Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Just got back from a trip to Honolulu and was surprised to see that the planes they used were the old 763's without the upgraded equipment and seating. It was very disappointing to find myself riding in J class on a 5 hour red-eye flight in old seats that don't recline fully and no VOD. The flight attendants indicated that these planes had just been put back into service.

Be aware that the aircraft information on the Air Canada booking site shows these planes as having new cabin interiors. However, when you get to the point of booking seating assignments you will see the old 2-2-2 seating set up rather than the 1 -2 for updated 763s.

I don't think it's appropriate that Air Canada charges a premium price for such an outdated product - they obviously think J class passengers on this route will settle for less. If your flying this route you might want to look at other options.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE100k, AC 2MM,
I agree. I was on the same flight and in Exec class. My wife kept asking me why paid for these expensive seats when the aircraft was so old and without the new systems.

The equipment was not in great repair. During the flight, the exec class lavatory door fell right off and it took three or four attendents to get it back on.

Come on AC. You can do better -- otherwise, passengers will take the easy alternatives offered by other airlines on the same routes.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:36 am

How old are they?
HPD first flight 1991
HPF first flight 1993
HPH first flight 2003

Go here and click on the c/n column to the left for details.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:37 am

i was told by a SD they are leased equiptment and therefore cannot modify them.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
They've modified lots of leased equipment. The lease terms, aircraft age, and the fact that they want to ditch these aircraft ASAP, means an investment in new interior is not likely practical or cost-effective.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Air Canada leases more than 3 of their 763's according to their annual report.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: AC E
If I am not mistaken, these 3 763s have 4 doors (not 2 plus overwing exits) each side, so the modified configuration would not work.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:44 am

I didn't think they were charging much of a premium for these flights. No?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
These aircraft are equipped with 6 cabin doors and 2 emergency exits - we generally refer to them as the 8 door aircraft. Logistical problems with the XM project and retrofit on these unique aircraft, the fact that they will probably be the first 763's to go wouldn't make sense for the refurbishment. They never in fact left the fleet, but were cleaned up and reconfigured to 24J/223Y. The extensive delay of the 787's probably factored in as well regarding their extended stay. It is also allowing the company to expolit new seasonal route opportunities to lower yielding markets like ATH & BCN this coming summer.

In flying the 763 XM'd aircraft, we've all tasted the proverbial forbidden fruit -who wouldn't prefer to fly this aircraft? The seating layout is very consistent with industry standard on airlines serving Hawaii from North America. With the possible exception of CO - Alaska, American, Delta, Hawaii, United & US Air all serve Hawaiian markets with non-internationally configured aircraft, sold as First Class, and have seat pitches ranging from 36" to 42" in a marketed higher class of service above Air Canada "J". I usually burn my AP points to fly to Hawaii on UA, and have never had a sleeper seat/suite on any flight to HNL or OGG.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:51 am

Many US carriers use domestic first class seats on the Hawaii service. In 2006 I had a 9 hour red-eye fron HNL to Atlanta in a 767-400 with the domestic seat and no leg/foot rest. In first class they served wine that probably cost them $2 a bottle and in plastic cups.

Often the US carriers that do use the international business class seat do not have true business meal service.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:57 pm

i understand to many carriers operating in North America, Haiwaii is just their extended state....so its considered domestic that service standard (be it food or seat) is used.

as for the Air NZ lease...dont shoot the messenger...i am just relaying the message from the SD i chatted with yesterday
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, AC 2MM,
Originally Posted by getaround
I didn't think they were charging much of a premium for these flights. No?
I purchased my tickets more than 30 days in advance. Even then, the J fare was fully-loaded. There was no discount on this fare and the premium for Exec class was high. As someone who was a revenue passenger on this flight - I was diappointed.

Every seat was sold out on this flight -- so it is unlikely that headoffice will know what a bad decision it was to run these aircraft.

The service team was wonderful (especially when they were able to fix the door to the business class lavatory that fell off during the flight) but unfortunately the equipment was not up to the crew.

I have been doing this route in January for nearly 10 years. Based on the aircraft, for the first time I would seriously consider moving my revenue business and taking Westjet next time.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mike2Fly
Just got back from a trip to Honolulu and was surprised to see that the planes they used were the old 763's without the upgraded equipment and seating. It was very disappointing to find myself riding in J class on a 5 hour red-eye flight in old seats that don't recline fully and no VOD. The flight attendants indicated that these planes had just been put back into service.

Be aware that the aircraft information on the Air Canada booking site shows these planes as having new cabin interiors. However, when you get to the point of booking seating assignments you will see the old 2-2-2 seating set up rather than the 1 -2 for updated 763s.

I don't think it's appropriate that Air Canada charges a premium price for such an outdated product - they obviously think J class passengers on this route will settle for less. If your flying this route you might want to look at other options.
Ridiculous.
Love it when people get on here slamming service they knew nothing about and then claim the airline should offer better service when they have the same lack of knowledge of those other carriers??
I've flown most airlines to Hawaii . . . NW 753s = UA 777s = DL 763s = AC 767s.
I'm thinking the premium AC charged you to Hawaii had more to do with holiday demand than the interior of their aircraft
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I had a confirmed UG on this old equipment, HNL-YVR, a week or so back. I decided to cancel the segment and instead paid for a real first class seat KOA-SEA-YVR on Alaska Airlines. The price difference between AC's latitude and Alaska's first class was insignificant. It was a win-win. I got a big, comfy, reclinable seat on both legs (with handheld video on demand) AND I didn't have to endure a red-eye.

This would have been a tougher choice to make if my husband and I hadn't already qualified for Elite by this point, but since it's such a huge stretch between 35K and 100K, this choice was easy.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Can someone shed some light here - are these not the three a/c that are slated for non-pod J XM, if they haven't been XM'd already? I'm referring to the ones that will be used for YVR/YYC-OGG/HNL as well as DUB, BCN, ATH and a some other routes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.