Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Its likely there are no connector flights to one of the TK gateways, you will need to search by segment. I ran into the same thing, AC wants you to fly AC/LH thru Europe so they can scam you for hundreds of $.

You will need to find TK space ex-USA, and then connector separately.
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Stop searching from YVR. Find every Canadian and US city that TK flies out of, and search the trans-atlantic flight first. IE YUL-IST, or ORD-IST. Then work backwards to find your domestic flights on each end.

Pay for Expert Flyer. It's worth it.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Although I also use Expert Flyer, I would also add KVS Tool for consideration.

It worked really well for a recent NZ/Fiji/Oz reward trip I booked.

Thanks guys! Its much appreciated. I did some searching and found some flights out of BOS/IAH/ORD

Working backwards and forwards I'm sure i can fly the individual flight segments that work. Is it then just a matter of calling in to book? (Since the web site is obviously not going to cut it?)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Hi!

I’m looking for MPM(?) info to book YEG-SIN with a stopover in Asia/Europe each direction. I plan to travel in January and will be booking J (though I don’t think this affects max miles...). Regardless, I know that I’ll have to call in to make my booking, so I want to be prepared.

Any issues or gotchas with this? For instance, am I effectively limited to stopovers at AC gateways like LHR or FRA or can I try to include a different European destination (like CPH or ARN)?

Likewise in Asia; any mileage issues stopping over in TYO vs HKG?

Overall, here’s my ideal routing:
YEG-Europe (stopover)-SIN (POT)-HKG (stopover)-YEG (or vice versa)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YEGcg
Hi!

I’m looking for MPM(?) info to book YEG-SIN with a stopover in Asia/Europe each direction. I plan to travel in January and will be booking J (though I don’t think this affects max miles...). Regardless, I know that I’ll have to call in to make my booking, so I want to be prepared.

Any issues or gotchas with this? For instance, am I effectively limited to stopovers at AC gateways like LHR or FRA or can I try to include a different European destination (like CPH or ARN)?

You can see the new AE-specific MPM for some routes in this wiki:
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)

Routing options via Europe are somewhat limited due to MPM while routing back via the Pacific with a stopover in most Asian cities (BKK/TYO/ICN/PVG/PEK/HKG) is no problem at all.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Hi!

I just did YYC - IST (stop) - DAR (stop) - SIN (turn) - YYC

So I would think removing DAR and adding HKG should keep you well within MPM!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by emustyle
Thanks guys! Its much appreciated. I did some searching and found some flights out of BOS/IAH/ORD

Working backwards and forwards I'm sure i can fly the individual flight segments that work. Is it then just a matter of calling in to book? (Since the web site is obviously not going to cut it?)
Depending how many segments you have, you can search a multi-city. Otherwise just call in. Call with a very specific itinerary and flight numbers.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: *void
Hi!

The Aeroplan MPM thread shows:
-YEG-SIN is 13447 (q) May 20, 2017

Which makes it a bit tight for you to go through Europe from YEG to get to SIN, but definitely do-able. You will be constrained on the the TATL/European arm, but easily within MPM on the TPAC branch i.e., SIN(POT)-HKG/TYO(STOP)-YEG

Looking for January seats during November is a short 2 month window though, so might be limiting, especially for J awards.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:35 pm

Hi!

I also live in YEG and booked my mini-RTW with Europe and Asia (HKT). See here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28898099-post496.html

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask me any questions. My aim was to reduce fees - LHR will add quite a bit in J since they charge extra for J departures. I am flying into BRU as a stop and paying for a $44 one way flight on SN from BRU - LHR.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Thanks for the info, all! This has been very helpful.

I'm glad that I have a relatively flexible timeframe to work with, but I see that there are a number of TATL and TPAC segments are already booked in J. So I'm just focusing on those flights/dates first, then will fill in the blanks. Not too worried about anything domestic for J, since I can check to see if R space has opened up in the next few months on any AC segments and call in to switch (for free). Does this work the same for changing a *A partner flight originally booked into Y on a J itinerary?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AC 75K
Thanks for the info, all! This has been very helpful.

I'm glad that I have a relatively flexible timeframe to work with, but I see that there are a number of TATL and TPAC segments are already booked in J. So I'm just focusing on those flights/dates first, then will fill in the blanks. Not too worried about anything domestic for J, since I can check to see if R space has opened up in the next few months on any AC segments and call in to switch (for free). Does this work the same for changing a *A partner flight originally booked into Y on a J itinerary?
You need to look for I space, not R space. Yes, this also works for *A partners. Note that for AC segments only, you can also standby at the gate for business if you weren't able to confirm in advance. You just need to request to be placed on the onload list at the gate or checkin.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:19 am

Hi,

I am planing my first mini RTW with a friend with travel dates Feb or March. I've been reading these forums for a few hours and I do have a few questions:

YYZ - YUL - ZHR - LIS (stop)
LIS – IST - BKK (stop/open jaw)
HKT - PEK - NRT (stop)
NRT - YYZ (via ORD/LAX/TPE..)

1) Will they allow me to do an open jaw at BKK? I was hoping to spend a few days in LIS, BKK, HKT and NRT.
2) Looking to enjoy J to the fullest with my friend, I was thinking LX to ZRH, TK to BKK. Should I go with EVA from Europe to Asia? and what would you advise from NRT to YYZ as I see so many options?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by maxTO
Hi,

I am planing my first mini RTW with a friend with travel dates Feb or March. I've been reading these forums for a few hours and I do have a few questions:

YYZ - YUL - ZHR - LIS (stop)
LIS – IST - BKK (stop/open jaw)
HKT - PEK - NRT (stop)
NRT - YYZ (via ORD/LAX/TPE..)

1) Will they allow me to do an open jaw at BKK? I was hoping to spend a few days in LIS, BKK, HKT and NRT.
2) Looking to enjoy J to the fullest with my friend, I was thinking LX to ZRH, TK to BKK. Should I go with EVA from Europe to Asia? and what would you advise from NRT to YYZ as I see so many options?

Thanks!
No, 2 stops, no open jaw or 1 stop + 1 open jaw.
Flights between HKT and BKK are so cheap, that you can just do a side trip.

In fact, the YQ alone on TG from BKK to HKT will be more than a flight in Y purchased separately.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:27 pm

In fact, the YQ alone on TG from BKK to HKT will be more than a flight in Y purchased separately.
There's no YQ on TG flights.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by flyer05
There's no YQ on TG flights.
Of course there is, just not domestically I guess anymore

FRA-BKK

Thailand Advance Passenger Processing User Charge
$1.30
Thailand International Arrival and Departure Fees
$0.60
Germany International Passenger Service Charge
$28.00
Carrier Surcharge
$101.20
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:39 pm

Of course there is, just not domestically I guess anymore
Correct, no YQ on domestic TG flights, but still there internationally.

​​
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AC 75K
No, 2 stops, no open jaw or 1 stop + 1 open jaw.
Flights between HKT and BKK are so cheap, that you can just do a side trip.

So, couple this with the Open Jaw having to be at the POT, basically you lose a stopover opportunity?

Normally, it's 2 Stopovers + POT, but with an Open Jaw, it's 1 Stopover + 1 OJ (which is also the POT)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.