Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

50,000 Aeroplan miles with Amex Platinum Plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50,000 Aeroplan miles with Amex Platinum Plus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Z-man
And then after she hits $1,000 cancel the card and get your pro-rated fee back and you didnt have to spend the $499 for the card.
Would this work? I thought with cards like this that give an up front bonus on the first purchase, the fee was not refundable.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:58 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Well I finally bit the bullet and signed up for this card. Not cheap and will cancel before the one year anniversary to avoid another fee. However, I just couldn't pass up this promo and combined with the Fairmont Plat Status in 5 stays it should make at least 1 year worth it Just hope I get the promised bonus points!!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: aerplan elite
Originally Posted by epost77
Well I finally bit the bullet and signed up for this card. Not cheap and will cancel before the one year anniversary to avoid another fee. However, I just couldn't pass up this promo and combined with the Fairmont Plat Status in 5 stays it should make at least 1 year worth it Just hope I get the promised bonus points!!
Please post a link for this offer. Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
Just received the following email:

Dear DeltaNYC,

Apply for the American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card and you can earn 50,000 Bonus Aeroplan® Miles1. In fact, 50,000 miles can get you a roundtrip flight reward for two to almost anywhere in North America‡! You will receive 25,000 bonus miles upon first use of an approved Card, plus earn an additional 25,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on your Card in the first three months of Card membership.

To receive this offer of 50,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles, you must apply for the Card using the Apply Now link within this email2, and enter the RSVP code 50100 when prompted.

Apply now
RSVP Code: 50100

Using your American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card for all of your everyday purchases can help you accumulate Aeroplan Miles even faster. With this Card, you can:

* Earn 1.25 miles for every $1 in purchases3 up to $25,000
* Earn 1.5 miles for every $1 over $25,000 annually4
* Enjoy a 2-for-1 flight reward annually5 when you redeem 15,000 miles using the complimentary Partner TicketTM benefit5
* Access Air Canada Priority Check-in6
* Access Air Canada Maple LeafTM* Lounges and Arrivals Lounges7
* Receive travel-related insurances, including Emergency Medical Insurance8† (out of province/country), and Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance9†

So, to get closer to realizing your perfect adventure, simply apply for the American Express AeroplanPlus Platinum Card. Before you know it, you can be on your way!

Use the Apply Now link provided above or visit americanexpress.ca/ap50100 to receive the offer. Please enter RSVP Code 50100.Terms and conditions apply.
Aeroplan
Just followed the info in the orignial post. Please note the terms to get all the bonus points!!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: AC*E50, DL*SM, JMB
It' a pity that this card is for new members only, not for actual members. If I switch from Gold Amex to Amex Plat, I will not have any of these 50 000 AP miles...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Most credit card companies just offers the big points to new members as an incentive.. If you want, cancel your card and wait awhile, and see if they are willing to let you sign up with the bonus miles.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Z-man
And then after she hits $1,000 cancel the card and get your pro-rated fee back and you didnt have to spend the $499 for the card.
Is this for real possible?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by world888traveler
It' a pity that this card is for new members only, not for actual members. If I switch from Gold Amex to Amex Plat, I will not have any of these 50 000 AP miles...
I followed the link from the OP, nothing indicates that a gold Amex card holder can't take benefit from the promotion.

Last edited by LearningToFly; Dec 1, 2010 at 11:16 am Reason: mistake
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Now that's a tempting promo.

To think I finally bit the bullet and signed up last week for a measly 25k...

Timing has never been my thing.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Interesting. I got a similar email but with a bonus of only 30K.

Very tempted to jump on this for 50K points. The only question is if I want a third AMEX in my wallet (already have the Gold and SPG ones).
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:11 pm

delete

Last edited by jasonkevin77; Aug 16, 2019 at 10:00 am Reason: delete
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:30 am

I had this card but the welcome bonus at the time was 25,000 miles .

It was good for me, because at the time I had no status at all. This card gave me similar treatment to being Elite (using the business class line, lounge access), plus the welcome points. Once you get status though it becomes less useful.

I switched to the Amex platinum at that time which has similar travel benefits, less fee, and a bunch of benefits that this card does not have.

So keep in mind that it is *not* an Amex platinum card by any means that Amex uses to judge it. If you call something like FHR they will deny you because you don't have the platinum "charge card".

This card gives on the one hand and takes away on the other. Really only useful I think for non-status or Prestige status people who find themselves suddenly traveling a lot and want the insurance and effective elite treatment.

Note that it's also bound to the same rules as Elite, you're not going to get into a lounge without a star alliance boarding pass, and it also will not function as *G to get into other lounges.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Can anyone confirm that if you cancel in the second month, the annual fee would be refunded (prorated of course)?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Can anyone confirm that if you cancel in the second month, the annual fee would be refunded (prorated of course)?
Shhhhhh, they are watching...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jasonkevin77
$399 fee for 50K aeroplan? Come on!

Better breakdown of how I got my 50k Aeroplan for free in the last month or so:

Amex Gold
Annual fee: Waived for first year.
Spent: $500 at grocery store (1:2) = 1000 AP
Bonus= 15,000 AP

= 16,000 AP

Amex Gold Small Business
Annual fee: Waives for first year
Spent: $3,000 (1:1) = 3000 AP
Bonus = 25,000 AP

= 28,000 AP

Transfer Membership Rewards to Aeroplan (1:1) Promotional Bonus of 20K+ (expires Dec 5th) = 5,000 AP

= 49, 000 AP TOTAL
Cost to me: $ 0

I have since used my Amex Gold on other things so I have accumulated another couple thousand Aeroplan points.

Think twice before dropping hundreds of dollars on an annual fee...
Maybe other folks are already doing the things you mention and want to get even more miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.