Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:30 am
B1

Some relief

New York Times, Dec 28
"Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong-based carrier with direct flights to New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, said U.S. authorities had stopped requiring airlines to black out the route-tracking channel on their in-flight entertainment systems.

International travelers also had been told that they could not leave their seats for the last hour of a flight, during which time they also could not use a pillow or blanket. But that requirement was slightly revised, according to a Cathay official, Carolyn Leung.

“The latest version indicates more generally that carriers must ensure that passengers remain in their assigned seats when directed by the flight crew,” Ms. Leung said Monday in Hong Kong. She also said no air marshals were being added to Cathay’s flights to the United States.""
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Klockman
Don't recall this being posted earlier, but is it OK if we sleep during the last hour?

Everyone will be given an injection of something that will knock them out for the final hour of the flight...the idiocy and absurdity of anal retentive bureaucrats never ceases to amaze! As one security expect on MSNBC noted, all this loses the point that the system broke down when he was allowed to get onto an airplane, either in Lagos or AMS, with all the red flags he should have set off.

Guess all those folks who use their Amazon and Sony "books" are going to have to resort to paper...and our ears will be buzzing for the last hour as we must also remove NR headphones.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I do find it somewhat ironic that there are several threads on the AC forum about this matter and many hundreds of posts, but over on the KLM forum a single thread! (about transiting at AMS for US flights). And it was KLM that sold the ticket, boarded him in Nigeria, etc.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
What % of KL FF are impacted vs AC?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan
CBC this morning is reporting only 1 carryon with no wheels.

I haven't seen mention of no wheels anywhere here so don't know if it is a charter/US airline's rule (they were reporting from YYZ T3) or if it was something a screener said to them.

Passengers are only allowed to carry one bag aboard the plane, and anything with wheels must be checked-in. The new security rules for U.S.-bound trips include two hand-screenings of carry-on bags, and all passengers get a pat-down from security officials before they can board.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...rt-delays.html
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada

I haven't seen mention of no wheels anywhere here so don't know if it is a charter/US airline's rule (they were reporting from YYZ T3) or if it was something a screener said to them.

The reporter also said that Terminal 3 is where "most" of the USA flights leave from!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I do find it somewhat ironic that there are several threads on the AC forum about this matter and many hundreds of posts, but over on the KLM forum a single thread! (about transiting at AMS for US flights). And it was KLM that sold the ticket, boarded him in Nigeria, etc.
Where is the irony? I don't know the exact numbers but would bet there are 10x+++ more AC flights effected than KLM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:43 am

The no wheels statement does make sense. AC and WJ have said only one personal carry-on item. Larger carry-ons are almost all wheeled so this just simplifies the instructions to the general masses who don't know what a personal carry-on item means.

Large backpacks are not wheeled and prohibited but they are rarer than rollerboards so this covers most of the banned items.

Last edited by SensFan; Dec 28, 2009 at 7:45 am Reason: Poo, now I see that this report is from T3.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
I posted my YVR experience this morning here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13066219-post45.html
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by sing-along
The following is a link to TSA's website.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/dec25_guidance.shtm

Cheers
Holy Freedom of Information act Batman!

So the TSA is basically telling everyone that all they are doing is ramping up what they were already doing. That'll keep everyone safe...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SensFan
The no wheels statement does make sense. AC and WJ have said only one personal carry-on item.
This is from the AC advisory:

Customers from Canada to the United States are limited to one personal carry-on item (such as a purse, computer bag, diaper bag or small backpack).
There is no mention of wheels.

My smallest computer bag (which is 16"x9"x13" when full) has wheels. A personal item, as defined by AC is 17"x6"x13" and my bag can be only 6" deep if I don't put anything in the outside pockets but it has wheels. If they aren't allowing wheels, why doesn't the AC website explain that (or for that matter, why doesn't the advisory say what is considered a personal item referring to size - my purse is 4" x 8" x 1" for instance but I know women who have much larger purses.

I have a back condition and can't carry my computer bag(or a large purse!) any distance - and yes, I need my computer for my job on the road. So the lack of wheels will be an issue for me if the new rules are extended passed Jan 13. That trip is: YOW-SFO-EWR-DEL-FRA-LHR-CPH-FRA-YHZ-YOW. While I can check two bags for YOW-SF0, after that I'll be limited to 1 bag of 20kg on many of the flights. Not to mention that I'm packing for 2 climates during this month long trip (India and Northern Europe in Winter). It is trips like this during unsettled security procedures that make me totally hate my life.

Thankfully, I have the Tilley expedition jacket with gazillion pockets so will use that on the plane to keep everything I need close at hand.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
No because they are fixated with punishing the innocent bystanders for the failure of the so-called professionals: it was the US state department that gave him a visa to enter the US (and despite being on a watch list), it was the airline employees who sold him a one-way ticket for cash (and despite having no checked bag), it was lax security at AMS for flights connecting from suspect countries known for lax security and easily bribed airport staff...
Visa was issued in 2008 with validity through mid-2010, long before he was on any watch list so. (Although I do not understand why a multiple entry visa is issued to a then 21 year old young guy with no job!) They could have technically banned him or pulled his visa, however his case was in the beginning stages of reviews and even then, he could probably get on the plane and land on US soil before being deported etc. Yes, US Intelligence dropped the ball but this doesn't negate the fact the current state of airport security leaves gaping holes for any potential bad guy to get through with unpleasant material.

Last edited by payam81; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by CPwingwalker
Agree completely that Israel has got it right all along. But one dirty little word -- the secret perhaps to their success -- was not mentioned ... they PROFILE all passengers. Yes, folks it works but the timid politicos of the west won't go there.

Agree also with the earlier post that the real issue is the FAILURE OF US DIPLOMATS to properly react to information given by the accused's own father -- if that is not intelligence on a silver platter then I dont know what is. So a little paperwork slipup in Lagos is met with complete over-reaction by US and Canadian officialdom ever-mindful to divert attention from the real FAILURE.
EL Al is a relatively small airline with 37 planes and 45 destinations. Try doing that with a real major airline. US diplomats did pass the info to the appropriate agency however at that point this case wasn't deemed urgent because it wasn't on any solid facts other than the dad feeling he might be up to no good.

BTW, profiling doesn't work because once you establish a profile then you've made yourself a target. Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated by a right wing Israeli. So much for the profile. Last I checked there wasn't a shortage of White American/European Talibans including a documented case of a White European female suicide bomber!

Last edited by payam81; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:45 am
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AC E
This is from the AC advisory:

There is no mention of wheels.
The following is in one of AC's many advisories over the past few days: "effective Sunday, December 27, and until further notice, carry-on baggage will be restricted to one personal item (purse, computer bag, diaper bag, brief case or small backpack). All other items (roller bags, large backpacks, etc) must be checked-in."

I read that as applying to a regular sized carry-on with wheels, but given all the confusion that surrounds this whole situation, it could be interpreted many different ways. All the AC issued advisories can be found at
http://micro.newswire.ca/13213-0.html
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by payam81
Yes, US Intelligence dropped the ball but this doesn't negate the fact the current state of airport security leaves gaping holes for any potential bad guy to get through with unpleasant material.
And the recent TSA knee-jerk reaction doesn't eliminate those holes, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.