Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50,000 Aeroplan miles with Amex Platinum Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50,000 Aeroplan miles with Amex Platinum Plus

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Great Job! A real Points-Smith, in the same lines that InsaneTravel likes to 'frequent'!

Can you note which of your cards are free versus annual fees? I mean, in a nutshell, what was your cost for getting these points?

JJJ
The only card I pay for is the Platinum Amex, and that's $399. Of course I also paid for the AeroPlat the year before, which also provided another 50K of miles at that time. I only hold one of the Plat cards at a time, so only pay one annual fee per year, which I would continue to hold regardless of the signup bonuses. The Farimont benefits alone save me more $$ than the annual card fee.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
The only card I pay for is the Platinum Amex, and that's $399. Of course I also paid for the AeroPlat the year before, which also provided another 50K of miles at that time. I only hold one of the Plat cards at a time, so only pay one annual fee per year, which I would continue to hold regardless of the signup bonuses. The Farimont benefits alone save me more $$ than the annual card fee.
So true. Between one night at the Plaza in NYC and the Savoy in London, that's 2 years of annual fees handled right there Not to mention OW Sapphire status.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:07 pm

someone on RFD claimed to receive a notice to raise annual fee to $699/year
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amex-...699-a-1181125/

we'll see how that turns out, definitely not renewing at $699 (unsure about $399 at the moment even)
Old May 25, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by jerryhung
someone on RFD claimed to receive a notice to raise annual fee to $699/year
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amex-...699-a-1181125/

we'll see how that turns out, definitely not renewing at $699 (unsure about $399 at the moment even)
Good news indeed.

Usually when there is a huge hike in annual fees, there should be an increase in benefits.

Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking...
Old May 25, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Good news indeed.

Usually when there is a huge hike in annual fees, there should be an increase in benefits.

Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking...
Maybe all the churners made their costs go up I'd pay more if it had better benefits, but if the accumulation rate does not change I'm not game.

[edit] hey wait a second ... I get this card free. bring the fee increase on!!!
Old May 25, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Maybe all the churners made their costs go up I'd pay more if it had better benefits, but if the accumulation rate does not change I'm not game.

[edit] hey wait a second ... I get this card free. bring the fee increase on!!!
Here is the thread about the extra benefits.

Yeah, bring on the increase! I got that for free too!
Old May 25, 2012, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Here is the thread about the extra benefits.

Yeah, bring on the increase! I got that for free too!
Bam, there's the thread indeed. Let's see if they grandfather us next year. My renewal was in early June anyway, I'm curious if they will get greedy the following year and un-grandfather me.

Benefits are not hot. More hotel elite programs. I was commenting to a friend of mine that the way you know you're truly nuts about collecting points is when you hold status in a bunch of hotels/airlines that you neither stay at nor fly. I do not stay at Carlson. I do not fly OneWorld. Yet I'll have platinum status in the former and sapphire in the latter? Top that up with some Platinum Accor status and the insanity is complete.

I wonder what the golf membership is like... considering how much I suck at it, maybe I can at least use it to improve.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:50 pm

Bam, there's the thread indeed. Let's see if they grandfather us next year. My renewal was in early June anyway, I'm curious if they will get greedy the following year and un-grandfather me.

Benefits are not hot. More hotel elite programs. I was commenting to a friend of mine that the way you know you're truly nuts about collecting points is when you hold status in a bunch of hotels/airlines that you neither stay at nor fly. I do not stay at Carlson. I do not fly OneWorld. Yet I'll have platinum status in the former and sapphire in the latter? Top that up with some Platinum Accor status and the insanity is complete.

I wonder what the golf membership is like... considering how much I suck at it, maybe I can at least use it to improve.
I'm not sure what platinum in Accor and Carlson really brings you...
Old May 25, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by sp4294
I can tell you that platinum in Accor gives you free upgrades. Everytime we hotel in Thailand we get upgraded at accor hotels. However we use the free Platinum accor staus deals that come up a couple of times a year. Check the accor forum for more details.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sp4294
Status in hotels I never stay at, of course - isn't that what being a frequent flyer addict is about?

Although if I'm ever I'm CGN, the Pullmann is a good choice...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Applied for the Amex Plat for 399$ by refering myself with the AE Plat. Got 15k AE points and 25k MR points after spending 500$ (it was supposed to be 30k I though, but they gave me just 10k at first purchase and 15k after 500$).
Now I will try to get back the 499$ for the AE Plat they charged me 2 month ago (or at least 10/12 of 499$).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Applied for the Amex Plat for 399$ by refering myself with the AE Plat. Got 15k AE points and 25k MR points after spending 500$ (it was supposed to be 30k I though, but they gave me just 10k at first purchase and 15k after 500$).
Now I will try to get back the 499$ for the AE Plat they charged me 2 month ago (or at least 10/12 of 499$).
cool - let know how goes. supposed to be impossible but as always probably depends on seniority and spend.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
cool - let know how goes. supposed to be impossible but as always probably depends on seniority and spend.
Actually, I don't want to keep the AE Plat (useless for me), so, as I don't use it since the renewal fees came, I hope they can refund them... Will give update as soon as I call them...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You'll certainly get a partial/full refund if you cancel one of several AMEX cards.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beep88
You'll certainly get a partial/full refund if you cancel one of several AMEX cards.
Not necessarily on the AE plat which gives the big 50K signup bonus, unless like Pseudo Nim said, your a BIG spender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.