Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Elite worth $240? (And is the 35k figure a hard stop?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Elite worth $240? (And is the 35k figure a hard stop?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by AC888
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think NewToCanada and YEG USER might have a point in this case. The amount of traveling I'll do next year is a little difficult to predict at this point. But as I mentioned in another thread, even if I do travel, it will not always be on a Star carrier. So maybe the time and $ spent to get Elite is not worth it in this case.

However, NewToCanada does mention something interesting. *S get to skip long security lines? Is this for all airports? Do I look for a special line? I was not aware of this benefit at all!
My friend at SEA is OZ*S and he got to use the priority security line at SEA. I think *S also gets to use the UA premium security lines at SFO (or maybe it's only for UA 2P?)

I'm not sure if any of the major Canadian airports extend priority security to *S. For example, the Pearson Priority line only extend priority security to E/SE (and amex and etc etc etc ... looks like getting a Plat Amex nowadays mean more than being silver LOLOLOLOL)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 5:41 pm

Canadian airports only offer to AMEX and Air Canada Elite/Super Elites....heard nothing yet about *G...... I priority security using AC*G in SEA but was referred back to the regular lines in SFO and EWR

i believe its because the color of the BP they look for but i may be wrong
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
I priority security using AC*G in SEA but was referred back to the regular lines in SFO and EWR
That shouldn't happen o_o the UA "premier" security checkpoint at SFO (near the border between the UA domestic and international terminals) allows all *G. Did you go to another security checkpoint?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:26 pm

that was a while back.... also back then AC.com did mention the Priority Security Clearance Lines in the US were for Exec Class only
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
I believe that you should go for it!

I have considered the opinions of others, but for some reason if you travel more next year, just the access to MLL is enough for the dollar value involved, not to mention additional "soft" amenities.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Elite on AC is a very good program one of the better Gold programs for NA fliers.

However the reality its going to upgrade one flight a year for you with SSWU. Or if you company pays for "sucker" fares or Latitude with AC, lots of flights can be upgraded with the SWU's
IF you can do ONE mileage run and get the miles you need go for it! Find another mileage run.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
Elite on AC is a very good program one of the better Gold programs for NA fliers.

However the reality its going to upgrade one flight a year for you with SSWU. Or if you company pays for "sucker" fares or Latitude with AC, lots of flights can be upgraded with the SWU's
IF you can do ONE mileage run and get the miles you need go for it! Find another mileage run.
rare complement why fly
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:59 pm

you have to be able to find a very low dollar run out of EWR, JFK or even LGA to get 700 miles extra. I have *E for the last few years and do appreciate a few perks and have bonused an extra sswu from ZRH when the back was full and exec was empty. Did the same a few years back YYZ HNL YYZ and got an opup on the HNL YYZ due to oversold in Y. One rung higher on the ladder in status can sway an opup when in P you would be the bottom of the list.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: AS-MVP-G75, AC-25K, UA-1P, DL, AA, BA, PR
AC E also offers lounge access

Originally Posted by AC888
Thanks for the input, everyone. I think NewToCanada and YEG USER might have a point in this case. The amount of traveling I'll do next year is a little difficult to predict at this point. But as I mentioned in another thread, even if I do travel, it will not always be on a Star carrier. So maybe the time and $ spent to get Elite is not worth it in this case.

However, NewToCanada does mention something interesting. *S get to skip long security lines? Is this for all airports? Do I look for a special line? I was not aware of this benefit at all!
AC E doesn't offer amazing bonus mileage, but it does get you *G benefits worldwide and it does offer you lounge access on N American flights, too. None of the USA * partners do that, but AC does. It's your choice, of course. But if you're close, I'd go for the 35k.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
rare complement why fly
I need to put that on my signature. AC really has one of the best Gold programs, its SE's sucks.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
why fly: Did you have a conversion experience ?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:18 am

perk i forget about sometimes is the showers at lounges. HNL YVR YYZ arrived at 5:15 am YVR cleared customs had a realllly hot shower changed clothes and felt better.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
geez............ for crying out loud.... dont expect AC to give u status until u reach 35,000 miles... .they are the lowest to obtain already in the *A program....
Not true. *G is obtainable for 20,000 now, while *S is obtainable at 4,000.

Link.

The amount of miles credited are just not as high with a lot of low fares. (I.e. Lots of low fares on US airlines yield no miles at all.) Keep this in mind before giving it a try.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Triley
Not true. *G is obtainable for 20,000 now, while *S is obtainable at 4,000.

Link.

The amount of miles credited are just not as high with a lot of low fares. (I.e. Lots of low fares on US airlines yield no miles at all.) Keep this in mind before giving it a try.
i thought they were going to raise it if they join Miles & More?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by NewToCanada
Presumably you're already Prestige, which means you already get early boarding and get to skip long security lines as a *S. You already get to skip the long hold times when you call reservations. You already get priority standby. So what will you miss if you stay at that level and don't get Elite? Two SSWU (the other upgrades are useless if you fly low classes; and if you don't you can use the upgrades you already get as a Prestige). Special baggage tags which are more or less hit and miss. I don't even bother asking for them when the agents forget. And then the lounges, which personally I value a lot.
Prestige gets priority boarding and security? I thought that was just E/SE? I may be confusing this with *S though (not sure what *S is! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.