Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ to Seoul: AC vs. Singapore--what do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ to Seoul: AC vs. Singapore--what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by KKT
Totally agreed. Entering US from YVR was a nightmare experience for me. Never again!
Have you been through recently? Because things have changed significantly, both for arriving from US connecting to Int'l, and vice versa. They made significant modifications to deal with the Olympics, and these changes have had a beneficial impact.

Now, upon arrival into YVR from an International Flight connecting to the US, they have a special walkway and special security zone set up, and then they usual dedicated (or two depending on the time of day) Immigration Officers for International connecting passengers.

On my last trip from SYD-YVR-SFO, I was through security and immigration in less than 5 minutes from deplaning. I was shocked at how efficient the process was, and they had a dedicated volunteer at the walkway guiding people and making sure they had their blue US Customs form and respective I-94 paper work (if necessary) filled out.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Virgin, Starwood, RBC Awards, Air Miles, OneWorld
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your responses. Having just flown F-class on Lufthansa from FRA to YYZ via Washington Dulles, and practically crying in the process (upon landing at Dulles) you've reminded me of probably the greatest pro to flying YYZ to Seoul on AC. So, with your help, decision made. One item that's curious though: when I look on the AC booking page, they tout the top flight from YYZ to Seoul as being direct, but upon a read of the fine print, it, too, stops in Vancouver. You don't necessarily change 763s nor disembark, but you certainly do stop. I wonder why they post it as if it's a direct flight?

Cheers,
PS
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I think you're confusing "direct" with "non-stop".

Direct usually means same plane, same flight #. Doesn't mean non-stop which is self-explanatory.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

You're absolutely correct--I've previously thought of the two as being synonymous.

Cheers for the clarification!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
If you book and fly the direct YYZ-ICN, your miles will post as such - not YYZ-YVR-ICN...that may or may not make a difference to you.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:06 pm

If you can, book YYZ-YVR and YVR-ICN as separate flights, which will mean more miles. I'm not sure if you can still book this as AC 063 "connecting" to AC 063, but if so, that gives you the lie-flat on the domestic portion as well.

To complicate things, you might also think about connecting in NRT both or either ways... I find that, on the return, ICN-NRT-YYZ is a much easier trip than ICN-YVR-YYZ, as that last domestic segment really seems to take a long time, as opposed to doing the hop over to NRT first and then getting on one long flight home...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Although this has been brought up in several threads, I am still confused by the issue:

Can Canadian citizens coming from overseas to an American airport, take the custom and immigration line that American citizens and green card holders take, or must they take the line that non-American residents take?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:00 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Although this has been brought up in several threads, I am still confused by the issue:

Can Canadian citizens coming from overseas to an American airport, take the custom and immigration line that American citizens and green card holders take, or must they take the line that non-American residents take?
Why is this so confusing? Unless the Canadian citizen is also a green card holder, they would have to take the non-citizen line. Canadians do not receive any special treatment.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
Why is this so confusing? Unless the Canadian citizen is also a green card holder, they would have to take the non-citizen line. Canadians do not receive any special treatment.
While this may be true, it's quite common for Canadian Citizens to be sent to the American Citizen line up.

I always ask in the customs hall just to make sure...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

take either line. trust me its FINE!
I take the shortest line.. dont worry about it Canadians dont need to take pictures and all that crap so go for it.. I have done it 50 times noboday has ever said anything.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
next to the OP.

For sure take one flight on SQ and the other on AC^ SQ is the said to be he best in the world after this you can decide.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

So here's another wrinkle and a question:

1) The wrinkle: for some reason I'd originally thought that the Amex 20% off executive first code would apply beyond N. American flights, but it doesn't, so as of yesterday, SQ got a bit more attractive looking. However, when I checked the SQ itinerary (YYZ to SFO to ICN) I noticed that SQ uses their 777s to fly to ICN, which means that they are the old cabin configurations, i.e., none of the lovely, new biz class pods. (The latter of which a pal of mine who's taken SQ noted are far superior to the AC pods.)

2) The question: my Asia traveling friend also suggested the ICN-NRT-YYZ route, and I had a look on the AC website to book it, but couldn't bring up such an itinerary. There was no use trying to book it via the multi-city option as the ICN-NRT connection didn't register as being a valid one. Any idea how to book this aside from telephoning AC directly?

Cheers,
PS

Originally Posted by why fly
next to the OP.

For sure take one flight on SQ and the other on AC^ SQ is the said to be he best in the world after this you can decide.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
You should double check.

First, SQ biz class does not have Pods in the AC sense. The new business class has absolutely huge J class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. They lie completely flat.

Now to the aircraft. I believe all of the SQ 777-300's are converted to the new business class. The 777-200 ones have not but I believe are in the process of being converted.

I have to agree with WF - you have to try SQ business at least once (if only for the soft service elements). The food is also excellent (I'm still imaging the chicken satay appetizers......^).
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by propensityscore
Hi there,

So here's another wrinkle and a question:

1) The wrinkle: for some reason I'd originally thought that the Amex 20% off executive first code would apply beyond N. American flights, but it doesn't, so as of yesterday, SQ got a bit more attractive looking. However, when I checked the SQ itinerary (YYZ to SFO to ICN) I noticed that SQ uses their 777s to fly to ICN, which means that they are the old cabin configurations, i.e., none of the lovely, new biz class pods. (The latter of which a pal of mine who's taken SQ noted are far superior to the AC pods.)

2) The question: my Asia traveling friend also suggested the ICN-NRT-YYZ route, and I had a look on the AC website to book it, but couldn't bring up such an itinerary. There was no use trying to book it via the multi-city option as the ICN-NRT connection didn't register as being a valid one. Any idea how to book this aside from telephoning AC directly?

Cheers,
PS
1) SQ 777 flying long haul all have new cabin config. The old 772 are only for regional flights. So no worries.
2) Just call AC. ICN-NRT-YYZ is the same price as ICN-YVR-YYZ. AC.com is useless in this regard.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
My point of confusion relates to the "official" (on the record) regulation which you mention - that Canadian citizens have to go to the non-citizen line vs what often (but not always) happens in practice.

Many Canadians (as mentioned in the posts, responding to your post) have been allowed to go through the US citizen/resident line. However, I have seen other posts (in this forum, and other fora of FT) whereby Canadians standing in the US citizen line were asked to go to the non-citizen line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.