Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by why fly
TG is FOREVER OH
OH = "on hold"? Definitely seems like it. I'm a bit tired flying them, as their C offering is just ok (service is pretty good, but seats really suck). Too many of their planes don't have AVOD in Y, and they keep on switching planes on routes at the last minute.

I have a flight back to YYZ via Europe on TG and AC (FCO and then back via CDG) and both flights are using their tired 747. I didn't take enough care to check which routes fly with newer planes (duh). Mrs is in C, but I'm in Y - with no AVOD or power jacks for my laptop, so I'm hoping for an op-up. Our AC flights, on the other hand, are with the 763, so even if I don't get an upgrade with my SSWUs, I'll be quite happy.

I recently met up with a friend of mine who happens to be a FA with AC - she really praised AC's equipment, and AC especially for making the investment to XM the fleet - and that's not just because she's an AC employee!

Anyhow, if I had to choose amongst NA carriers, I'd fly AC any day.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
WELL said......^ YOW Crazy to think 3 planes make such a difference.. when other airlines have complete fleets of mismatched planes.. I think UA will take over 4 years to convert to lay flat SQ is going to be 3years. TG is FOREVER OH and SQ has domestic and international business seats.
In case you need to put this into a mathematical persepective, the 3 non-XM'd aircraft account for 1.485% of the total mainline fleet.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
In case you need to put this into a mathematical persepective, the 3 non-XM'd aircraft account for 1.485% of the total mainline fleet.
why not count up all the posts on this and find out how much disdain for AC is caused by only 3 planes....
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
the NON XM are perfct planes for AC to use for HNL its keeps them competitive with other airlines... lets hope they wont waste the new 787 on a transboarder flight..
By that rationale, AC should not have wasted money buying E-jets to put on such short routes as YYZ-New York. They could have kept flying DC-9's.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
..Feels like Russian Roulette when booking flights using the three non XM planes. Mind you, they can show up anytime and surprise you like when the Jetz A319 is at your gate instead of the regular plane!!^

AC is good when putting them on routes as I tried out YYZ to BCN and the new route clearly shows that its a non XM.

As some have already stated, many airlines fly tired boring planes and AC with the exception of three planes all have updated in flight entertianment. JAZZ, well the CRA are great all 16 of them.

..PS> spelling does not count when in a rush!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Hey! These planes are called the "3 amigos". Amigo=friend. So why can't we be friendly towards them?! I am actually trying to make a booking in such a manner that I can fly on of them in the summer... $250 for "Comfort Plus" is a deal!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:50 pm

I can understand that folks from Canada want a cheap flight to Hawaii, but don't they mind the broken equipment, torn seating, doors falling off? I feel that by the past posts, us living in Hawaii are treated as the poor children, unable to benefit from enhancements. I fly to lovely Canada at least once a year and don't mind the smaller J seats & pitch (still paying over 3K for these flights), BUT I do mind having an exit sign falling into my lap (actually happened), and torn, disgusting seats in J. If they completely refurbished (cleaned up) the 3 amigos I'd have no problem flying them. I do enjoy the AC 6hr flight to YVR from HNL but would enjoy it more with clean and not worn out planes, even more with the xm'd planes.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by niele
I can understand that folks from Canada want a cheap flight to Hawaii, but don't they mind the broken equipment, torn seating, doors falling off? I feel that by the past posts, us living in Hawaii are treated as the poor children, unable to benefit from enhancements. I fly to lovely Canada at least once a year and don't mind the smaller J seats & pitch (still paying over 3K for these flights), BUT I do mind having an exit sign falling into my lap (actually happened), and torn, disgusting seats in J. If they completely refurbished (cleaned up) the 3 amigos I'd have no problem flying them. I do enjoy the AC 6hr flight to YVR from HNL but would enjoy it more with clean and not worn out planes, even more with the xm'd planes.
...and people here think this does not hurt AC's brand....
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:52 pm

I absolutely agree with this. These are the worst planes in the fleet.

I don't mind having domestic J on a 7 hour YYC to OGG flight but not with such grubby interiors.

Originally Posted by niele
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:54 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
^agree 100%. People seem to think we want international J. Not the case (it would be nice) transborder J or domestic is just fine for this route. Just have planes in decent shape with avod and I would be happy to pay for J.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
FWIW, I was on AC 049 YVR -> KOA on Feb 20, and it was an XMd 767. Only found out as I stepped on the plane, and made me wish I had upgraded to J!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
FWIW, I was on AC 049 YVR -> KOA on Feb 20, and it was an XMd 767. Only found out as I stepped on the plane, and made me wish I had upgraded to J!
Well maybe I will get lucky, although the Conceirge told me today that it was looking to be a non XMd on Friday.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:40 pm

Flying YVR - OGG on Friday using my almost expired SSWU. While I'd be over the moon if the flight had the pods I'm not overly fussed about the IFE. I'm happy with the extra room to stretch out and hopefully some decent service.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:05 pm

Thank you everyone, now I don't feel so bad. Yep, don't mind the domestic J just want to have a clean and not ratty interior for the flights. I don't even mind without the AVOD, although that would be a treat.

And like, Mauricio23, we got lucky on our return last year, xm'd 767 and it was reaaaaaaaally nice. Loved the last two single side seats 7 & 8. It was perfect for my hubbie & I. The "wall" between is not that high and it gives just enough privacy if you want or low enough to talk over. The only thing that was kind of strange was I'd get a shock plugging my ipod into the AVOD system. Wasn't so bad because the movies were pretty good on the AVOD.

Would be nice fr the xm'd to Hawaii all the time but I'll be happy with a clean & functional non-xm.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:13 pm

Once again....

YVRHNL is XM only on Saturdays.
YVROGG is XM all days except Saturday.
YVRKOA is always XM
YYCHNL/OGG are always non-XM

And, once again... the non-XM aircraft have new interiors throughout, minus PTVs. J features a basic domestic J seat.

They are not "ratty", they're not even the oldest 763s in the fleet, and they will get you where you need to go and a fare that (hopefully) works for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.