Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by fishz
An update on my experience over the last 24 hours or so. I was refused boarding in Johannesburg since the Netherlands told all airlines that they would not accept any non-EU arrivals. This was literally minutes before I tried to do my bag drop. Turkish Airlines did a FANTASTIC job at the airport and rebooked me from Istanbul directly to the UK. I was unable to buy such a routing the night before. It took hours, but the Turkish Airlines staff were exceptional at JNB.

I managed to board with the old (now invalid) passenger locator form because I had trouble completing a new one with my new routing. I've updated that after arriving but on arrival, the e-gates wouldn't let me in and I was directed to a human border official. They took the details of my actual flight and asked me if I knew that I need to quarantine. On arriving home, there was a PCR test waiting for me. I'll only look at that tomorrow but it's quite impressive and must have been done on the basis of my original planned itinerary and locator form. Overall, there seems to be a little more joined up thinking than I'd have given them credit for.

I saw grown men in tears in Johannesburg when they discovered that they couldn't get tickets to leave. One lady managed to secure a tricky routing with multiple airlines/tickets in order to get to the UK for her mother's funeral. My own family are all now pretty broken up about the expected cancellation of our family Christmas together. I recognise that doing nothing isn't a political option, but I really hope that our elected leaders/servants understand the human suffering these decisions cause.
It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they don't ban travel and Omicron ends up being more transmissible/vaccine-escaping/dangerous, the blame for the amount of suffering breaking out domestically would be squarely placed on the politicians who did NOT enact a ban. The best case scenario here is a pre-emptive ban while hopefully we know before Christmas what the deal with this new variant is (w.r.t transmission/disease presentation/vaccine effectiveness) and then measures can be relaxed should it turn out to be no big deal. For those that have travel booked before then it most definitely sucks. a lot. and my heart goes out to everyone who's been waiting for 2 years to finally travel again, did everything right by being vaccinated and keeping everyone safe, and now having those hopes crushed at the last second.
thijsseh, T8191, mpkz and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they don't ban travel and Omicron ends up being more transmissible/vaccine-escaping/dangerous, the blame for the amount of suffering breaking out domestically would be squarely placed on the politicians who did NOT enact a ban. The best case scenario here is a pre-emptive ban while hopefully we know before Christmas what the deal with this new variant is (w.r.t transmission/disease presentation/vaccine effectiveness) and then measures can be relaxed should it turn out to be no big deal. For those that have travel booked before then it most definitely sucks. a lot. and my heart goes out to everyone who's been waiting for 2 years to finally travel again, did everything right by being vaccinated and keeping everyone safe, and now having those hopes crushed at the last second.
Very well put. I understand the immediate and dramatic measures put into place (e.g., plane from CPT landed at AMS, held on tarmac while all passengers were tested, and held on plane while waiting for results). What I don't understand are the half-measures, such as the U.S., which announced that it will impose restrictions starting Monday and not applicable to U.S. residents. What's that going to accomplish?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by anabolism
What I don't understand are the half-measures, such as the U.S., which announced that it will impose restrictions starting Monday and not applicable to U.S. residents. What's that going to accomplish?
I don't think the US government has the power to stop their citizens from leaving the country, and they certainly don't have the power to deny entry to US citizens. The steps they've enacted are pretty much all they can do.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I don't think the US government has the power to stop their citizens from leaving the country, and they certainly don't have the power to deny entry to US citizens. The steps they've enacted are pretty much all they can do.
They can't do either, but they can impose quarantine, as they did at the start of the pandemic. They could have, for example, required a short three-day quarantine and testing. That wouldn't be foolproof of course, but it would undoubtedly catch more positive cases than just a test 24 hours before the flight.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
They can't do either, but they can impose quarantine, as they did at the start of the pandemic. They could have, for example, required a short three-day quarantine and testing. That wouldn't be foolproof of course, but it would undoubtedly catch more positive cases than just a test 24 hours before the flight.
The problem with that is likely that it'd be up to individual states to enforce that - and roughly half the states would most likely refuse, making it a rather pointless exercise.

Best would be an additional test taken right when they leave the airplane, while it's still in federal jurisdiction. It still wouldn't force quarantine, but MAYBE if people got a message 24hrs after arrival that said they tested positive, they'd self-isolate........ Maybe. This IS the US were talking about here though.... Anyway, all speculation. A great many things will change in the next month.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The problem with that is likely that it'd be up to individual states to enforce that - and roughly half the states would most likely refuse, making it a rather pointless exercise.

Best would be an additional test taken right when they leave the airplane, while it's still in federal jurisdiction. It still wouldn't force quarantine, but MAYBE if people got a message 24hrs after arrival that said they tested positive, they'd self-isolate........ Maybe. This IS the US were talking about here though.... Anyway, all speculation. A great many things will change in the next month.
It would have to be a federal program, as it was at the very beginning when they were busing people to quarantine facilities. The whole point of the restrictions being imposed now is to slow the arrival of the new variant into the US, to buy time to put contingency plans into place if the variant has high immune escape. The less effective the restrictions, the less time the measures buy.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:57 pm

It would have to be a federal program, as it was at the very beginning when they were busing people to quarantine facilities. The whole point of the restrictions being imposed now is to slow the arrival of the new variant into the US, to buy time to put contingency plans into place if the variant has high immune escape. The less effective the restrictions, the less time the measures buy.
I disagree with your comment about imposing restrictions to buy time. Not sure what contingency plans they will put into place if the variant has high immune escape. It’s just back to the drawing board again where it will takes months for a modified vaccine and then months before enough folks get boosted. By that point, the variant would probably have done its damage. They’ll make you believe that the restrictions serve a greater purpose, but IMO, all the politicians are doing are covering their own backsides to show that they took decisive preemptive action. If they were really trying to buy time, then they would also be instituting bans on countries where the new variant is currently being detected. Until such time, it’s just for show. Just like the old ban. Why was a country like China kept on the banned list when they brought the virus under control way back in early 2020?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This thread is for the logistics and rules of entering South Africa. The debate about the optimal Covid policy and hypothetical US strategies is off-topic for the thread.
Please stay on topic.

/mod
jsnydcsa, LETTERBOY and cheltzel like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:27 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
United is still operating their flights from Newark, flying this Tuesday nov 30 and the flight looks full so I imagine they will keep running them. UA is supposed to fly to CPT in December, I could see them cancelling those flights. I will keep and eye on it and post if I notice they do.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:27 pm

Options to avoid hotel quarantine

Scratching our heads here in CPT about ways to avoid the dreaded hotel quarantine issue, if we were to fly to LHR and transit back to Dubai and go through the UAE test and trace procedure etc - would they wear that if we were PCR clear prior to departure ?? Got to be better than a LHR hotel box ..
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by stuarto
Scratching our heads here in CPT about ways to avoid the dreaded hotel quarantine issue, if we were to fly to LHR and transit back to Dubai and go through the UAE test and trace procedure etc - would they wear that if we were PCR clear prior to departure ?? Got to be better than a LHR hotel box ..
Your plan unfortunately will not work since as of 29 November UAE will not allow travellers originating or transiting from seven African countries including South Africa. In order to avoid hotel quarantine in the UK you will have to find a country which allows travellers from South Africa.

https://www.timeoutdubai.com/news/ua...ican-countries

Moderator Note:
Please note this thread is about the restrictions and rules for travellers entering South Africa. Let’s keep the thread focused so it remains a useful source of information for those entering South Africa. Perhaps someone might like to start a thread listing countries which restrict travellers from South Africa due to the outbreak of a new coronavirus variant.
jsnydcsa likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Just this is a thread on entering. I arrived Saturday and had no issues from the UK. Just checked my PCR test was valid.
SanDiego1K and jsnydcsa like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:22 am

To confirm, SA is currently still requiring inbound pax to have negative PCR within 72 hours of departure to SA. Correct?

I know outbound pax may also require PCR before departure from SA. SA is still requiring that as well. Correct? (In the case of the outbound to the USA, the USA is now requiring it to be within 24 hours of departure).
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:31 am

I have started a thread to list countries restricting arrivals from South Africa and neighbouring countries due to the outbreak of the new Omicron variant of Covid. The thread may also be used to discuss any alternative routing and stopover options to avoid quarantining at the destination.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afri...er-2021-a.html
T8191, konagirl2, HGOLI and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
To confirm, SA is currently still requiring inbound pax to have negative PCR within 72 hours of departure to SA. Correct?

I know outbound pax may also require PCR before departure from SA. SA is still requiring that as well. Correct? (In the case of the outbound to the USA, the USA is now requiring it to be within 24 hours of departure).
The PCR on EXIT is a requirement of the destination or transit locations. SA does not require it.
B747-437B, jsnydcsa and HGOLI like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.