Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by bid.shader
Hi all - have never tried to book a type of mini-rtw reward before. I've tried to comprehend the rules, and this is what I came up with - wondering if anyone knows/can guess whether this will be a permitted routing?

YSJ - NRT via YYZ, ORD [1st stopover]
NRT - BKK [destination]
BKK - ICN [2nd stopover]
ICN - YSJ via LAX, YYZ

Looking at 1-way awards on the aeroplan site suggests availability on my preferred dates for all routes (just doing, say, a 1-way from YSJ - NRT, then another 1-way for KIX - BKK, for example) in the booking classes I want (currently trying to experience a mix of first and business class on ANA (777-300), Thai (747-400) and Asiana (380).

Appreciate any help - thanks!
Should be fine, as that routing is about 21,422 miles (via greatcirclemapper). If they give you trouble, ask for the maximum permitted mileage for YSJ-BKK, and organize an itinerary within that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Should be fine, as that routing is about 21,422 miles (via greatcirclemapper). If they give you trouble, ask for the maximum permitted mileage for YSJ-BKK, and organize an itinerary within that.
Great, thanks - much appreciated.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Hello, I'm new to the Mini RTW game and am attempting to book my first. Sorry if I've missed some obvious points here but I've spent hours reading the various wiki's and consulting the resources they point to. I'm still not sure I understand all of the "rules" or pseudo rules that apply so at this point I'll ask for your help please.

I've determined seating is available on:

YWG-YYZ
YYZ-AMS
AMS-IST (overnight stay less than 24hr)
IST-SIN
SIN-BKK (stop - 3 DAYS)
BKK-USM (stop - 5 DAYS)
USM-BKK
BKK-SIN
SIN-IST
IST-ATH (Stop 5 DAYS)
ATH-FRA
FRA-LHR
LHR-YYZ
YYZ-YWG

I gather the whole trip must not exceed the MPM between my origin and destination - I've interpreted that to mean twice the MPM indicated by Expertflyer as it's a round trip so...

13,607X2 = 27214

Unless I've missed something completely, I "should" be ok for MPM as the accumulated mileage for this trip (as per EF) is less than the round trip MPM for YWG/USM . Not quite sure if I'm breaking any other rules?

YWG AC YTO AC ZRH AC IST AC SIN AC BKK AC USM AC
BKK AC SIN AC IST AC ATH AC FRA AC LON AC YTO AC
YWG /21MAR18
*** - CONTAINS RETRANSITTED INTERMEDIATE POINT

CTY GI TPM CUM MPM EMS DED LAST NEXT 25M

YWG 1
1. YTO 1 - 933 933
2. ZRH 2 AT 4050 4983 5827 0M 0 0 844 7283
3. IST 2 AT 1107 6090 7099 0M 0 0 1009 8873
4. SIN 3 AT 5374 11464 13759 0M 0 0 2295 17198
5. BKK 3 AT 889 12353 12873 0M 0 0 520 16091
6. USM 3 AT 297 12650 13410 0M 0 0 760 16762
7. BKK 3 AT 297 12947 12873 5M 0 74 569 16091
8. SIN 3 AT 889 13836 13759 5M 0 77 610 17198
9. IST 2 PA 5374 19210 12268 EXC 0 3875 EXC 15335
10. ATH 2 PA 343 19553 12646 EXC 0 3745 EXC 15807
11. FRA 2 PA 1129 20682 13466 EXC 0 3849 EXC 16832
12. LON 2 PA 390 21072 13782 EXC 0 3844 EXC 17227
13. YTO 1 - 3578 24650 ****
14. YWG 1 - 933 25583 ****
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by AleEat
I gather the whole trip must not exceed the MPM between my origin and destination - I've interpreted that to mean twice the MPM indicated by Expertflyer as it's a round trip so...

13,607X2 = 27214
hi there, that is not correct. Each direction is calculated individually.

Your outbound is YWG-YYZ-AMS-IST-SIN-BKK-USM
Your return/inbound is USM-BKK-SIN-IST-ATH-FRA-LHR-YYZ-YWG

Each must be under the YWG-USM max mileage permitted.

I think you're OK tho, as your routes are similar in length.

I think the YQ might be quite high for this routing though, due to the TATL AC segments implied by the YYZ-AMS and LHR-YYZ legs. Since you aren't stopping in LHR, FRA, AMS, or YYZ, you may want to look into alternative routing like using TK (Turkish) on your outbound to get to IST (YWG-YYZ/YUL-IST) and using LX (Swiss) on your return (ATH-ZRH-YUL/ORD-YWG)

Another option is to go TPAC to get to BKK/USM on the outbound, use BR (EVA) and do something like YWG-YVR-TPE-BKK

Another suggestion is to end your trip at BKK, and book the BKK-USM flight with cash , separately. The flight is so short, should be pretty cheap. It would allow you to add another stop somewhere. Only useful if you wish to stop in a 4th place, but just putting it out there in case you overlooked it

Last edited by Cerenity; Nov 21, 2017 at 9:58 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
I think the YQ might be quite high for this routing though, due to the TATL AC segments. Since you aren't stopping in LHR, FRA, AMS, or YYZ, you may want to look into alternative routing like using TK on your outbound to get to IST (YWG-YYZ/YUL-IST) and using LX on your return (ATH-ZRH-YUL/ORD-YWG)
Thank you. I was hoping that might not be the case with the SE waiver of some of the YQ on AC metal. I could actually change the outbound TATL to YWG-YUL-ORD-IST (ORD-IST on Turkish). I think there may be some other options to eliminate the AC return TATL segment too.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by AleEat
Thank you. I was hoping that might not be the case with the SE waiver of some of the YQ on AC metal. I could actually change the outbound TATL to YWG-YUL-ORD-IST (ORD-IST on Turkish). I think there may be some other options to eliminate the AC return TATL segment too.
Ah yes, in that case, just ignore that part of what I said. I think you're right for SEs

I added this after your reply to my original reply, so just pasting it here in case you miss it
"Another suggestion is to end your trip at BKK, and book the BKK-USM flight with cash , separately. The flight is so short, should be pretty cheap. It would allow you to add another stop somewhere. Only useful if you wish to stop in a 4th place, but just putting it out there in case you overlooked it"
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:33 am

Great suggestion and one which I’ll explore. Thanks again!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:40 pm

First time booking. Itinerary help.

Booking my first reward redemption. Just wanted to run it by some of you to see if everything looks good.

YVR (Vancouver) - YYZ (Toronto): AC
YYZ (Toronto) - LGA (New York): AC
JFK (New York) - BRU (Brussels): SN
BRU (Brussels) - CDG (Paris): SN
CDG (Paris) - ZRH (Zurich): LX
ZRH (Zurich) - PMO (Palermo): LX
VCE (Venice) - IST (Istanbul) TK
IST (Istanbul) - ATH (Athens): TK
ATH (Athens) - ZRH (Zurich): TK
ZRH (Zurich) - YUL (Montreal) LX
YUL (Montreal) - YVR (Vancouver) AC

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO
MPM 10097, this itinerary is about 9200

Only thing I see as an issue is YYZ-LGA international fees but I can't find any YYZ/YUL - Europe availability for our dates (May 21/22)

Any help or tips is appreciated. Just want to make sure this itinerary is okay but feel free to make suggestions.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by YEGcg
All booked!

Traveling in J for:
YEG-YVR AC
YVR-TPE BR (Layover)
TPE-HKG BR (Stopover)
HKG-BKK TG
BKK-SIN SQ (Destination)
SIN-PEK CA (Layover)
PEK-CPH SK (Stopover)
CPH-EWR SK
EWR-YYZ UA
YYZ-YEG AC

Taxes / fees: ~$250 pp

I tried booking the last leg as CPH-WAW-YYZ-YEG, but the miles were just over (telephone agent simply said the system refused it, but did not elaborate, even with a little nudging)

One last question (hopefully): once travel has commenced, is it possible to change a flight or change a stopover into an open jaw? Agent on a preliminary call said yes, but I have a feeling that once we’ve started traveling there will be an issue if/when I make that call (while paying for long distance).
I've been reverse-engineering some of these recent bookings in preparation for my first award booking but I must not be understanding the MPM rule correctly... How were you able to book this itinerary?

With YEG as the start and SIN as the turnaround point, the return leg of SIN-PEK-CPH-EWR-YYZ-YEG exceeds the SIN-YEG mileage by 63% (13,154 vs 8,092). Even the YEG-SIN leg is 10% over the direct MPM allowance...

Does the itinerary no longer need to be within 5% of the MPM or am I calculating the miles incorrectly?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow
I've been reverse-engineering some of these recent bookings in preparation for my first award booking but I must not be understanding the MPM rule correctly... How were you able to book this itinerary?

With YEG as the start and SIN as the turnaround point, the return leg of SIN-PEK-CPH-EWR-YYZ-YEG exceeds the SIN-YEG mileage by 63% (13,154 vs 8,092). Even the YEG-SIN leg is 10% over the direct MPM allowance...

Does the itinerary no longer need to be within 5% of the MPM or am I calculating the miles incorrectly?
YEG-SIN MPM looks to be 13447

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28336006-post209.html
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by ennsy
Booking my first reward redemption. Just wanted to run it by some of you to see if everything looks good.

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO

Only thing I see as an issue is YYZ-LGA international fees but I can't find any YYZ/YUL - Europe availability for our dates (May 21/22)

Any help or tips is appreciated. Just want to make sure this itinerary is okay but feel free to make suggestions.
Make sure you give your self lots of time for the LGA-JFK transfer.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

As the other poster said, MPM for YEG-SIN is a LOT more than 8092. They fully expect you to have to fly that route with a lot of connections.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by ennsy

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO

You also have an open jaw in here. WOnt that make it invalid?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Originally Posted by Smiley90
As the other poster said, MPM for YEG-SIN is a LOT more than 8092. They fully expect you to have to fly that route with a lot of connections.
Ah ok, I was going off the mileages from GCM. Looks like AC gives you some leeway when they do their calculations.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
I had much appreciated help from fellow FT’ers when booking, pointing me to the MPM. Since it’s nearly impossible to fly from most cities directly to most other cities (for example, there are no direct flights from any Canadian city to Singapore), the MPM has to be more than the most direct route from A-B.

I did try to book a routing slightly above the posted (on FT) MPM on the return, but was denied. The variance was less than 2-3% over.

Looking back through this thread, I realized I could have tried for more <24hr layovers, but our travel style (still need to work while traveling) means longer stays at destinations/stopovers are preferred over a series of short layovers. But those don’t necessarily increase mileage, since on the TPAC route there’s so few places to stop and they’re pretty much on the way (and I had no desire to fly to LAX/SFO/IAH for <24hr first, when dinner with friends in YVR sounds more appealing!)

Edit: Initially I tried to booking on AE website for YEG-DPS (Bali). Flying to was via CPH and BKK or SIN, with the return via TYO or HKG.

Ah ok, I was going off the mileages from GCM. Looks like AC gives you some leeway when they do their calculations.

Last edited by YEGcg; Nov 22, 2017 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.