Wiki Posts
Search

MLL Beer Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE
MLL Beer Selection

Hadn't gone for a beer in a while at an MLL and just noticed no more good beer selection. What gives? Today at YEG there was Coors Lite and Canadian on tap. At YVR Int'l, Canadian on tap and Coors Lite in the fridge. The old man reports similar at YUL. What gives? I always loved having either the local brew on tap (Granville Island for example in YVR), or pulling my own Guinness, or in a pinch a Boddingtons from the can.

Pretty disappointed about this one. They still have a large selection of spirits, what gives on the beer. If they are going to have semi-premium spirits (ie Tanquery vs Gordon's), at least carry the semi-premium beers (Sleeman etc). Needless to say, it is disappointing and has lowered the value of the MLL as it was one of the highlights for me.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:49 am

I was upset when they took the Unibroue products out of YUL, but that was a while ago...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
YYS still has Harp and Guiness on tap but I agreee that it has been disappointing to watch the good "local" suds disappear.

I think it's been well over a year since we've been able to get cans of Boddington's or Kilkennyin the lounges.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:38 am

YUL still has Guinness and something else (Coors Light?) on tap. YVR also has Guinness on tap.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
MLL gets paid by Molson to be exclusive in lounges. Probably a few thousand dollars per year per lounge. Not a lot, but not chump change either.

Smaller breweries do not have the cash to buy access like the big companies do, so they get frozen out of some places.

I think Molson bought Granville in the past year. If they want to take it national (hopefully), it may soon be in a lounge near you.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Also, Guinness, Harp, Kilkenny, Smithwicks are all Diageo products. Where there seems to be many Diageo spirits there (Tanqueray, etc), they probably also have a deal with MLL.

You have to pay to play at places like this.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AC 25K
The Big Rock beers (Trad, Grasshopper) are missed.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by drwilliams
Also, Guinness, Harp, Kilkenny, Smithwicks are all Diageo products. Where there seems to be many Diageo spirits there (Tanqueray, etc), they probably also have a deal with MLL.

You have to pay to play at places like this.
I'm glad they still have my favourite - Coors Light ....
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Seems like AC wins both ways in this situation. The chemical beer makers pay them to stock their product, and costs fall as discerning drinkers consume less. I suspect the same thinking explains the on-board wine selection.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Looks like Molson/Coors has made a sole supplier deal much to our detriment. As a pure beer advocate it may be time for a new campaign ala Errorplan! At least barrage Ben Smith and Calin with emails of complaint. Should have seen this coming when Sleemans vanished from inflight galleys.

This is one area AC has still not "gotten it". It's catering should reflect unique Canadian products not mass blandness. Always liked flying Alaska/Horizon because they give out unique regional snack items and microbrews and local wines. Even NW offered regional snack offerings as a menu keynote. It's also why Porter has made inroads.

Then again I suppose the vast majority of those on flights would rather have a Molson or Coors and really would not appreciate quality products if offered to them!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
I rarely drink but I know that Molson and Coors (Boors?) are horrid concoctions made mostly of corn syrup. I guess now that the MLLs are opened up to the paying masses, only the cheapest swill will suffice...

By way of comparison what types of beer are stocked across the hall at the YYZ AMEX lounge?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Looks like Molson/Coors has made a sole supplier deal much to our detriment.
Then the least they could do is offer Creamore in Ontario!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YUL2YEG
The Big Rock beers (Trad, Grasshopper) are missed.
+1
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Last evening at the YYZ dom MLL there was Guiness and Harp on offer. The two other taps may have been Canadian and Coors, but I didn't take much notice as I pulled a pint of Harp.
--
13F
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
I wrote them back in February when this started, response was that "to ensure a consistent product" they've discontinued the regional beer selections.

A dumb idea if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.