Search

Zimbabwe currency situation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Is this really a thing? Zambia isn't listed on the CDC list for yellow fever.
That list is somewhat meaningless. If you are traveling around Africa, ALWAYS carry your yellow fever certificate. Governments and airports and border officials can decide on a whim to request it or not.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Funnily enough i’ve Just had it out with my GP about the exact thing- she was quite insistent Mr pants needed yellow fever vaccine for South Africa (only). And not even because the Africans might demand it, but because “Australia won’t let you back in”. Um, denying entry to Australia to an Australian citizen due to lack of a vaccine for a disease that isn’t even prevalent in South Africa...

unfortunately it’s a nice money spinner for GPs here so they push it quite hard

also unfortunately more western tourists die from the vaccine than the disease these days so I am seriously unimpressed with them!!

/rant off
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting thread. We visit SA (only) every year, and Yellow Fever has never been mentioned.

Should we be worried, and write a [lovely] country off our list?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting thread. We visit SA (only) every year, and Yellow Fever has never been mentioned.

Should we be worried, and write another [lovely] country off our list?
in my professional opinion (tropical diseases is kind of my thing!), if it is recommended i’d get a second opinion from elsewhere (yellow fever vaccine is only given in designated practices which is meant to eliminate all this nonsense, however I was initially recommended it for a trip to Japan (!!) from the UK and now this latest idiocy)

South Africa is not (and to the best of my knowledge has never been) a YF risk area

i ended up having it for west Africa which is absolutely fair enough
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a rather extensive thread in this forum on Yellow Fever Yellow Fever Vaccination - Requirements for Africa

But as to South Africa, the general point is not that you need the vaccine for South Africa, rather that the South African government can request that you present your vaccine certificate if you fly into their country from one of the risk areas. For instance I have flown NBO-JNB many times and I often have to show my cert upon arrival. But if I fly LHR or CDG to JNB, I do not. But what if your CDG-JNB flight is diverted to a place like NBO and you have to continue on a KQ flight to JNB? Or what if you change your plans and take a side trip? Or what if some silly officer at JNB decides to screen everyone from LHR for YF? This is why it is always best to have the cert with you at all times when traveling around Africa.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something else for me to worry about [slightly]. Thanks for the inputs.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:18 am

OT/

this is the beauty of flying QF, it’s not gonna divert anywhere that far north!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by T8191
Something else for me to worry about [slightly]. Thanks for the inputs.
Seriously, you should not worry about this. You won’t be asked for a certificate unless you are arriving from a YF area - and even then it is far from a certainty. So if your biggest risk is your aircraft being diverted to a country on the YF list, you really can sleep easy.
Stewie Mac, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, either UK-CPT or UK-DOH-CPT. We avoid the difficult bits at our age!!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
But what if your CDG-JNB flight is diverted to a place like NBO and you have to continue on a KQ flight to JNB?
KQ checks YF certificates upon boarding (as applicable), if you never left the airport you won't have any issue, I've never had anyone asking me for YF upon landing on a KQ flight in ZA
Or what if some silly officer at JNB decides to screen everyone from LHR for YF? This is why it is always best to have the cert with you at all times when traveling around Africa.
Then he wants a R100 bribe and off you go
Obviously if you have a YF certificate take it with you, but there is no need to vaccinate yourself unnecessarily.
Stewie Mac and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
KQ checks YF certificates upon boarding (as applicable), if you never left the airport you won't have any issue, I've never had anyone asking me for YF upon landing on a KQ flight in ZA.
If true, that must be relatively new. My experience with both KQ and SA from EBB is different.

Then he wants a R100 bribe and off you go
Obviously if you have a YF certificate take it with you, but there is no need to vaccinate yourself unnecessarily.
No, there have been reports here over the years of random YF checks where it makes no sense. You either produce your card or you go to the airport clinic and pay a lot to get jabbed. A rare occurrence to be sure, but it has been reported.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:00 am

If true, that must be relatively new. My experience with both KQ and SA from EBB is different.
Been consistently that way the last ~4 years, usually around 2-3 times a year (some just connecting some actually spending time in NBO), if you only connect in NBO they'll just stamp your BP otherwise they'll ask for your YF certificate

No, there have been reports here over the years of random YF checks where it makes no sense. You either produce your card or you go to the airport clinic and pay a lot to get jabbed. A rare occurrence to be sure, but it has been reported.
Yes, like said they want a "bribe", so by all means carry your certificate with you if you have one.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by nancypants

i will follow this and update if no word in the next few weeks, I fly into LVI and out of VFA in around 2.5 weeks time...
How did your trip work out?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:47 am

Ok well. I think the situation is very much in flux and the country is somewhat depressing at the moment. Everyone seems to have an exit plan which is not something I have ever experienced in other countries. The begging and humbug are also worse than I have ever experienced in Africa (and I have worked extensively in west Africa so not just talking as a casual observer)

-USD are accepted everywhere, ZAR to a lesser extent although the exchange rate when taken was about right
-prices are almost exclusively in USD, some restaurants have a Z$ menu but they state “local ID required”, not sure if it is enforced
-however you burn through currency extremely quickly as obviously things are priced to liberate hard currency from those that have it
-my (Australian) card would not work anywhere in zimbabwe
-there is an occasional need to have Zimbabwean dollar/bond notes- eg I bought a SIM card, price was Z$1 but if you don’t have Z$ they will take USD at a 1:1 exchange rate (official exchange rate is more like 5-6:1 but apparently this 1:1 is government policy to prevent dual pricing). Similar experience in the supermarket buying bottled water
-however Z$/ bond notes are extremely hard to get hold of- none of the banks would sell me any and when I asked around for somewhere I could exchange some no information was forthcoming. Not sure if the trade is being clamped down on. I got the impression the lodge I stayed in may have been willing to help with small amounts if i’d pursued it but I decided it was too much hassle. The security guard at the mobile phone shop disappeared with a US$5 note and came back to me with Z$30 which didn’t seem outrageous, however he was easily gone for 30 minutes and there wasn’t any real guarantee he would return or if he did wouldn’t pocket half for himself so less than ideal there
-I asked if there were limits on export of Z$, was told no, no one asked at the airport and beyond those usual kind of signs saying amounts greater than $10000 US or whatever must be declared there was no interest really

also whoever asked about the trillion dollar notes- they’re actually worth a fair bit these days. You will be approached continuously by bumsters trying to sell you notes up to around twenty billion. But I had to search quite hard to get a 10 trillion dollars and was unable to find anything higher

hope this helps!

nb I also gather the situation in VFA is quite different from elsewhere. I cancelled my planned trip to Bulawayo in part because of the issues getting bond notes- the train is priced in bond and the internal airlines are massively unreliable (I think air zimbabwe is currently running more of a schedule than fastjet which tells a story)
T8191 and The_Bouncer like this.

Last edited by nancypants; Aug 4, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Many thanks for the update. I think in the light of this, I am likely to stay on the Zambian side with just a day trip over the border to the other side of the falls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.