FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Zimbabwe currency situation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1977108-zimbabwe-currency-situation.html)

The_Bouncer Jul 7, 2019 8:48 am

Zimbabwe currency situation

Following the news that Zimbabwe is relaunching their own currency and outlawing the use of USD, ZAR & GBP for local transactions, does anyone have any information on the current situation on the ground?

I am planning a trip to VFA in January.

nancypants Jul 7, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31278100)
Following the news that Zimbabwe is relaunching their own currency and outlawing the use of USD, ZAR & GBP for local transactions, does anyone have any information on the current situation on the ground?

I am planning a trip to VFA in January.

i will follow this and update if no word in the next few weeks, I fly into LVI and out of VFA in around 2.5 weeks time...

The_Bouncer Jul 7, 2019 9:34 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31278106)

i will follow this and update if no word in the next few weeks, I fly into LVI and out of VFA in around 2.5 weeks time...

I have the reverse planned - into VFA and out of LVI.

I would be interested to know your experience.

GetSetJetSet Jul 7, 2019 10:20 am

Will my Hundred Billion Dollar note be valid again? :)

Internaut Jul 8, 2019 11:38 am

I am guessing you’ll have to bring a lot of USD with you, changing as needed. Potential gotchas:
  • Converting USD to the new currency is probably easy.
  • But not so easy for the reverse conversion.
  • But also bear in mind there may be limits on how much currency you can take out of the country with you.
I only have experience of the dollar economy, and the answer “I’m taking nothing I didn’t bring in with me” usually sufficed when leaving the country (but the friendly people asking that question got to know my face quite well).

nancypants Jul 8, 2019 11:57 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31278298)
Will my Hundred Billion Dollar note be valid again? :)

I kind of hope I can get an epic souvenir like fhat at least

The_Bouncer Jul 8, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 31282063)
I am guessing you’ll have to bring a lot of USD with you, changing as needed. Potential gotchas:
  • Converting USD to the new currency is probably easy.
  • But not so easy for the reverse conversion.
  • But also bear in mind there may be limits on how much currency you can take out of the country with you.
I only have experience of the dollar economy, and the answer “I’m taking nothing I didn’t bring in with me” usually sufficed when leaving the country (but the friendly people asking that question got to know my face quite well).

Ok, so USD cash in small-ish denominations - 10s & 20s?

I will be interested to see how the new currency performs and whether the country manages to avoid a repeat of the hyperinflation previously seen.

Internaut Jul 8, 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31282361)

I will be interested to see how the new currency performs and whether the country manages to avoid a repeat of the hyperinflation previously seen.

I always took 1s, 5s, 10s and 20’s. 1s to give to beggars (the price of a bowl or sadza, I’m told), 5s for tipping and the rest for spending. The new currency possibly changed that. I’d consider some 50s for exchanging. But honestly, you’re probably the first Flyertalker to travel there under the new regime.

Stewie Mac Jul 9, 2019 3:42 am

When I was last there (8 months ago) there was a chronic shortage of money on the streets of all kinds - almost all transactions are by mobile/emoney. I echo Internaut's suggestion of lots of small USD. I just checked with our local guy there and he says that for now nothing has changed at all, everyone on the streets is still using USD, so I think that for nancypants that advice still holds. By January things may have changed considerably for The_Bouncer. I'm down to Lusaka next month and will be meeting with my Zim contact there, so will ask him for the latest situation and update.

GetSetJetSet Jul 9, 2019 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31282135)

I kind of hope I can get an epic souvenir like fhat at least

Keep in mind (at least last time I was there) you can go into VFA without proof of yellow fever shot, but need it for LVI. I was the only one in our group who had the jab, so the others couldn't enter Zambia.

GetSetJetSet Jul 9, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 31282635)

I always took 1s, 5s, 10s and 20’s. 1s to give to beggars (the price of a bowl or sadza, I’m told), 5s for tipping and the rest for spending. The new currency possibly changed that. I’d consider some 50s for exchanging. But honestly, you’re probably the first Flyertalker to travel there under the new regime.

It sounds like you are massively overtipping

Mwenenzi Jul 9, 2019 3:14 pm

BBC link---> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48757080

stimpy Jul 10, 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31282361)

Zim may be a unique case, but in general African traders are not interested in small denomination US currency. Especially a dollar. And they often do not accept older currency that does not have the red ink. I always bring new fresh $50 notes. But I have no idea how this new currency will do in Zim. I hope for the best.

nancypants Jul 10, 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31286564)
Keep in mind (at least last time I was there) you can go into VFA without proof of yellow fever shot, but need it for LVI. I was the only one in our group who had the jab, so the others couldn't enter Zambia.

luckily I am well covered for tropical diseases 😉

JayhawkCO Jul 10, 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31286564)

Is this really a thing? Zambia isn't listed on the CDC list for yellow fever.

Chris