Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by nnanlno
Also, should one know anything about the new airport at IST (not much info around yet) regarding doing a 14 hours day trip to "downtown" during the day?

Thanks in advance for any precious inputs!
Just saw your post, good timing as I just got back from a trip and also had a 14 hour layover in Istanbul.

New airport is huge. And beautiful.
New TK lounge is nice, but not worth spending more than 2-3 hours.

Definitely enough time to go in and see the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazaar for sure. Maybe some other things if you're efficient.
There's tons of of buses from the new IST downtown which take you right down to Sultanahmet (basically right @ the Blue Mosque).
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Looks like YVR-SGN is still further than YVR-DXB, and will be treated as your POT.
ALRIGHT YVR - HAN then!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:18 am

Sorry but my question is not about the EVA strike which I hope gets resolved quickly. I'm very new at using points and miles so any advice will be much appreciated. Just used up a lifetimes wort of accumulated Aeroplan to book a mini RTW business class trip for wife and myself from Toronto to India and back in March 2020. Got confirmed bookings all sectors except EVA TPE-ORD on BR 56 on 3rd April 202 is Economy. I am monitoring Aeroplan for Business Class availability on EVA but somehow they have not released any BC seats for that period on any of their flights. Any suggestions on how I can monitor and upgrade this one sector when EVA BC seats are available? Even one seat upgrade will be appreciated since it s 15 hour flight and I have already paid the points for BC all the way.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by G Rodricks
Sorry but my question is not about the EVA strike which I hope gets resolved quickly. I'm very new at using points and miles so any advice will be much appreciated. Just used up a lifetimes wort of accumulated Aeroplan to book a mini RTW business class trip for wife and myself from Toronto to India and back in March 2020. Got confirmed bookings all sectors except EVA TPE-ORD on BR 56 on 3rd April 202 is Economy. I am monitoring Aeroplan for Business Class availability on EVA but somehow they have not released any BC seats for that period on any of their flights. Any suggestions on how I can monitor and upgrade this one sector when EVA BC seats are available? Even one seat upgrade will be appreciated since it s 15 hour flight and I have already paid the points for BC all the way.
You can subscribe to Experflyer Alerts for award availability. Otherwise you need to repeatedly check.

www.expertflyer.com
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
This will be a one way ticket:
AMM>CAI (22 hours in CAI, intending day tour Giza)
CAI>IST (14 hours in IST, intending hit off Blue Mosque)
IST>ZRH (18 hours in ZRH, intending to check out Lucerne)
ZRH>EWR (12 hours in NYC)
EWR>YYZ (on AC, unfortunately)
Thanks you all for the input so far. What about the following sequence? Would it be stretching it too thin?

AMM>CAI (22h in CAI)
CAI>IST (12h in IST)
IST>OTP (20h in OTP)
OTP>BUD (LO, 19h in BUD)
BUD>KRK (23h in KRK)
KRK>ZRH (6h in ZRH)
ZRH>EWR (<24h in NYC)
EWR>YYZ

GCMapper shows 6746mi, direct AMM-YYZ is 5846 mi. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Last edited by nnanlno; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks you all for the input so far. What about the following sequence? Would it be stretching it too thin?

AMM>CAI (22h in CAI)
CAI>IST (12h in IST)
IST>OTP (20h in OTP)
OTP>BUD (LO, 19h in BUD)
BUD>KRK (23h in KRK)
KRK>ZRH (6h in ZRH)
ZRH>EWR (<24h in NYC)
EWR>YYZ

GCMapper shows 6746mi, direct AMM-YYZ is 5846 mi. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
That routing would also be valid. However, the more complex th routing is, the higher the odds of something going wrong and the more challenging it is to find an agent to who's willing to book it (even if the routing is perfectly valid).
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That routing would also be valid. However, the more complex th routing is, the higher the odds of something going wrong and the more challenging it is to find an agent to who's willing to book it (even if the routing is perfectly valid).
Many thanks for the confirmation.

I thought this would be considered relatively not too complex, as it does not even have any stopover or open jaw to count, and it isn't those 14 segments actual mini-RTW that i see on here...

I take it just be very nice and patient with the agent, and if the agent is unable, then just hang up and try again?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Many thanks for the confirmation.

I thought this would be considered relatively not too complex, as it does not even have any stopover or open jaw to count, and it isn't those 14 segments actual mini-RTW that i see on here...

I take it just be very nice and patient with the agent, and if the agent is unable, then just hang up and try again?
Yes, pretty much. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

And it all depends. Some agents will flat out refuse to piece together an itinerary segment by segment, insisting that they can only book whatever option the AE website/system shows when entering the origin and destination. Most agents are more cooperative if you are friendly, but seven (overnight) connections vs. 1-2 connections is still rather "outside the box".
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Yes, pretty much. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

And it all depends. Some agents will flat out refuse to piece together an itinerary segment by segment, insisting that they can only book whatever option the AE website/system shows when entering the origin and destination. Most agents are more cooperative if you are friendly, but seven (overnight) connections vs. 1-2 connections is still rather "outside the box".
Come now, seven is not even half the allowed number of segments (16)!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I recently had an agent refuse to manually piece together SIN-BKK-HKG-YVR-SFO. It was the only way to get home, in J, that day.

I still had a stopover left, so I said I wanted to go to YVR instead.

And stop for 3 hours.

Then fly to SFO.

I got what I wanted
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
more challenging it is to find an agent to who's willing to book it (even if the routing is perfectly valid).
Good thing is that agents are still willing to input the segments manually, and it prices out for them automatically.
If that happens, they wont question it.

Aeroplan has some of the best routing rules in the ff world, unlike UA and DL where agents can only book what the computer gives them.
It will be a sad day when Aeroplan can only book what the website spits out.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:52 am

What's the lowest total $ fees people have achieved with a mini rtw (assuming no AC metal)?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:01 pm

I found the following individual legs available in economy for next year and only $125pp in fees (combining single leg fees) and 75K miles pp (I think, since Asia 1 is destination). Is there anything that looks off before I call to book? Thanks!

EWR-NRT (UA) stop
NRT-ICN (Ethiopian) destination
ICN-CTS (Asiana) stop
CTS-TPE (EVA) stop
TPE-JFK (EVA) final destination

Both directions are less than 1.6x of direct miles between origin/destination. Anything else I need to think about?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I found the following individual legs available in economy for next year and only $125pp in fees (combining single leg fees) and 75K miles pp (I think, since Asia 1 is destination). Is there anything that looks off before I call to book? Thanks!

EWR-NRT (UA) stop
ICN-CTS (Asiana) stop
CTS-TPE (EVA) stop

Both directions are less than 1.6x of direct miles between origin/destination. Anything else I need to think about?
AP's maximum permitted mileage isn't quite that easy (see the other thread on this on how to calculate it), so I'd just double-check that it's below what's allowed.

Also, the furthest point from EWR/JFK in your itinerary is TPE, so that will be your destination. So you need to check if your trip both ways is below what's allowed for EWR-TPE, meaning both:

TPE-JFK (obv will be)
and
EWR-NRT-ICN-CTS-TPE

need to be below permitted mileage.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000

EWR-NRT (UA) stop
ICN-CTS (Asiana) stop
CTS-TPE (EVA) stop

You have 1 too many stops. Also TPE is the destination, as that is the furthest stopover from EWR.

Not sure the relevance of 1.6x of direct miles. MPM is the only thing that matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.