Mini RTW Questions

Reply

Old Nov 19, 17, 3:10 pm
  #5206  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 13
Hi all - have never tried to book a type of mini-rtw reward before. I've tried to comprehend the rules, and this is what I came up with - wondering if anyone knows/can guess whether this will be a permitted routing?

YSJ - NRT via YYZ, ORD [1st stopover]
NRT - BKK [destination]
BKK - ICN [2nd stopover]
ICN - YSJ via LAX, YYZ

Looking at 1-way awards on the aeroplan site suggests availability on my preferred dates for all routes (just doing, say, a 1-way from YSJ - NRT, then another 1-way for KIX - BKK, for example) in the booking classes I want (currently trying to experience a mix of first and business class on ANA (777-300), Thai (747-400) and Asiana (380).

Appreciate any help - thanks!
bid.shader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 17, 8:24 pm
  #5207  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by bid.shader View Post
Hi all - have never tried to book a type of mini-rtw reward before. I've tried to comprehend the rules, and this is what I came up with - wondering if anyone knows/can guess whether this will be a permitted routing?

YSJ - NRT via YYZ, ORD [1st stopover]
NRT - BKK [destination]
BKK - ICN [2nd stopover]
ICN - YSJ via LAX, YYZ

Looking at 1-way awards on the aeroplan site suggests availability on my preferred dates for all routes (just doing, say, a 1-way from YSJ - NRT, then another 1-way for KIX - BKK, for example) in the booking classes I want (currently trying to experience a mix of first and business class on ANA (777-300), Thai (747-400) and Asiana (380).

Appreciate any help - thanks!
Should be fine, as that routing is about 21,422 miles (via greatcirclemapper). If they give you trouble, ask for the maximum permitted mileage for YSJ-BKK, and organize an itinerary within that.
Rykoshet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 17, 4:56 am
  #5208  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Rykoshet View Post
Should be fine, as that routing is about 21,422 miles (via greatcirclemapper). If they give you trouble, ask for the maximum permitted mileage for YSJ-BKK, and organize an itinerary within that.
Great, thanks - much appreciated.
bid.shader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 9:39 am
  #5209  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Posts: 250
Hello, I'm new to the Mini RTW game and am attempting to book my first. Sorry if I've missed some obvious points here but I've spent hours reading the various wiki's and consulting the resources they point to. I'm still not sure I understand all of the "rules" or pseudo rules that apply so at this point I'll ask for your help please.

I've determined seating is available on:

YWG-YYZ
YYZ-AMS
AMS-IST (overnight stay less than 24hr)
IST-SIN
SIN-BKK (stop - 3 DAYS)
BKK-USM (stop - 5 DAYS)
USM-BKK
BKK-SIN
SIN-IST
IST-ATH (Stop 5 DAYS)
ATH-FRA
FRA-LHR
LHR-YYZ
YYZ-YWG


I gather the whole trip must not exceed the MPM between my origin and destination - I've interpreted that to mean twice the MPM indicated by Expertflyer as it's a round trip so...

13,607X2 = 27214


Unless I've missed something completely, I "should" be ok for MPM as the accumulated mileage for this trip (as per EF) is less than the round trip MPM for YWG/USM . Not quite sure if I'm breaking any other rules?



YWG AC YTO AC ZRH AC IST AC SIN AC BKK AC USM AC
BKK AC SIN AC IST AC ATH AC FRA AC LON AC YTO AC
YWG /21MAR18
*** - CONTAINS RETRANSITTED INTERMEDIATE POINT
************************************************** ***********

CTY GI TPM CUM MPM EMS DED LAST NEXT 25M

YWG 1
1. YTO 1 - 933 933
2. ZRH 2 AT 4050 4983 5827 0M 0 0 844 7283
3. IST 2 AT 1107 6090 7099 0M 0 0 1009 8873
4. SIN 3 AT 5374 11464 13759 0M 0 0 2295 17198
5. BKK 3 AT 889 12353 12873 0M 0 0 520 16091
6. USM 3 AT 297 12650 13410 0M 0 0 760 16762
7. BKK 3 AT 297 12947 12873 5M 0 74 569 16091
8. SIN 3 AT 889 13836 13759 5M 0 77 610 17198
9. IST 2 PA 5374 19210 12268 EXC 0 3875 EXC 15335
10. ATH 2 PA 343 19553 12646 EXC 0 3745 EXC 15807
11. FRA 2 PA 1129 20682 13466 EXC 0 3849 EXC 16832
12. LON 2 PA 390 21072 13782 EXC 0 3844 EXC 17227
13. YTO 1 - 3578 24650 ****
14. YWG 1 - 933 25583 ****
AleEat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 9:49 am
  #5210  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by AleEat View Post
I gather the whole trip must not exceed the MPM between my origin and destination - I've interpreted that to mean twice the MPM indicated by Expertflyer as it's a round trip so...

13,607X2 = 27214
hi there, that is not correct. Each direction is calculated individually.

Your outbound is YWG-YYZ-AMS-IST-SIN-BKK-USM
Your return/inbound is USM-BKK-SIN-IST-ATH-FRA-LHR-YYZ-YWG

Each must be under the YWG-USM max mileage permitted.

I think you're OK tho, as your routes are similar in length.

I think the YQ might be quite high for this routing though, due to the TATL AC segments implied by the YYZ-AMS and LHR-YYZ legs. Since you aren't stopping in LHR, FRA, AMS, or YYZ, you may want to look into alternative routing like using TK (Turkish) on your outbound to get to IST (YWG-YYZ/YUL-IST) and using LX (Swiss) on your return (ATH-ZRH-YUL/ORD-YWG)

Another option is to go TPAC to get to BKK/USM on the outbound, use BR (EVA) and do something like YWG-YVR-TPE-BKK

Another suggestion is to end your trip at BKK, and book the BKK-USM flight with cash , separately. The flight is so short, should be pretty cheap. It would allow you to add another stop somewhere. Only useful if you wish to stop in a 4th place, but just putting it out there in case you overlooked it

Last edited by Cerenity; Nov 21, 17 at 9:58 am
Cerenity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 9:56 am
  #5211  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Cerenity View Post
I think the YQ might be quite high for this routing though, due to the TATL AC segments. Since you aren't stopping in LHR, FRA, AMS, or YYZ, you may want to look into alternative routing like using TK on your outbound to get to IST (YWG-YYZ/YUL-IST) and using LX on your return (ATH-ZRH-YUL/ORD-YWG)
Thank you. I was hoping that might not be the case with the SE waiver of some of the YQ on AC metal. I could actually change the outbound TATL to YWG-YUL-ORD-IST (ORD-IST on Turkish). I think there may be some other options to eliminate the AC return TATL segment too.
AleEat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 9:59 am
  #5212  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by AleEat View Post
Thank you. I was hoping that might not be the case with the SE waiver of some of the YQ on AC metal. I could actually change the outbound TATL to YWG-YUL-ORD-IST (ORD-IST on Turkish). I think there may be some other options to eliminate the AC return TATL segment too.
Ah yes, in that case, just ignore that part of what I said. I think you're right for SEs

I added this after your reply to my original reply, so just pasting it here in case you miss it
"Another suggestion is to end your trip at BKK, and book the BKK-USM flight with cash , separately. The flight is so short, should be pretty cheap. It would allow you to add another stop somewhere. Only useful if you wish to stop in a 4th place, but just putting it out there in case you overlooked it"
Cerenity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 11:33 am
  #5213  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Posts: 250
Great suggestion and one which I’ll explore. Thanks again!
AleEat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:40 pm
  #5214  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 88
First time booking. Itinerary help.

Booking my first reward redemption. Just wanted to run it by some of you to see if everything looks good.

YVR (Vancouver) - YYZ (Toronto): AC
YYZ (Toronto) - LGA (New York): AC
JFK (New York) - BRU (Brussels): SN
BRU (Brussels) - CDG (Paris): SN
CDG (Paris) - ZRH (Zurich): LX
ZRH (Zurich) - PMO (Palermo): LX
VCE (Venice) - IST (Istanbul) TK
IST (Istanbul) - ATH (Athens): TK
ATH (Athens) - ZRH (Zurich): TK
ZRH (Zurich) - YUL (Montreal) LX
YUL (Montreal) - YVR (Vancouver) AC

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO
MPM 10097, this itinerary is about 9200

Only thing I see as an issue is YYZ-LGA international fees but I can't find any YYZ/YUL - Europe availability for our dates (May 21/22)

Any help or tips is appreciated. Just want to make sure this itinerary is okay but feel free to make suggestions.
ennsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 9:21 pm
  #5215  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 236
Originally Posted by YEGcg View Post
All booked!

Traveling in J for:
YEG-YVR AC
YVR-TPE BR (Layover)
TPE-HKG BR (Stopover)
HKG-BKK TG
BKK-SIN SQ (Destination)
SIN-PEK CA (Layover)
PEK-CPH SK (Stopover)
CPH-EWR SK
EWR-YYZ UA
YYZ-YEG AC

Taxes / fees: ~$250 pp

I tried booking the last leg as CPH-WAW-YYZ-YEG, but the miles were just over (telephone agent simply said the system refused it, but did not elaborate, even with a little nudging)

One last question (hopefully): once travel has commenced, is it possible to change a flight or change a stopover into an open jaw? Agent on a preliminary call said yes, but I have a feeling that once we’ve started traveling there will be an issue if/when I make that call (while paying for long distance).
I've been reverse-engineering some of these recent bookings in preparation for my first award booking but I must not be understanding the MPM rule correctly... How were you able to book this itinerary?

With YEG as the start and SIN as the turnaround point, the return leg of SIN-PEK-CPH-EWR-YYZ-YEG exceeds the SIN-YEG mileage by 63% (13,154 vs 8,092). Even the YEG-SIN leg is 10% over the direct MPM allowance...

Does the itinerary no longer need to be within 5% of the MPM or am I calculating the miles incorrectly?
GiantCow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 17, 11:56 pm
  #5216  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
I've been reverse-engineering some of these recent bookings in preparation for my first award booking but I must not be understanding the MPM rule correctly... How were you able to book this itinerary?

With YEG as the start and SIN as the turnaround point, the return leg of SIN-PEK-CPH-EWR-YYZ-YEG exceeds the SIN-YEG mileage by 63% (13,154 vs 8,092). Even the YEG-SIN leg is 10% over the direct MPM allowance...

Does the itinerary no longer need to be within 5% of the MPM or am I calculating the miles incorrectly?
YEG-SIN MPM looks to be 13447

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28336006-post209.html
pentiumvi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:01 am
  #5217  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by ennsy View Post
Booking my first reward redemption. Just wanted to run it by some of you to see if everything looks good.

YVR (Vancouver) - YYZ (Toronto): AC
YYZ (Toronto) - LGA (New York): AC
JFK (New York) - BRU (Brussels): SN
BRU (Brussels) - CDG (Paris): SN
CDG (Paris) - ZRH (Zurich): LX
ZRH (Zurich) - PMO (Palermo): LX
VCE (Venice) - IST (Istanbul) TK
IST (Istanbul) - ATH (Athens): TK
ATH (Athens) - ZRH (Zurich): TK
ZRH (Zurich) - YUL (Montreal) LX
YUL (Montreal) - YVR (Vancouver) AC

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO
MPM 10097, this itinerary is about 9200

Only thing I see as an issue is YYZ-LGA international fees but I can't find any YYZ/YUL - Europe availability for our dates (May 21/22)

Any help or tips is appreciated. Just want to make sure this itinerary is okay but feel free to make suggestions.
Make sure you give your self lots of time for the LGA-JFK transfer.
pentiumvi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:38 am
  #5218  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 5,176
Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
I've been reverse-engineering some of these recent bookings in preparation for my first award booking but I must not be understanding the MPM rule correctly... How were you able to book this itinerary?

With YEG as the start and SIN as the turnaround point, the return leg of SIN-PEK-CPH-EWR-YYZ-YEG exceeds the SIN-YEG mileage by 63% (13,154 vs 8,092). Even the YEG-SIN leg is 10% over the direct MPM allowance...

Does the itinerary no longer need to be within 5% of the MPM or am I calculating the miles incorrectly?
As the other poster said, MPM for YEG-SIN is a LOT more than 8092. They fully expect you to have to fly that route with a lot of connections.
Smiley90 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:36 am
  #5219  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Posts: 2,697
Originally Posted by ennsy View Post
Booking my first reward redemption. Just wanted to run it by some of you to see if everything looks good.

YVR (Vancouver) - YYZ (Toronto): AC
YYZ (Toronto) - LGA (New York): AC
JFK (New York) - BRU (Brussels): SN
BRU (Brussels) - CDG (Paris): SN
CDG (Paris) - ZRH (Zurich): LX
ZRH (Zurich) - PMO (Palermo): LX
VCE (Venice) - IST (Istanbul) TK
IST (Istanbul) - ATH (Athens): TK
ATH (Athens) - ZRH (Zurich): TK
ZRH (Zurich) - YUL (Montreal) LX
YUL (Montreal) - YVR (Vancouver) AC

Destination is ATH
Stopovers are CDG, PMO
MPM 10097, this itinerary is about 9200

Only thing I see as an issue is YYZ-LGA international fees but I can't find any YYZ/YUL - Europe availability for our dates (May 21/22)

Any help or tips is appreciated. Just want to make sure this itinerary is okay but feel free to make suggestions.

You also have an open jaw in here. WOnt that make it invalid?
CanuckFlyHigh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:51 am
  #5220  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 236
Originally Posted by pentiumvi View Post
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
As the other poster said, MPM for YEG-SIN is a LOT more than 8092. They fully expect you to have to fly that route with a lot of connections.
Ah ok, I was going off the mileages from GCM. Looks like AC gives you some leeway when they do their calculations.
GiantCow is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread