Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Elite worth $240? (And is the 35k figure a hard stop?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Elite worth $240? (And is the 35k figure a hard stop?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by helraiser
Prestige gets priority boarding and security? I thought that was just E/SE? I may be confusing this with *S though (not sure what *S is! )
*S = Star Alliance Silver..... and not all *S gets priority security and boarding.... Some do but most dont
Old Nov 7, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
For the OP, I think the E status really depends on how much benefit you will get in the upcoming year. If its only one long-distance flight a year, which you can use an SSWU, it may be worth it. If its just to get status and use the lounge on 3 or 4 trips domestically, its not so appealing.

As for MRs, the JFK-RNO is not bad, but if you are considering doing that, I would err on the side of caution and suggest also looking getting the other 1000 miles to make sure you get status. Aeroplan may have moved people up in the past, but it is no guarantee of future bumps. It may reflect how many people reach it of their own accord, and as their profits increase, they may be less inclined to be giving it away (similar to UA not offering DEQMs).
Old Nov 7, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: FT
perks at E are not enough IMO to pay out of pocket to obtain.

MLL access and few free drinks are really not worth it. the food in both YVR and YYZ are terrible IMO and since those are really the only two airports i find myself in, i would not bother with E...in fact, i could have been well above E with my trip to BLR and decided to go with OW...and with BA giving 100% bonus with silver, my $$ will be going towards silver status with them.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i thought they were going to raise it if they join Miles & More?
Even then, it's 40k/2yr = 20k/yr with OZ (and OZ gives lifetime *G for 1MM any *A miles ... so tempted to change FF programs)
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by maradori
Even then, it's 40k/2yr = 20k/yr with OZ (and OZ gives lifetime *G for 1MM any *A miles ... so tempted to change FF programs)
Wow that is a great deal...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
and i love their family program, where u get to share ur mileage with family members
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:47 pm

After all these years I am still surprised that people think 35,000 or 100,000 are just a guideline--it isn't. If AC gives *G at 34,999 consider that an exception and a favor--not an entitlement. So if one is after the status one should get it and not wait to test the limits.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by ac777
After all these years I am still surprised that people think 35,000 or 100,000 are just a guideline--it isn't. If AC gives *G at 34,999 consider that an exception and a favor--not an entitlement. So if one is after the status one should get it and not wait to test the limits.
?? come on the 35k is a guideline. Many years AC has moved SE down to accept more SE members. I suspect they bell curve the # in bad years to make sure they have enough SE's

however I am unaware if they do the same with Elites.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by why fly
Many years AC has moved SE down to accept more SE members.
An example of this was 2001/2002 after 9/11. IIRC, SE was 85K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.