Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YVR-SYD or SEA-YVR-SYD for 19% less?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR-SYD or SEA-YVR-SYD for 19% less?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Sorry, at YVR there is no bypass that I am aware of when coming FROM the US, transiting to Asia or another area.

I think they do have to clear Canada customs, and then re-check their bags to continue on to their final destination. I've seen them queue up in line each time so I'd be surprised if there was any bypass for this.

On the way back though, there sometimes is a Canada Customs bypass when transiting TO the US (seems to be open part of the time).
Old Mar 14, 2010, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dfyant
Sorry, at YVR there is no bypass that I am aware of when coming FROM the US, transiting to Asia or another area.

I think they do have to clear Canada customs, and then re-check their bags to continue on to their final destination. I've seen them queue up in line each time so I'd be surprised if there was any bypass for this.

On the way back though, there sometimes is a Canada Customs bypass when transiting TO the US (seems to be open part of the time).
According to the YVR website if you are connecting US-International and are arriving between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. local-time there is a transit area where you do not need to claim your baggage (assuming it has been checked through) and simply need a quick check by Canada Customs.

Arrive outside these times and you need to do the full baggage claim/recheck routine.

NOTE: I selected an AC-AC connection from US-Int'l on the website. I'm not sure if selecting different airlines changes things or not.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Not sure what a "quick check" by Canada Customs is, but I haven't seen anyone go through this in that way.

Hopefully for AC's sake there is a bypass.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by pkeung
Yes this type of scenario has been mentioned before, and I know that there are so many variables to airline pricing including competition and the profile of the individuals in that specific market, but I need to vent...

I am used to flying out of SEA to go through US airspace rather than Canada for cheaper flights (I'm going to CAI/ATH in a few weeks and to MEX the month after) but this is just silly:

YVR-SYD-YVR = C$1435 a.i.
SEA-YVR-SYD-YVR-SEA or SEA-YYC-YVR-SYD-YVR-SEA = C$1170 a.i.

My CAI flight was about $600-700 cheaper out of SEA than YVR and Mexico about $350 less (on a $350 flight) so the $265 difference isn't earth shattering, just annoying the way this is routed back through YVR...

...can EK take me to SYD?
I've got one better for you !

LHR-YVR-SYD-YVR-LHR....

If no stopover in Canada, fare is C$1488 a.i.

If stopover both ways in either YYZ or YVR, fare is C$ 1635 a. i.

For fares from YVR to SYD, try one of the asian carriers via their hub .. it will be cheaper..

Try KE, JL, BR, CI, CX, and if you want to stick with *A, CA via PEK. They will all have competitive fares.. but you will need to go to an asian travel agency for this..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.