Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by YWG-RO
Come on AC, put these non-XM 763s on your charter routes to Mexico and the Carib destinations (and / or give away "Y+" to your SE/E). $1500 OW for J (Y+) on a non-XM 763 to OGG is crazy. You've raised the bar with your domestic and int'l product, consistency is key.

And Hawaii is not a charter run? The J service on these aircraft is the same as the J service on a narrow body Airbus or Embraer for the most part. It is a transborder route, so you get transborder seating, not intercontinental seating. Hawaii is not a premium market so why should AC market a premium product? UA flies its domestic 777s and 763s to Hawaii and nobody down there expects to get an internationally configured airplane, so why do you expect AC to put one on for the majority of its customers who couldn't give a damn. They're after the cheapest seat to Hawaii. AC knows this and wisely has a few aircraft it can assign to these vacation runs.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mkjr
sorry, but AC does not charge extra for the XM'd planes that do show up on this route on certain days. so yes, IMO they should improve them since it is hurting the brand they try to promote...or they should HEAVILY discount any J in the same since its a joke.
It's sold as transborder J and that's what it is. If you happen to get an aircraft change, then you've lucked out. However, this doesn't happen very often so why even raise it? This is not hurting AC's brand in the least because it is not advertising anything more than it's selling. The vast majority of customers on these flights haven't a clue about sleeper bed seating of even inseat TVs. They want the cheapest fare to get to the islands.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YWG-RO

Come on AC, put these non-XM 763s on your charter routes to Mexico and the Carib destinations (and / or give away "Y+" to your SE/E). $1500 OW for J (Y+) on a non-XM 763 to OGG is crazy. You've raised the bar with your domestic and int'l product, consistency is key.
Technically these are not charter routes to Mexico or the Caribbean. In addition to AC Vacations having the capacity to book holiday packages, these are seasonal scheduled flights which can be booked one way or return on line and through Airline CRS's. As pointed out in previous posts, 90% of premium travel from North America is flown on domestically configured aircraft be it on AA, DL, NW, HA, AS or US.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And Hawaii is not a charter run? The J service on these aircraft is the same as the J service on a narrow body Airbus or Embraer for the most part. It is a transborder route, so you get transborder seating, not intercontinental seating. Hawaii is not a premium market so why should AC market a premium product? UA flies its domestic 777s and 763s to Hawaii and nobody down there expects to get an internationally configured airplane, so why do you expect AC to put one on for the majority of its customers who couldn't give a damn. They're after the cheapest seat to Hawaii. AC knows this and wisely has a few aircraft it can assign to these vacation runs.
Its not just an issue of J (though, since when does transborder J have no AVOD?)

The Y product on these sh!++y, clapped out planes is substandard to the rest of the system. Why do AC's numerous FL routes get a far better product? They're hardly "high yield" and they're far shorter.

Last edited by LeSabre74; Feb 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Angry Whine complain whine bit*ch

BLA BLA BLA.......... its domestic flight get over it! It offers a domestic/Trans J seat!
If J is not worth the money why are you buying it? Y is for sale buy that!
Amazing the amount of .....ing for a Trans-Border flight, when none of the competition has anything better.
Obviously of the competitiong had something better you would be flying their business seat.

Fly WorstJet and stop in SFO and refuel
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The Y product on these sh!++y, clapped out planes is substandard to the rest of the system. Why do AC's numerous FL routes get a far better product? They're hardly "high yield" and they're far shorter.
The only difference is the lack of AVOD. The interior, the seats, the pitch are all the same as the rest of the 763 fleet.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac-YUL
The only difference is the lack of AVOD. The interior, the seats, the pitch are all the same as the rest of the 763 fleet.
In Y. Not in J I would think?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
BLA BLA BLA.......... its domestic flight get over it! It offers a domestic/Trans J seat!
If J is not worth the money why are you buying it? Y is for sale buy that!
Amazing the amount of .....ing for a Trans-Border flight, when none of the competition has anything better.
Obviously of the competitiong had something better you would be flying their business seat.

Fly WorstJet and stop in SFO and refuel
Sure. OTOH, I don't really need to fly to Hawaii. If I don't (1) get a good deal and (2) get there comfortably, there are other destinations for me to consider.

Issue not being one of blaming; I do understand AC's rationale. But then I have mine too. That mine will have zero impact on AC's bottom line seems obvious too. So, good plan for AC. But as far as I am concerned, no interest. Fair enough?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
If I was flying AC for the first time on this route and flew on a non-XM'd a/c, I would likely assume the entire fleet is like this and would not consider them on other flights where I may be willing to spend more to get a J seat or at least a PTV. IMO, the J seats are not comparable to domestic J.

They do however make it clear that this route is serviced by a non XM'd a/c, so pax have been warned.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:15 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=shore9;13450460]If I was flying AC for the first time on this route and flew on a non-XM'd a/c, I would likely assume the entire fleet is like this and would not consider them on other flights where I may be willing to spend more to get a J seat or at least a PTV. IMO, the J seats are not comparable to domestic J.
QUOTE]

Then you would have the same problem with SQ CX LH CO UA EK NZ QA, so perhaps you need to fly more...
IN EVERY CASE those airlines have MORE mismatch than AC!

Oh and the seats are from DOMESTIC J! so how they cant compare is ???????????????????????????? they are DOMESTIC J seats, from 2 years ago.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
The product is not consistent

IMO the in-flight experience transborder is much better on any other aircraft that AC flies compared to non-XM 763, except the CRJ & Dash-8. YVR-HI is a 6 hour flight, longer than most (if not all) of AC's other transborder or Canada-Mexico routes and comparable to northern South America. I believe that YVR-HI is similar to YHZ-LHR in length. I understand why many seasoned FFs attempt to get an XM WB on domestic repositioning flights between YYZ and YVR.

Last summer I purchased 3 discounted J tickets for nearly $7800 YWG-OGG. At that time the equipment (for Jan 2010) was advertised as XM 763. This changed in October, but at least we had an XM 763 on our return trip. I did not complain (or whine) to AC, but there were several unimpressed fellow J passengers on the outbound flight.

I have decided to give the majority of my business and leisure travel to AC. I am generally very happy with their product and service. They are heads and tails above other NA carries (the new DL comes to mind). I look forward to the arrival of the 787s and the retirement of the non-XM 763s. AC will benefit from a consistent in-flight product on all mainline aircraft.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:07 pm
Suspended

the NON XM are perfct planes for AC to use for HNL its keeps them competitive with other airlines... lets hope they wont waste the new 787 on a transboarder flight.

AC can use some of these high capacity planes for some of these routes. And even Cancun's and some low fare Europe destinations.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shore9
If I was flying AC for the first time on this route and flew on a non-XM'd a/c, I would likely assume the entire fleet is like this and would not consider them on other flights where I may be willing to spend more to get a J seat or at least a PTV. IMO, the J seats are not comparable to domestic J.
You would likely assume that would you, eh?

So if I fly SQ F on PVGSIN and it's the old F, I should assume their First Suites suck too? How about TG F? Or OZ F? If I get the old aircraft and the old F, does that mean F sucks and the carriers are crap?

Or are the carriers great and this is an exception... because they aren't AC?

You need to get out a little more.

Last edited by YOWkid; Feb 23, 2010 at 9:35 pm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:38 pm
Suspended

WELL said......^ YOW Crazy to think 3 planes make such a difference.. when other airlines have complete fleets of mismatched planes.. I think UA will take over 4 years to convert to lay flat SQ is going to be 3years. TG is FOREVER OH and SQ has domestic and international business seats.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Won't the introduction of the 787 allow for retirement of non-XM 763s? I'd guess that AC will retire these before the refurbed 763s.

Or, is AC planning to use 787s purely for expansion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.