Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Best and Worst of AC's Alcohol Offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best and Worst of AC's Alcohol Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sksuh
Best? Guinness at YYC & YVR ... especially great with my breakfast

Worst? Everything else.
0_o
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blody Mary's are normally made with tomato juice, tabasco, salt and pepper to taste. I really quite like them, but often really struggle to find them in Canada due to the omnipresence of Clamato (I mean, really, who even thought to put clam juice in a drink???)

Best for me is a bailey's (or 3) over ice, that I sip as I watch a movie after dinner. It is the only time I drink the stuff, so quite enjoy it (and it is hard to screw it up I am a red wine and champagne girl at heart). I had a bearable red a few months back, but it wasn't one I have seen before or since and didn't register what it was.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by tracon
Clamato juice(Clam & tomato)
Bloody Mary, the american version, is made with V8.
and Worcestershire has anchovie paste in it...

I guess I don't fly enough to be so picky about in-flight drinks. 4-6 overseas flights (round trip) per year. I can certainly say that Delta has better offerings on transatlantic for wine.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadatosiberia

I guess I don't fly enough to be so picky about in-flight drinks. 4-6 overseas flights (round trip) per year. I can certainly say that Delta has better offerings on transatlantic for wine.
I find the wine offerings on LX to be the best transatlantic, and UA to be the very worst.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
BEST: The Drappier - it's far from great, it just outshines the rest of the AWFUL wine selection.
I also like the Perrier, and the bombay sapphire gin is good, however the Canada Dry tonic is horrendous and ruins the whole effect.

I usually find a just-about-acceptable red in longhaul J (especially if I've already numbed my palate with some champagne and some pre-flight lounge drinking).

WORST: almost all the white wines I've ever drunk on AC, in any class (notable exception being the glorious but sadly never repeated flight in J on SYD-YVR, when they had a delicious Marlborough sauvignon blanc as a 'secret wine' or whatever it's called). Plus ANY wine I've EVER drunk in a MLL - these are uniformly awful.

If AC is going to maintain the pretence that they have a premium product that people actually pay for (unlike the US airlines - and yes, UA does serve the very worst), they should really take a leaf out of NZ's book when it comes to wine:
1) Offer more choice. Just a choice of 2 reds and 2 whites plus champagne is pathetic for longhaul J in a large aircraft. NZ usually had double that amount of choice for a 3 hour shorthaul flight with 8 J seats! (Sadly, as of November last year, J is gone on those planes but their wine selection remains excellent and varied on their widebodies.)
2) Increase the per-bottle budget by at least 50%
3) Do some smart partnering with wine producers - do some promos to give good producers some exposure, turning the wine into a positive feature that actually exceeds your customers' expectations. If done smartly the wine producers will meet some of the cost of this, as they will build profile with an affluent target market.
4) Recognize that if you're going to make noises about featuring your own country's wines, you'd better feature good ones or you're actually going to damage people's perceptions of the region you're supposedly acting as an ambassador for. AC has pretty much turned me against Canadian wine in this way.
5) Have a dessert wine option. Many of us don't care for port.
6) Don't forget about the lounges! The plonk in there is almost undrinkable.
7) FIRE KEN CHASE!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, SPG Platinum
Last couple flights I was on in J (YVR-YYC) have had two California Chardonnays. Nice selection...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Favourites:
Drappier
Dow's Port
Coors Light

Least Favourite:
Molson Canadian Draft in MLLs
Its absolutely shocking that you, or anyone really, favors Coors Light over Canadian, especially Canadian Draft.

Then again, I think my girlfriend would appreciate Creemore on draft or in a bottle in the MLL or on-board.

Originally Posted by YWG-RO
Caesars are great. Having Bombay Sapphire gin is nice.

Wines are generally fair to poor.
1) Bombay is gin for vodka drinkers. That's why I love that United serves a real gin - Tanqueray.

2) As many good, reasonably priced Canadian wines as there are, you would think AC could rectify this.

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Hi 2MM_Guy, how is a Caesar not a veg. drink?

(I'm not much of a drinker so I do not know exactly what it contains...)
Clam and Worcestershire (though lots of vegetarians don't know that the latter is non-veg).

A Bloody Mary is traditionally made with straight tomato juice, not V8.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Have to agree with the majority here saying that the Drappier is the best of a mostly mediocre selection.

In Y, after one terrible decision made one fateful flight last year, I have resolved never to drink any of the wines again. I'll stick to cans of Heineken and mixed drinks (rum/coke, gin/tonic, rye/ginger).

In the MLL, it's Glenlivet for me.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: FT
as crappy as AC's wines are....nothing...i mean nothing...beats the SHH$TOMeter in terms of wine than the Two Oceans white at the BA lounge at YYZ in Dec. 2007....nothing....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Bombay Sapphire on board is a tasty treat. As for the wine, it may not be spectacular but if you drink enough it won't matter. We had an impromptu cocktail party on one of the old A340's YYZ-HKG a few years back. Several of us in the same industry stood in the mid galley for probably 2 hours swapping stories and drained a fair bit of the red (can't recall what it was for obvious reasons). The FA's would just walk by and shake their heads...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by canadatosiberia

This is good info as it too becomes non-vegetarian.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:26 pm

I used to bring mini bottles of Patron on board until an FA told me that was illegal...something about liquor license...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Yikes. There's two of you??!!
Shocking!! The silver bullet claims another beerey fatality.

Ah got it. BTW the clam juice would also render it un-kosher, if I recall.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Drappier really??? Boy are you deprived !!!!
I didn't say it was my favourite champagne, but it easily beats anything else they offer on board.

For those sparkling wine lovers amount us, I'd recommend checking out L'Acadie Vineyards in NS. Had their 2006 Brut over Christmas as part of a multi-day tasting (popped a new bottle at 9am every morning) and I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rehoult
I didn't say it was my favourite champagne, but it easily beats anything else they offer on board.

For those sparkling wine lovers amount us, I'd recommend checking out L'Acadie Vineyards in NS. Had their 2006 Brut over Christmas as part of a multi-day tasting (popped a new bottle at 9am every morning) and I was pleasantly surprised.
Need to bring a bottle or two to the next DO!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.