Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MLL Beer Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Haven't passed through the domestic departures area in YWG in a couple of months, but last time I was in the MLL I was extremely dissapointed to see that the only draught beer on tap was Guiness... No more Fort Garry Pale Ale, which is decent but not great, but after rushing through traffic, and racing through check-in and security it sure was refreshing.

I am a big Guinness fan, and like my beer to have some teeth, but I think more people travelling through the MLL would dislike Guinness than like it, and was surprised of the change.

I keep meaning to write AC but seem to have more important things to deal with lately...

As an aside, I really like the Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat that UA had on board this past winter / spring. Supporting a small local brewery is a great idea... for an airline that wants us as customers to support the Canadian Airline industry isn't it?

I mean really... AC keeps serving a crappy Canadian wine like Jackson-Triggs or other horrible Vincor products, and I can't beleive they are doing that because someone thinks it is good wine?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by chinoz
I totally agree about crappy liquor, but I can drink Guinness all day!
...i have lots of friends that love the stuff also...just not my cup of tea...

Originally Posted by Golden Toque

I mean really... AC keeps serving a crappy Canadian wine like Jackson-Triggs or other horrible Vincor products, and I can't beleive they are doing that because someone thinks it is good wine?
...as a wine drinker, i find this perhaps a huge gigantic but that is OT...but i think it probably is that some people like that plonk....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by chinoz
I totally agree about crappy liquor, but I can drink Guinness all day!

While I like a couple of Guiness it's not something I'd drink all day. Despite it's relatively low alcohol content it's full of stuff that can leave you with an absolutely brutal hangover if you overindulge. I know this from a few such experiences.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
I am quite pleased with the beer selection in the MLL as I prefer Molson Canadian. It's nice to know I can get a pint of my favourite beverage in most lounges.

It's actually quite funny to hear people surprised by the fact that beer/spirit companies pay for their brands to be offered in different establishments, why would the MLL be any different. Kudos to AC for taking advantage of some extra income.

Anyway, I don't have to drink a special/foreign beer to make me feel special.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by stinger
Anyway, I don't have to drink a special/foreign beer to make me feel special.
Neither do I, though I would like some drinkable beer, rather than something suitable for rinsing out the glass... To each their own, really.

Personally, I would like to see a compromise. Given that most lounges have two taps, make one a nationally recognized brand, and the other a local specialty of some sort. One of the things I really do enjoy about travelling is sampling the local brew as I travel the world.

Shiner Bock in Texas
Granville Island IPA in Vancouver
Yuengling on the eastern seaboard
Greene King in Oxford

etc....
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC SE
I am saddened to report that there is no beer avaialble in YVR International Departures, other than Molson Canadian.

I think it is time to start a letter writing campaign to Mr. Rovinescu. Perhaps there is some compromise that could be reached. Canadian on tap, local selection in cans/bottles?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
Originally Posted by drwilliams
Unibroue on tap? Makes me want to fly through Montreal!
Ha yeah, I would route ALL travel (even YVR-YYC) through YUL if they still had Unibroue on tap.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
You have to pay to play at places like this.
Or just have a lot of customer demand. Exclusive distribution agreements can't overcome mediocre quality

Hopefully AC is reading this and taking notes. I enjoyed going to the different MLL's and sampling the local beer (Grasshopper in YYC was great ^)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
loss of local brew

I too am bummed about the loss of local beers (or variety for that matter) in the MLLs. I am sitting in LAX now and they have a few options ... it is nice to try something of variety when travelling. Or perhaps even just a true Canadian big brew like Sleeman's or Keith's?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Go next-door to the better lounge
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Honestly, I've come to the point where I will often go to paid bars in airports rather than lounges just to get a decent local brew. Perfect example is PHL: there's a great bar in F that serves many, many local beers on tap (they had not one, but THREE local IPAs while I was there last), whereas the US Airways club has... coors light, bud light, heineken, corona.

F that. If I'm going to pay for a beer, I'm going to pay for a GOOD beer!

I know the MLL is free, but some things are just worth paying for. Good beer on tap is one of them.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by phedre
I know the MLL is free, but some things are just worth paying for. Good beer on tap is one of them.
I agree completely. However, beer selection in many other lounges is often very good - I've had SNPA, Lagunitas and Dogfish Head in various places. I don't mind having to pay if I'm going to get a decent beer.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Good idea from the blue team: local beer not molson toxic waste

Mr. Robert Palmer reports

GRASSHOPPERS ON A PLANE

WestJet Airlines Ltd. and Big Rock Brewery are teaming up to make Big Rock's best-selling Grasshopper wheat ale available for purchase on board all flights with bar service effective Aug. 1, 2010.

"One of the reasons we're so proud of our buy-on-board program is that we support local businesses across Canada by sourcing their products for our inflight menu," said Bob Cummings, WestJet's Executive Vice-President, Marketing and Sales. "We offer sandwiches and wraps produced by nearly a dozen popular local restaurants in Canadian cities, and we're very excited to add our first locally brewed beer from Calgary's award-winning Big Rock Brewery to the menu."

Grasshopper, which won a gold medal at the 2009 Canadian Brewing Awards, is a Kristall Weizen German-style wheat ale that is delicately hopped and delivers a bright finish. One of Big Rock's most popular beers, Grasshöpper will be sold in cans on all WestJet flights with bar service (over two hours) beginning August 1.

"This is a great made-in-Calgary connection," said Big Rock President Bill McKenzie. "Having the opportunity to team up with a company like WestJet is a natural relationship for us, and being able to bring our brand to the skies is an exciting venture."

� 2010 Canjex Publishing Ltd.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Good idea from the blue team: local beer not molson toxic waste
Go fly WJ then. Sheesh, let me know how the beer tastes in the WJ lounge.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by stinger
Go fly WJ then. Sheesh, let me know how the beer tastes in the WJ lounge.
that would be more of a zinger if the MLL domestic lounge at YYZ was such a prize....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.