Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

SA: Private Reserve Elephant Point / Mjejane , Safari Lodge advice needed..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor

Looking for a Safari Lodge in Dezember 20-23 this year. Few years ago we stayed at the Lion Sands Resort, which was wonderful. But now we need accommodation for 5 adults / 3 rooms.
The Lion Sands would cost me more than 40K, which is definitely too much.
Does anybody know the Mjejane Private Game Reserve, next to Kruger Park, separated only through the Crocodile River, no fences.
They offer private self-catering multi bedroom Lodges, most of them come with game drives in the private reserve. They also offer game drives to Kruger Park and there also seems to be a private bridge/gate to the Kruger Park.

Or the Elephant Point Lodges, they also seem to be a small private Reserve, separated from Kruger by the Sabie River.
I guess they also offer game drives, but only in the Kruger Park.
I know it is a very busy season, are there long queues to get into the Kruger Park?

Near the Elephant Point also at Sabie River seems to be the new Marriott Property Leopard Sands. They also offer game drives to Kruger Park, which are included. Or alternatively you can book private games drives to Sabie Sands upon availability, so not sure, if this option will be available during high season.

Any advice on this matter or any other suggestions for nice Safari Lodges in the budget range 1000 Euros/night/room.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well you are looking at quite different experiences compared to Lions Sands reserve lodges - those in both the Sabi Sand and the Kruger NP concession have large traversing rights exclusive to those lodges. Whereas all the accommodations you are looking at will do guided drives into the National Park where there is no exclusivity and the drivers can't go off-road. As far as I know the game drives offered from outside Sabi Sand reserve use the Umkumbe-Nottens-Sabi Sabi area which now I believe is outside of Sabi Sand reserve management. You have good wildlife density and habituated wildlife in the area, there are just a lot of vehicles in a smaller area. You can stay at Umkumbe for about US$500-650 per room all-inc and have the benefit of being in the reserve overnight, so you can do a drive into the evening after gate closing time and you don't lose prime game viewing time in the morning waiting for gate formalities. I am sure Mjejane is a nice reserve to visit and the predators wander across the river. But it is very different to Lion Sands, I am not sure how much infrastructure, holiday homes etc you'll see as well as other vehicles. Any of the options you indicate have the pros and cons of losing exclusivity for the benefit of nice accommodation.

Personally I would either go for cheap (self drive, accept lots of vehicles and restrictions of the National Park but save your money) or somewhere with exclusive and quieter traversing rights. If you would consider transferring yourselves from an airport and self catering you can get great value at the exclusive self cater lodges in Timbavati, Klaserie like Machaton Private Camp, Motswari private camps, Walkers camps.
Swanhunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.