Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Best and Worst of AC's Alcohol Offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best and Worst of AC's Alcohol Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by omkhar
Other than that I really hate anything passed of as "scotch" in J.

Not even a cheap single malt - my world for a nice Macallan or a Lagavulin (or another Islay malt)
Agree ... I never drink the "scotch" they have. (On the other hand, the Irish pub we went to last night, near Shinagawa, had a nice selection of single malts ...)

The Caol Ila (nicely priced at the YYZ duty-free) that another poster suggested is all right with a few drops of water. Without that it has some ashtray-like characteristics, though!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC Prestige
Nice! I like Guinness as well!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomh009
What's the problem with Malbec? Are you complaining about AC's specific Malbec choices, or are you just looking for something lighter, like a Pinot Noir?

There are almost always two or more red wine choices anyway, so just leave the Malbecs for those of us who appreciate a wine with some backbone!
Some of us appreciate more balance.

This said, there was a time when I would go for the Malbec. Mainly because other choices were worse and the Malbec was not so bad.

Bottom line remains that domestic/NA wines have significantly improved, while overseas ones are now not very different and not such a great choice.

However it still seems to me that selection is somewhat strange. For instance, on my last flight, last week, they had an Australian shiraz, which was probably the best choice (Rosemount, not sure which one), and a California "blend." Actually a blend of Cotes du Rhone style with a good dose of Sirah too. Sirah being the real name of Shiraz. And BTW in French it is "de la sirah," feminine.

You would think they might try offering a choice that's a real choice instead?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult

I'm a big fan of the Drappier, had a bottle or more in each direction to HKG last fall. Waking up with 4 hours to go in the flight and a hangover is less than fun.
Drappier got high reviews a couple of years ago. It's not a bad champagne, and I do have a glass or two occasionally. I like it better than the Air NZ or the Swiss ones.

Still, it's not really my style as champagne goes. I like them more dry, which the drappier is not; it's more of the style that gets appreciated in France I suppose. In a moderate price range, admittedly still clearly more expensive than the Drappier, I go for a Pol Roger vintage. But no, I would not expect AC to go for something higher priced than Drappier.

I seem to recall a good champagne on EVA. But I cannot remember what it was.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

Best? Guinness at YYC & YVR ... especially great with my breakfast

Worst? Everything else.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Drappier really??? Boy are you deprived !!!!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:29 pm

Caesar.
Be nice if they could salt the rim and have celery on board.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Unfortunately, cannot enjoy this beverage as it is non-vegetarian. Probably the only non-veg item that I do have a craving for.
Hi 2MM_Guy, how is a Caesar not a veg. drink?

(I'm not much of a drinker so I do not know exactly what it contains...)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by sksuh
Best? Guinness at YYC & YVR ... especially great with my breakfast

Worst? Everything else.
Totally agree...
The Beers on AC flights and MML in YEG Stink!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Hi 2MM_Guy, how is a Caesar not a veg. drink?

(I'm not much of a drinker so I do not know exactly what it contains...)
Clamato juice(Clam & tomato)
Bloody Mary, the american version, is made with V8.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drappier is the only alcohol selection I enjoy from AC.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
It would be fantastic if the MLLs offered any sort of ale instead of the usual lager swill. I do enjoy the port though.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
Yikes. There's two of you??!!
It is getting scary!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by Tifosi
It would be fantastic if the MLLs offered any sort of ale instead of the usual lager swill. I do enjoy the port though.
Some used to. Last February they made a deal with Molson's that got rid of all the interesting local beer selection in favour of standardizing Canadian, Guinness (and sometimes Coors light). I miss the fin du monde at YUL the most. They tried to play this off as offering a "consistent" experience at all MMLs. Apparently "consistently bad" is preferably to "sometimes ok, often good".

I hate them more for this than for the ecerts thing some days. Especially during irops.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by tomh009
What's the problem with Malbec? Are you complaining about AC's specific Malbec choices, or are you just looking for something lighter, like a Pinot Noir?

There are almost always two or more red wine choices anyway, so just leave the Malbecs for those of us who appreciate a wine with some backbone!
Malbec is today what Merlot was 5 years ago. Far too much plonk and only a few nice wines. I am looking for a full bodied wine and too often the Cab, Shiraz and Zin offerings are god-awful and on many flights it was two wines, one Canadian and one a Malbec - neither good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.