Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Algiers Airport Transit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by jmail1
I did read that they allow VOA for Americans as of January so this might be moot.
Interesting news! Is this for tourism or just for connections?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
It worked. But was stressful and I would not do it again on purpose.. Just to let everyone know.
Originally Posted by TomMM
But how much money did you save?
Vasco Pridat TomMM Looks to me like ex-ALG is no cheaper for US destinations than ex-ARN although you don’t get the 80TP you would ALG-LON. Was your flight that much cheaper than anything else that what sounds quite a stressful experience was worth it? Or are the change or stopover rules on ex-ALG tickets very different from ex-ARN, for example?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by salut0
Vasco Pridat TomMM Looks to me like ex-ALG is no cheaper for US destinations than ex-ARN although you don’t get the 80TP you would ALG-LON. Was your flight that much cheaper than anything else that what sounds quite a stressful experience was worth it? Or are the change or stopover rules on ex-ALG tickets very different from ex-ARN, for example?
Of course I would prefer an arn ticket. But at the time I booked 1250 eu was only available from alg. There are a lot fewer deals since covid! And mostly only Sofia was really stretchable with TP. and alg is one of the best BA tickets.
The new airport is super nice. World class. And staff is as always one of the nicest and most helpful one in the world!
I would always do a transit there. The b2b was a bit too exciting. Lol
The new airport has a special transit security. It is meant for transit.. Not sure why they don't solve this no visa thing more officially.
It helped me to print out any page from the internet where it says you can transit without visa to show to the checking agent. In my opinion that is the key hole.
You need to convince the check in that you are eligible to fly to alg without a visa.
Even on the return where I hopped off at lhr.. The lady at lax and then jfk wouldn't check me in to lhr cuz my final was alg.
So as I managed to get a b2b it's possible to do everything in 30min.. They have there own transit passport control and security that was only waiting for me. And they do stamp your passport. Lol
Enjoy. It was a great flight for me as I paid 1250 eu and used a guf to upgrade all legs to first!! Lhr jfk and jfk lax
​​​​​​
Old Oct 25, 2023, 7:05 am

Follow-up question

Hi, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this situation - So I am flying from Cape Town to France, via Algeria (I have all the necessary visas etc. for France) but now I am wondering about this transit visa.

As I understand the thread: no transit visa is required as my layover is less than 24 hours but I need to change terminals, will this be an issue?

Hoping someone can help!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andreadt09611
Hi, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this situation - So I am flying from Cape Town to France, via Algeria (I have all the necessary visas etc. for France) but now I am wondering about this transit visa.

As I understand the thread: no transit visa is required as my layover is less than 24 hours but I need to change terminals, will this be an issue?

Hoping someone can help!
I'd strongly recommend plugging your details into the link below (e.g. your passport may make a difference) and see what it says. Assuming you have an SA passport then you DO need a transit visa and are not eligible for TWOV (Transit without Visa).

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...t-information/

This links to the database that airlines use to decide permissibility of your travel so it's a good source. I'd also talk to the Algerian embassy in your country of residence.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by surbiton_flyer
Just as a point of reference, I spoke to the Algerian Visa office last week as I’m connecting from LGW to the QR PEK fare. I’m spending 24 hours in Algiers not the way back, for which I will need a Visa (Ł60) but they also said they will issue a multi entry transit visa for the way through which will cover me both ways for the same cost.

would have been happy to risk TWOV on the way out. But as the same price no point risking it
I went to the London consular today, and they told me they didn't issue multi-entry transit visa in this case
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Andreadt09611

Hoping someone can help!

​​​​​Have you completed your trip yet and did you get a transit visa?

I'm flying from Johannesburg via Algeria to Turkey on a South African passport. On the Emirates and Qatar requirements checker it states that TWOV is available for SA passport holders, but I'm also now starting to wonder if there will be issues.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 2:51 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We went through ALG last week and into the new terminal to pick up some ex ALG BA biz tickets back to LAX. We flew in on ITA from Rome and a couple
folks peeled off and went to the right through the transit corridor, that is definitely a thing now. We had visas so went in and stayed at the Hyatt across the parking lot from the new terminal for 36 hours.

A couple of thoughts… first, I read this thread with amusement— I am guessing that if you have some french skills you could TWOV with checked bags if you asked nicely, but it could vary from one case to another. We generally found the country to be very “can do” for us as foreign visitors.

Second, if they were to take you landside to collect your bags, the passport check and security back to airside can be brutal if you are catching a mid day departure, there are some wide body Emirates and Qatar planes departing then and they just do not have sufficient staff to accomodate. Same goes for those entering and exiting, it took over an hour to get through that mess and we were nearly the last to board our BA flight.

i asked about a coming evisa, nobody knew anything…
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Another ALG transit on Fri/Sat and a night at the awful Marriott near the airport because the Hyatt Regency canceled our reservations at the last minute.

Once again, the "make the rules up on the spot" nature of entering and leaving this country is hilarious. Overall, I love the higher earnings the BA R fare gives (crediting to AS MP) but I think in the future we will book out far enough that the 180 day ex-EU fares are in range. Maybe if we parked our bags in London and did a BtB on BA (we have multiple entry visas so wouldn't get denied boarding), but I just don't have the patience for trying to be a tourist in a place that really could not give a rat's @ss about tourists!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.