Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YVR-SYD or SEA-YVR-SYD for 19% less?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum

Yes this type of scenario has been mentioned before, and I know that there are so many variables to airline pricing including competition and the profile of the individuals in that specific market, but I need to vent...

I am used to flying out of SEA to go through US airspace rather than Canada for cheaper flights (I'm going to CAI/ATH in a few weeks and to MEX the month after) but this is just silly:

YVR-SYD-YVR = C$1435 a.i.
SEA-YVR-SYD-YVR-SEA or SEA-YYC-YVR-SYD-YVR-SEA = C$1170 a.i.

My CAI flight was about $600-700 cheaper out of SEA than YVR and Mexico about $350 less (on a $350 flight) so the $265 difference isn't earth shattering, just annoying the way this is routed back through YVR...

...can EK take me to SYD?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
I would be fine with them charging the same for SEA-YVR-X flights as for YVR-X, but I agree it's offensive for them to charge less for flights from the US, especially considering Canadian taxpayers paid for a lot of the infrastructure AC relies upon.

Ok fine, to be honest I find the entire idea of revenue management annoying. Just pick a damn price and charge me it already, bonus points of its related directly to your costs.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by pkeung

...can EK take me to SYD?
You bet - and they continue on from Sydney to Auckland. I just flew the Sydney to Auckland to Sydney route on Emirates A380. Very very very nice flight.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
AC sure knows how to treat us loyal Canadian customers
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Come on guys, let's not rehash this sillyness. Every airline in the world does this!

I just booked my wife on a flight departing a different Asian city than she was in. We saved almost 50% ($2000) by doing this, and a positioning flight only cost $150.

Even Star Alliance Round-the-world fare pricing works like this.

Several Asian fares departing developing country cities (Manila, Bali, KL, etc.) have fares that are 60-80% lower than departing from the hub cities that the flights eventually fly onto.

It's up to you to decide if your time is worth some extra savings. I'm flying LHR to YYZ to NYC and then back to Toronto instead of a direct LHR to YYZ - spending about 5 hours extra flying to be able to buy a Latitude fare for about 60% less than to Toronto alone. Air Canada wants to compete and acquire extra traffic from US hubs to fill planes, and to do that they need to compete with the pricing from those cities. I don't think this is unfair, and it's not like they're raking in a massive profit...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Come on guys, let's not rehash this sillyness. Every airline in the world does this!

I just booked my wife on a flight departing a different Asian city than she was in. We saved almost 50% ($2000) by doing this, and a positioning flight only cost $150.

Several Asian fares departing developing country cities (Manila, Bali, KL, etc.) have fares that are 60-80% lower than departing from the hub cities that the flights eventually fly onto.

It's up to you to decide if your time is worth some extra savings. I'm flying LHR to YYZ to NYC and then back to Toronto instead of a direct LHR to YYZ - spending about 5 hours extra flying to be able to buy a Latitude fare for about 60% less than to Toronto alone. Air Canada wants to compete and acquire extra traffic from US hubs to fill planes, and to do that they need to compete with the pricing from those cities. I don't think this is unfair, and it's not like they're raking in a massive profit...
+1

As for EK, I checked out its economy fare from DXB to YYZ and it was the most expensive after several other carriers who connected in Europe. (Not to mention the fare between YYZ-DXB was considerably higher than the fare to just about every destination beyond DXB in Asia!) So even EK charges its own residents more to fly to various parts of the world than it does those connecting through its hub.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mikeyyz

+2 ^
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P
These fare differences are a fact of life for Canadians. I have seen much worse than 19% to be honest. For $265, are you going to spend 5+ extra hours for a YVR-SEA car roundtrip, plus the extra flying time, plus the extra layover time in YVR, plus 500km of gas, plus SEA parking fees? Depends how much you value your time. Many will do it.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by knifemein
These fare differences are a fact of life for Canadians. I have seen much worse than 19% to be honest. For $265, are you going to spend 5+ extra hours for a YVR-SEA car roundtrip, plus the extra flying time, plus the extra layover time in YVR, plus 500km of gas, plus SEA parking fees? Depends how much you value your time. Many will do it.
I would pay Amtrak the $35 to take the Cascades from Vancouver down to Seattle, and work my way to the airport. Then again, I've taken the 67 overnight Regional from BOS to NWK, spending $49 and six hours, then taking the city bus from Newark Penn Station at 4am, to the airport. The fare for EWR-YYZ-YHZ was about $200 a/i, while the BOS-YHZ fare on Jazz was more than double. Coming back home, I flew to YUL, and took Greyhound back to Boston. That saved me another $150.

So in other words...

BOS-NWK (train) NWK-EWR (city bus) EWR-YYZ-YHZ (plane) YHZ-YUL (plane) YUL-BOS (bus) = $571.79 a/i

BOS-YHZ-BOS (plane) = $850+ a/i

Crazy? Why thank you!

Last edited by Triley; Mar 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Triley
I would pay Amtrak the $35 to take the Cascades from Vancouver down to Seattle, and work my way to the airport. Then again, I've taken the 67 overnight Regional from BOS to NWK, spending $49 and six hours, then taking the city bus from Newark Penn Station at 4am, to the airport. The fare for EWR-YYZ-YHZ was about $200 a/i, while the BOS-YHZ fare on Jazz was more than double. Coming back home, I flew to YUL, and took Greyhound back to Boston. That saved me another $150.

So in other words...

BOS-NWK (train) NWK-EWR (city bus) EWR-YYZ-YHZ (plane) YHZ-YUL (plane) YUL-BOS (bus) = $571.79 a/i

BOS-YHZ-BOS (plane) = $850+ a/i

Crazy? Why thank you!
Yikes!!! The Greyhound from YUL to BOS alone is about 10 hours, I can't imagine how much added time there is for all the other bus rides, layovers, etc. If it's just a matter of "working [your] way to the airport" on buses, and things like time and comfort don't matter to you, why not just take the Greyhound all the way from BOS to YHZ? You could shave hundreds more off your total.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Yikes!!! The Greyhound from YUL to BOS alone is about 10 hours, I can't imagine how much added time there is for all the other bus rides, layovers, etc. If it's just a matter of "working [your] way to the airport" on buses, and things like time and comfort don't matter to you, why not just take the Greyhound all the way from BOS to YHZ? You could shave hundreds more off your total.
It's about 14 hours from Bangor, ME to New Glasgow (45 minutes closer than Halifax) by Acadian, I know, I've done it. :P But then it's also three and a half hours easy up to Bangor, and due to the scheduling, it'd require an overnight in Bangor.

Here's how my trip worked...

-Train-

BOS - 9:45pm
NWK - 3:20am

-City bus-

NWK - 4:00am
EWR - 4:30am (I believe?)

-Flight-

EWR - 6:25am
YYZ - 7:54am

YYZ - 10:10am
YHZ - 1:10pm

-Intercity Bus-

YHZ - 2:15pm
New Glasgow - 4:10pm

~Return~

(Got a ride from family to the airport)

-Flight-

YHZ - 8:25pm
YUL - 8:56pm

(Had to take some sort of airporter bus from the airport to the bus terminal, took maybe 45 minutes?)

-Intercity bus-

YUL - 11:05pm
BOS - 6:30am (was only scheduled 7 and a half hours, though we ran maybe 30 minutes late, due to making an unscheduled drop off about 15 minutes away from my town. Had I known he was going to do that, I would have gotten family to pick me up, instead of me going all the way down to Boston, to have to take a 45 minutes train to the town where I work.)

All in all, it actually wasn't that bad. It's been the ONLY pleasant experience I've ever had with Greyhound. And I love Amtrak anyway, so I'll make up excuses to take it, especially if it saves me that much money. I prefer Amtrak > Greyhound or any intercity bus any day.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:38 pm

Wow!! Especially given that there is a direct flight available (BOS-YHZ, only 414 miles.. your alternate route took 18 hours!), that is hardcore. Props to you.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:58 pm

Wow!! Especially given that there is a direct flight available (BOS-YHZ, only 414 miles.. your alternate route took 18 hours!), that is hardcore. Props to you.
Thing is, I find it worth the $300+ in savings. If it were only ~$50, I wouldn't consider it. Plus, I wasn't really in a rush to get to Halifax like I normally am.

So in short, it's up to each person to decide how much their time is worth. Considering I only make $10 an hour (before taxes mind you), and then considering my savings to be worth about $16.67 per hour? Certainly worth it to me.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
I hear about these low cost AC flights often when I fly from PHX-YVR. The person sitting next to me in the (sorry to be brutal) bare-bones US Air first class will tell me how they're flying to YVR to catch an AC flight to HKG or other Asian destination. They'll explain that it was a fare they couldn't pass up for a business class ticket and this will be their first trip on AC metal.

So, the discounting for US based customers does seem to attract new business for AC. However once the customer has to spend time getting hassled by Canada Customs (after standing in line for an hour), they are more likely to choose to avoid this routing the next time around IMO.

One time a seatmate of mine had fruit with him. Poor guy...
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by dfyant
So, the discounting for US based customers does seem to attract new business for AC. However once the customer has to spend time getting hassled by Canada Customs (after standing in line for an hour), they are more likely to choose to avoid this routing the next time around IMO.
Depending on when they arrive in YVR and assuming they have one ticket (so no need to recheck bags), they do have the ability to use the "transit" bypass option which will really speed things up.

Customs B at YYZ has been reasonable the few times I've had to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.