Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Transfer from Lobito train station to Catumbela (CBT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

My Rovos Rail train trip ends at the Lobito train station. Need to transfer to the Catumbela airport (CBT). Rovos Rail states the cost at $120USD per person. Wondering what other options there are.

Not looking forward to flying on TAAG-Angola Airlines from CBT to LUA, but no other choices.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TAAG - in my limited experience - are fine if very much 3 star.

I have no on the ground experience, but other than Rovos Rail's transfer I suspect the only other option might be a local taxi. You'll save some cash, but it will be materially more stressful and frankly if you've paid for a Rovos trip, an extra USD120 for the transfer seems money worth paying for the avoidance of hassle.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It's a 15km trip. I would contact a local hotel to see if they can organize a cheaper transfer.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
TAAG - in my limited experience - are fine if very much 3 star.

I have no on the ground experience, but other than Rovos Rail's transfer I suspect the only other option might be a local taxi. You'll save some cash, but it will be materially more stressful and frankly if you've paid for a Rovos trip, an extra USD120 for the transfer seems money worth paying for the avoidance of hassle.
I agree with this. If you've already paid for the Rovos Rail trip, an extra USD120 each is probably worth it to avoid the headache of organising your own transfer. However, here are some alternative suggestions, in ascending order of stressfulness:

1) Book one night in a fancy hotel in Lobito (such as the Terminus on the Restinga) and get them to organise the transfer the next day.
2) Download a ride hailing App like Heetch and see if a driver will take you to the airport.
3) Walk out of the train station and start negotiating with the drivers that hang out there (maximum stress, especially if you don't speak Portuguese!)

Please let us know what the Rovos Rail trip is like. It looks amazing!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Lobito and Benguela are rather nice and untouched. I advocate the idea of spending a night in Lobito and getting the hotel to transfer you. I stayed at the Hotel Restinga a few years ago and it was much less than the transfer. I can't imagine it is much more these days. US$120 is a complete rip off but admittedly loose change in the grand scheme of a Rovos Rail adventure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.