Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jazz to operate 757-200s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:47 am

I am assuming JAZZ will be behind the screen, under the radar, it's strictly business on their end , no jazz aircrafts or marketing and i doubt they will use AC ground handling has they do in YUL/YYZ
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Would they not be the same SkyService pilots who flew them before? It is easier for JAZZ to do this with its union, than for AC to take on a new aircraft and retrain its own pilots under its union's contract. For JAZZ, the significant rating change for its pilots will become available in the future but doesn't have to result in an immediate retraining process. There are lots of surplus 757 pilots on the market who can be hired on non-full time contracts.
i am assuming that either the Skyservice/Thomas Cook contract with AC Jazz will require them to give consideration to existing (now former) Skyservice staff. Or AC Jazz will recieve a few more new job applications..... Union goes, those staff will go under AC Jazz and at the bottom of the seniority list.

Unlike a merger where seniority dates is typically administered separately with 2 union contracts, by merging the hiring dates to a new seniority list or by pegging the merged staff seniority date to the merger date (depending on negotiation); in contracted services staff are at the mercy of the contract wording, the new employer (AC Jazz) or the advocacy role of the former union.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:39 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i am assuming that either the Skyservice/Thomas Cook contract with AC Jazz will require them to give consideration to existing (now former) Skyservice staff.
Why would they?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
i am assuming that either the Skyservice/Thomas Cook contract with AC Jazz will require them to give consideration to existing (now former) Skyservice staff. Or AC Jazz will recieve a few more new job applications..... Union goes, those staff will go under AC Jazz and at the bottom of the seniority list.

Unlike a merger where seniority dates is typically administered separately with 2 union contracts, by merging the hiring dates to a new seniority list or by pegging the merged staff seniority date to the merger date (depending on negotiation); in contracted services staff are at the mercy of the contract wording, the new employer (AC Jazz) or the advocacy role of the former union.
The Thomas Cook contract with Skyservice wouldn't outlive Skyservice. And given that Jazz is unionized, you'd see hell freeze over before they gave Skyservice staff consideration over their own. Maybe Skyservice staff will go to the top of the application pile, but no more than that.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:36 pm

So Jazz CRJ captains to B757 Captains? They will have no choice but to go outside Jazz.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Toule911
3. Will they be XM planes (with AVOID)?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AP (peon level)
Big Jazzy planes?

Under the agreement as other's see it, does this mean that Jazz merely takes over the operation of the flight using TC 757s? I though someone made mention of the Skyservice planes. Since that airline no longer exists, wouldn't it make sense from a Jazz point of view to want their livery on the airplane? Or is the agreement really just an out sourcing strategey to AC Jazz?

Would they stay operating out of T3?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by getaround
So Jazz CRJ captains to B757 Captains? They will have no choice but to go outside Jazz.
If this is the plan, remind me not to fly a Jazz operated 757 in their first year of operations!

My guess is that Jazz has worked out something with their union where in exchange for Jazz pilots having the future opportunity to Captain "real" aircraft (and perhaps right seat from the start), Jazz is allowed to bring in experienced 757 pilots to captain the ships.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
If this is the plan, remind me not to fly a Jazz operated 757 in their first year of operations!

My guess is that Jazz has worked out something with their union where in exchange for Jazz pilots having the future opportunity to Captain "real" aircraft (and perhaps right seat from the start), Jazz is allowed to bring in experienced 757 pilots to captain the ships.
Im sure that this is going to go the same way as it did when the RJs came into the fleet, Experenced training and line indoc crews will be hired to handle the conversion for the exisiting Jazz pilots. The same will happen for the cabin crew.

I'm sure the Q400s will happen the same way, since it's a seperate type raiting for the pilots.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The Thomas Cook contract with Skyservice wouldn't outlive Skyservice. And given that Jazz is unionized, you'd see hell freeze over before they gave Skyservice staff consideration over their own. Maybe Skyservice staff will go to the top of the application pile, but no more than that.
having worked in similar situations (for another mode of transportation dealing with different classes, contracts etc...), there are typically clauses in the contract to give consideration (as part goodwill)..... once again, its give consideration not assume them....because if Thomas Cook dictates Jazz to hire on, it may be consituted as an 'indirect employer'.... typically its another pile of resumes......

once hired on, those new pilots will be at the bottom of the seniority list, no different from any new pilots.... opportunity may depend on licensing of class, seniority, new internal positions to operate larger aircraft or a combination.

the airline may also create a new class of pilots within the union or have a new union local represent that particular area (757-200) that is reworded to the specific of the contract. reason of doing so, is because if ACJ loses the contract they do not have to assume the pilots into their mainstream operation.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Hybrid at most (is likely), as the operating airline needs to be on the airplane.
"Needs to be"?? Really? I don't remember any Kelowna Flightcraft livery on the exterior of the Greyhound planes (that Greyhound wet-leased from KF). http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true confirms that there was no obvious KF livery.

Of course, the rules could have changed since then

(Yes, I really did fly on Greyhound a few times back in the day. I was a starving student, give me a break )
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Hmmm. So from what I'm reading, Jazz would be free to partner with AA for intra Canada connections?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:46 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
"Needs to be"?? Really? I don't remember any Kelowna Flightcraft livery on the exterior of the Greyhound planes (that Greyhound wet-leased from KF). http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true confirms that there was no obvious KF livery.

Of course, the rules could have changed since then

(Yes, I really did fly on Greyhound a few times back in the day. I was a starving student, give me a break )
This is hazy for me, but I think they got into trouble for not! I am going to try to look this up...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I wouldn't be surprised if this type of situation was clarified in the recent changes to the CPA.

AC gets a lower cost, Jazz gets more flexibility to explore opportunites outside of AC.
I highly doubt it. A contract between two parties that would constrain or limit contracts with 3rd parties would run afoul of competition legislation except where it had directly to do with aircraft or services provided by or for Air Canada, which is not the case here.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by briantoronto
This is hazy for me, but I think they got into trouble for not! I am going to try to look this up...
The name of the operating carrier does need to be on the aircraft and must be the most prominent name if other names are on the aircraft HOWEVER exemptions can and have been made on application to the CTA. Skyservice had several such exemptions with the name of their charter clients on the aircraft tail and elsewhere. Jazz will obviously do the same if flying as Thomas Cook or whomever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.