Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Algiers Airport Transit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA:EXP
Greetings All,

After reading this thread, it looks like some have had success transiting in ALG without a visa if the connection is 12 hours or less.

I am just wondering if any others have had recent success?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by Chriga
Hello everyone,
are there more data points now available?
There's FRA-ALG (LH1316) arriving at 11:40 and ALG-FRA (LH1317) departing at 13:10 and I wonder if that is possible to do.
Thanks!
Without a visa, I can't see you being allowed to board in FRA.

If you have one it is still very difficult. I wouldn't advise anything less than 2 hours, ideally 3 to be safe.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stageworks
Greetings All,

After reading this thread, it looks like some have had success transiting in ALG without a visa if the connection is 12 hours or less.

I am just wondering if any others have had recent success?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
I've done it and know others who have recently as well, With enough time and a true "connection" to a third country it is fine.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Is there a way to Transit Without Visa on a flight arriving the day before (e.g. 9pm Day 1) and leaving the next morning (e.g. 6am Day 2)? Or is a visa required in this situation? Thread DPs seem to indicate connection is okay if less than 12 hours, but did not see any overnight success stories.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by aquanine
Is there a way to Transit Without Visa on a flight arriving the day before (e.g. 9pm Day 1) and leaving the next morning (e.g. 6am Day 2)? Or is a visa required in this situation? Thread DPs seem to indicate connection is okay if less than 12 hours but did not see any overnight success stories.
ALG airport is open 24/7, so no issue to spend the night there. I don't think there is a hotel airside though - as long as you remain airside, you're technically not crossing a border - just transit as you'd do during day time (assuming it's not a self transit; if it is, you probably would need to collect your second ticket landside, and then that's another story - there are reports that you can do this without a visa, asking one of the staff members airside to go with your passport and collect it landside, but IMHO I would not give it a try).

If you want to go to a hotel, you'll need a transit visa - no prices are listed, but visa for less than 90 days are usually about EUR100.

Last edited by offvoice; Apr 3, 2020 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Self-transit is pretty straightforward with the Swissport folks, they will ask you to fill in the immigration form, then take that and your passport up to the airline to get your boarding passes and deliver them to you at the Swissport lounge (provided the lounge is open).
Whilst the airport doesn’t have much in the way of facilities, it isn’t the worst place to spend the night, provided you are allowed up to the departures area.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by offvoice
ALG airport is open 24/7, so no issue to spend the night there. I don't think there is a hotel airside though - as long as you remain airside, you're technically not crossing a border - just transit as you'd do during day time (assuming it's not a self transit; if it is, you probably would need to collect your second ticket landside, and then that's another story - there are reports that you can do this without a visa, asking one of the staff members landside to go with your passport and collect it airside, but IMHO I would not give it a try).

If you want to go to a hotel, you'll need a transit visa - no prices are listed, but visa for less than 90 days are usually about EUR100.
Unfortunately it is as you say - the flight to ALG would be international arrival on one ticket (likely BUD-CDG-LAX), and the next day would be international departure on a separate ticket. Self transit would be ideal - I'm just hesitant of any visa issues and if you can access the departures area after landing or if you are shunted to immigration like international connections in the US are.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:03 am

Hello all, thanks for posting info regarding transit!

I will be arriving at 00:05 AM by AZ (or perhaps a bit earlier than that) and will be departing 06:00 by AF. I am not coming from a visa exempt country by Algeria so I will either have to get a transit visa or TWOV. I've heard a lot that TWOV is possible if I ask the immigration officer, and the Swissport agent will assist me to do the TWOV. My biggest concern, however is if the Swissport agent will be there at midnight, or if the immigration booths will be open all the way thru 6am. Any datapoints?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can you do back-to-back flights on AF, assuming you have a booking for another flight for TWOV (which you end up not taking)? I know it's against the rules, but would it even be possible?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by K9TSP
My biggest concern
My biggest concern would be any coronavirus-related issues. Will the flight operate? Are Algeria's ports of entry open? Are Algeria's ports of entry open to a flight from Italy? Will you be quarantined? Do you have those questions answered?

Unless this flight is far in the future ...
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
My biggest concern would be any coronavirus-related issues. Will the flight operate? Are Algeria's ports of entry open? Are Algeria's ports of entry open to a flight from Italy? Will you be quarantined? Do you have those questions answered?

Unless this flight is far in the future ...
Yes, it is very far in the future..
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Good!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How far ahead, in this volatile world, is the interesting question!

We have 4 forward bookings for vacations taking us through to December ... and all 4 countries currently won’t let us in!!

Not expecting any relaxations for at least 6 months. Just waiting for official flight cancellations so we can start recovering GBP 12,000+ in forward spend!!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by aquanine
Is there a way to Transit Without Visa on a flight arriving the day before (e.g. 9pm Day 1) and leaving the next morning (e.g. 6am Day 2)? Or is a visa required in this situation? Thread DPs seem to indicate connection is okay if less than 12 hours, but did not see any overnight success stories.
I am in the same situation.. my booking is in December, and I was wondering about the TWOV. I have both EU and Canadian passporte.. not sure if that matters
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by K9TSP
Hello all, thanks for posting info regarding transit!

I will be arriving at 00:05 AM by AZ (or perhaps a bit earlier than that) and will be departing 06:00 by AF. I am not coming from a visa exempt country by Algeria so I will either have to get a transit visa or TWOV. I've heard a lot that TWOV is possible if I ask the immigration officer, and the Swissport agent will assist me to do the TWOV. My biggest concern, however is if the Swissport agent will be there at midnight, or if the immigration booths will be open all the way thru 6am. Any datapoints?

Thanks!
This would be possible, but grim. I'd expect no Swissport personnel available for AF until 0300-0400 or so. You might get lucky beforehand and can move to the lounge (if open) but otherwise you'll be waiting airside until someone from Swissport can come and get you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.