Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Zimbabwe currency situation

Old Jul 7, 19, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards

Following the news that Zimbabwe is relaunching their own currency and outlawing the use of USD, ZAR & GBP for local transactions, does anyone have any information on the current situation on the ground?

I am planning a trip to VFA in January.
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
Following the news that Zimbabwe is relaunching their own currency and outlawing the use of USD, ZAR & GBP for local transactions, does anyone have any information on the current situation on the ground?

I am planning a trip to VFA in January.
i will follow this and update if no word in the next few weeks, I fly into LVI and out of VFA in around 2.5 weeks time...
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

i will follow this and update if no word in the next few weeks, I fly into LVI and out of VFA in around 2.5 weeks time...
I have the reverse planned - into VFA and out of LVI.

I would be interested to know your experience.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: Many
Will my Hundred Billion Dollar note be valid again?
T8191, The_Bouncer and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I am guessing you’ll have to bring a lot of USD with you, changing as needed. Potential gotchas:
  • Converting USD to the new currency is probably easy.
  • But not so easy for the reverse conversion.
  • But also bear in mind there may be limits on how much currency you can take out of the country with you.
I only have experience of the dollar economy, and the answer “I’m taking nothing I didn’t bring in with me” usually sufficed when leaving the country (but the friendly people asking that question got to know my face quite well).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Will my Hundred Billion Dollar note be valid again?
I kind of hope I can get an epic souvenir like fhat at least
Old Jul 8, 19, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
I am guessing youíll have to bring a lot of USD with you, changing as needed. Potential gotchas:
  • Converting USD to the new currency is probably easy.
  • But not so easy for the reverse conversion.
  • But also bear in mind there may be limits on how much currency you can take out of the country with you.
I only have experience of the dollar economy, and the answer ďIím taking nothing I didnít bring in with meĒ usually sufficed when leaving the country (but the friendly people asking that question got to know my face quite well).
Ok, so USD cash in small-ish denominations - 10s & 20s?

I will be interested to see how the new currency performs and whether the country manages to avoid a repeat of the hyperinflation previously seen.
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

I will be interested to see how the new currency performs and whether the country manages to avoid a repeat of the hyperinflation previously seen.
I always took 1s, 5s, 10s and 20ís. 1s to give to beggars (the price of a bowl or sadza, Iím told), 5s for tipping and the rest for spending. The new currency possibly changed that. Iíd consider some 50s for exchanging. But honestly, youíre probably the first Flyertalker to travel there under the new regime.
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
When I was last there (8 months ago) there was a chronic shortage of money on the streets of all kinds - almost all transactions are by mobile/emoney. I echo Internaut's suggestion of lots of small USD. I just checked with our local guy there and he says that for now nothing has changed at all, everyone on the streets is still using USD, so I think that for nancypants that advice still holds. By January things may have changed considerably for The_Bouncer. I'm down to Lusaka next month and will be meeting with my Zim contact there, so will ask him for the latest situation and update.
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post

I kind of hope I can get an epic souvenir like fhat at least
Keep in mind (at least last time I was there) you can go into VFA without proof of yellow fever shot, but need it for LVI. I was the only one in our group who had the jab, so the others couldn't enter Zambia.
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut View Post

I always took 1s, 5s, 10s and 20ís. 1s to give to beggars (the price of a bowl or sadza, Iím told), 5s for tipping and the rest for spending. The new currency possibly changed that. Iíd consider some 50s for exchanging. But honestly, youíre probably the first Flyertalker to travel there under the new regime.
It sounds like you are massively overtipping
Old Jul 9, 19, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BBC link---> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48757080
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Zim may be a unique case, but in general African traders are not interested in small denomination US currency. Especially a dollar. And they often do not accept older currency that does not have the red ink. I always bring new fresh $50 notes. But I have no idea how this new currency will do in Zim. I hope for the best.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:27 am

Keep in mind (at least last time I was there) you can go into VFA without proof of yellow fever shot, but need it for LVI. I was the only one in our group who had the jab, so the others couldn't enter Zambia.
luckily I am well covered for tropical diseases 😉
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Is this really a thing? Zambia isn't listed on the CDC list for yellow fever.

Chris
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread