage or WorldPerks Q-miles on RootsAir, just on Alaska's program which means you are starting from scratch with a FF program unless you're from the west and have had a membership in their program. You can cash in for awards on AA and NW, but you are not putting these miles into your current accounts with those carriers.

What these fares suggest is that the market has really softened and RootsAir cannot fill its planes, even at their previously advertised prices. The fares given are equivilent to AC's upgradeable V-fare, which only gets you into Silver. The Gold fare is $100 more each direction. It means RootsAir is teasing us by giving us the upgrade without using certificates. Is the RootsAir ticket fully flexible, or are you locked in? What is the advance purchase requirement? If you are locked in, the MHD may still be more flexible. Of course, hardly matters with only a couple of flights a day.
Old Mar 23, 2001, 7:41 am

We still haven't seen anything in writing about Roots Air's frequent flier program. I would have expected them to have information available by now. Their web page just directs people to their press release.
Old Mar 23, 2001, 10:07 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Is the RootsAir ticket fully flexible, or are you locked in? What is the advance purchase requirement?

It's a 7 days advance purchase ticket. From the wording of the rules, it seems like you could make changes:

2-REBOOKING PERMITTED PROVIDED/ A-THERE ARE NO CHANGES IN ORIGIN / DEST/ STOPOVER POINTS/ B-THE CHANGE MEETS THE RESERVATION/ TICKETING FIRST/ LAST TRAVEL DATE PROVISIONS OF THE ORIGINAL FARE/ C-APPLICABLE INVENTORY FOR THE FARE TICKETED MUST BE AVAILABLE D-SUCH TRANSACTION MUST BE MADE NOT LATER THAN THE DAY OF THE FLIGHT BEING CHANGED - -.

"It's been bully-boy city. AC has been trying to kill us," says Roots Air president Russell Payson. "But we can find a niche by appealing to price-conscious business travelers. We'll charge less and do a lot better for the frequent flyer."

Just how is AC killing them???
Old Mar 23, 2001, 2:11 pm

AC gave them hard time to be part of Aeroplan and forced them to join Alaska Air?

They made a big deal out of this on media before they annouced partnership with Alasaka Air .

[This message has been edited by MoreMiles (edited 03-23-2001).]
Old Mar 23, 2001, 3:21 pm
ALW

AC has most of their VFFers on quadruple points?

I'm not saying they can't launch a pre-emptive strike, just that they did.

andrew
Old Mar 23, 2001, 8:19 pm

I think most of you are missing the point.

For years now AC has given us all fancy titles, and told us how special we were to them.

However when the rubber met the road we were treated like red headed step children forced
to grovel for upgrades when J Class seats were going empty or filled by AC Employees!

I don't care about a Fancy Title.
I don't really care about accumulating miles on an Air Line that looks at me as a bother that is part of doing business.

I want respect, and if Roots is going to give it then I say I will give them the chance, wheather I gain a fancy title or not!

For the money I save flying Roots I can buy my own reward with the savings!
Old Mar 24, 2001, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Oh, come on Canadian...Grovel for upgrades?!?

I know you have a genuine complaint about AC, but get real. Upgrades are perks, not entitlements. Nobody forces you to grovel for anything. You can sit in the seat you paid for.

Now, with Roots, I can upgrade any cheap seat to Silver. With AC I can upgrade a somewhat more expensive seat to Executive class.

There's no comparison. Even a domestic configured 767 will have Roots Silver beat hands down. The only situation in which Roots would offer me something I don't have is an upgrade from Q/L/N fare. For 3 extra inches of legroom, is it worth spreading my $$$?

Nope.
Old Mar 24, 2001, 5:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . besides you can't do a Mexican Hat Dance on Roots yet
Old Mar 24, 2001, 6:45 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally posted by Canadian:
However when the rubber met the road we were treated like red headed step children forced to grovel for upgrades when J Class seats were going empty or filled by AC Employees!
Canadian, what are you talking about? "Grovel" for upgrades? I have never had any difficulty obtaining upgrades from AC when entitled to them. And on many occasions I've been upgraded when not entitled. Sorry, but I find your statement difficult to believe.
Old Mar 24, 2001, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
As someone who has had 100% upgrade success, even as last minute standby (even when I was Elite), I too find this lacking credibility. Being denied once or twice does not create a pattern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.