FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YVR-SYD or SEA-YVR-SYD for 19% less?!
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:49 pm
Triley

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by knifemein
These fare differences are a fact of life for Canadians. I have seen much worse than 19% to be honest. For $265, are you going to spend 5+ extra hours for a YVR-SEA car roundtrip, plus the extra flying time, plus the extra layover time in YVR, plus 500km of gas, plus SEA parking fees? Depends how much you value your time. Many will do it.
I would pay Amtrak the $35 to take the Cascades from Vancouver down to Seattle, and work my way to the airport. Then again, I've taken the 67 overnight Regional from BOS to NWK, spending $49 and six hours, then taking the city bus from Newark Penn Station at 4am, to the airport. The fare for EWR-YYZ-YHZ was about $200 a/i, while the BOS-YHZ fare on Jazz was more than double. Coming back home, I flew to YUL, and took Greyhound back to Boston. That saved me another $150.

So in other words...

BOS-NWK (train) NWK-EWR (city bus) EWR-YYZ-YHZ (plane) YHZ-YUL (plane) YUL-BOS (bus) = $571.79 a/i

BOS-YHZ-BOS (plane) = $850+ a/i

Crazy? Why thank you!

Last edited by Triley; Mar 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm