Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jazz to operate 757-200s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:06 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Jazz to operate 757-200s

This is what happens when you sell your regional partner, it decides to compete with you! Or, Jazz becomes Republic.

Jazz Air LP announces flight services agreement with Thomas Cook Canada to operate Boeing 757-200 aircraft

Today, Jazz Air LP announced that it has signed a flight services agreement with Thomas Cook Canada Inc. ("Thomas Cook") to operate no less than six Boeing 757-200 aircraft on their behalf to various sun destinations from Canadian gateways during the winter season (November through April). Subject to Jazz obtaining the required regulatory approvals and the execution of definitive leasing and maintenance agreements with Thomas Cook Airlines Ltd., the service will commence in November 2010.

More...
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not really a surprise in that JAZZ's business plan always did call for diversification from its reliance on the AC contract. And given the shut down of SkyService last week, it seems like a good place for Thomas Cook to go (as a major creditor, this no doubt involves a shifting of the leases on the 757s to JAZZ). JAZZ's pilots union is easier to deal with than AC's so introducing a new plane, and likely hiring on the cockpit crews from SkyService, would be an easier task. Same with the other unions at JAZZ. It makes it easier for AC to not have to respond in kind by going after the business with a charter division. It's really a win-win for Cook, JAZZ and AC. (And some of the laid off crew from SkyService.)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Jazz wet leasing the aircraft from T Cook ?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:46 am
Original Poster

The PR said that the planes would be leased from TCook, so I assume these are the ex Skyservice planes for next winter.

I think the weakest "win" is for AC. Are the profits from Jazz's contract flying for AC subsidizing flying for TCook (which does compete somewhat with ACV)?

I wonder how Jazz will handle pilotsnot the most efficient to train a 757 pilot for winter flying...

In the armchair, planning airlines... /Brian
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airbus320
Is Jazz wet leasing the aircraft from T Cook ?
The PR says "Leased". It does not mention the wetness (or the lack thereof).
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoronto
The PR says "Leased". It does not mention the wetness (or the lack thereof).
Do you know what "wet leased" means" ?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Interesting twist given the past debate about Jazz forming its own tour company in this fairly recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...z+tour+company
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Do you know what "wet leased" means" ?
Wet, Damp, Dry. Yes. If this is seasonal flying, I would guess a damp lease.

Not spinning... /Brian
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:54 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ight=wet+lease
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another question....how does AC Vacations view this initiative ?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:06 am

Another question....how does AC Vacations view this initiative ?
As this is Jazz acting as a Canadian partner with Thomas Cook as required by law but the packages will be sold under the Sunquest banner, probably not as worried as if Jazz started it's own tour company called Air Canada Jazz Vacations or some similiar variation. This article talks about some of those issues.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
???????????

I really dont understand, can someone can clarify?

1. I understand that sunquest vacation will sale tickets for these thomas cook planes but will they be operated by Jazz or Thomas Cook (I mean the staff)? We will proceed at the Jazz, Air Canada or Thomas Cook check-in counter? And the flight attendants and pilots? Jazz or Thomas Cook?
2. Will they paint the 757 in Jazz colours?
3. Will they be XM planes (with AVOID)?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toule911
I really dont understand, can someone can clarify?

1. I understand that sunquest vacation will sale tickets for these thomas cook planes but will they be operated by Jazz or Thomas Cook (I mean the staff)? We will proceed at the Jazz, Air Canada or Thomas Cook check-in counter? And the flight attendants and pilots? Jazz or Thomas Cook?
This replaces Skyservice doing this flying. The particulars of this are not known (to me at least) right now, but ACs involvement will be zero to none.

2. Will they paint the 757 in Jazz colours?
Hybrid at most (is likely), as the operating airline needs to be on the airplane. See http://worldairlinenews.files.wordpr...d-yyz-tmlr.jpg as an example.

3. Will they be XM planes (with AVOID)?
No. These will be in high-density charter configuration.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks for the answer!
Maybe they will only offer the ground staff, for the check-in, operation and boarding.

So if it's for replace skyservice it's will be only in ontario and western canada... (and not in Quebec)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:00 am

My understanding, based on reading another Canadian aviation forum, is that Jazz will operate the aircraft on behalf of Thomas Cook (they will not be wet leased from them), the aircraft will be in TC colours, and will have Jazz flight numbers. Jazz pilots will be trained to fly the aircraft (e.g., new pilots may be hired but they will not be direct entry to the 757).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.