Wiki Posts
Search

Algeria visa invitation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Algeria visa invitation

Looking to go to Algeria for a few days in January... the consulate has held my passport now for three weeks (only just found out last week they said they emailed me two weeks ago for a visa invitation, did not receive it of course ). I've been having trouble getting a tour company invitation. I'm used to travelling independently and the companies I've emailed either don't respond or quote highly inflated packages.

Anyone have any experience with visas there?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:22 pm

Go to Morocco instead?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:50 pm

It's been a couple of years since I got my visa, but my hotel confirmation (from the Sheraton in Algiers) was all I needed to satisfy the "invitation" requirement. I used Travisa to secure my visa from the Washington, D.C. embassy. Maybe things have changed, or they've tightened up on U.S. citizens.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by RMC500
It's been a couple of years since I got my visa, but my hotel confirmation (from the Sheraton in Algiers) was all I needed to satisfy the "invitation" requirement. I used Travisa to secure my visa from the Washington, D.C. embassy. Maybe things have changed, or they've tightened up on U.S. citizens.
Yeah no idea why the hotel wasn't sufficient.. I had also made my booking at the Sheraton. I was using my UK passport at the NY consulate though, so maybe there is some difference there.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:33 pm

I forgot to add that it is my impression that some reliable visa companies in D.C. have built up a relationship with the D.C embassies over the years and may well be able to more quickly and easily solve a problem like yours than could an individual filing his own application with an embassy or consulate. Maybe its worthwhile to call one or two when dealing with a difficult country, like many in Africa. I'll leave it to others to recommend a reliable visa service.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
This may be a bit late, but just saw the thread.
I got at tourist visa in person in the NYC consulate two years ago. I don't remember the visa being onerous; I don't even remember needing a letter.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Air France a few weeks ago had some crazy cheap fares to North Africa: $450 return incl taxes MSP-ALG (as well as Tunisia and Morocco). But I don't like places full of touts and tourist economies-- I like to see the real thing. So I booked Algeria with a friend.
Well, now seeing why I don't know anyone who's been to Algeria.... it's #132 of 140 tourist destinations in the world by number. Even that doesn't bother me, since I have read up on lots of very cool places to see in Algeria. Lack of many hotels means the prices are out of whack, but again problem solved since I have plenty of hotel points (SPG, Hilton, Accor, etc) and points redemption is very low in a place without tourists!

The biggest issue seems to be the Visa situation-- lots of anecdotes about success and failure.
Anyone have recent experience? I live in MSP, could go to NYC to do it in person in June. My trip isn't till August 2017 so I have time to do more research. Seems that the air ticket is even cancellable and refundable if the Visa is denied.
Seeing info on this thread, I will check into Travisa in DC, as well as doing it in person.
Thanks for any info!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Bumping this in hopes of any recent Algeria Visa experiences?
Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Air France a few weeks ago had some crazy cheap fares to North Africa: $450 return incl taxes MSP-ALG (as well as Tunisia and Morocco). But I don't like places full of touts and tourist economies-- I like to see the real thing. So I booked Algeria with a friend.
Well, now seeing why I don't know anyone who's been to Algeria.... it's #132 of 140 tourist destinations in the world by number. Even that doesn't bother me, since I have read up on lots of very cool places to see in Algeria. Lack of many hotels means the prices are out of whack, but again problem solved since I have plenty of hotel points (SPG, Hilton, Accor, etc) and points redemption is very low in a place without tourists!

The biggest issue seems to be the Visa situation-- lots of anecdotes about success and failure.
Anyone have recent experience? I live in MSP, could go to NYC to do it in person in June. My trip isn't till August 2017 so I have time to do more research. Seems that the air ticket is even cancellable and refundable if the Visa is denied.
Seeing info on this thread, I will check into Travisa in DC, as well as doing it in person.
Thanks for any info!
Old May 6, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US citizen here. I just got a 2 year multiple entry visa for Algeria with no issue. Took 9 days. I provided my flight itinerary, hotel reservation confirmation and summary page for my bank account.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
US citizen here. I just got a 2 year multiple entry visa for Algeria with no issue. Took 9 days. I provided my flight itinerary, hotel reservation confirmation and summary page for my bank account.
Thanks for that reply-- Did you have a Visa Invitation letter? Did you do it through NYC or Washington DC?
Thanks again!
^
Old May 7, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not have a Visa Invitation. I used a Visa company to handle my request and based on my location they used the NYC embassy. Here's the documentation I submitted:

A: Algerian visa application forms. For online orders, please download, print and sign 2 Algerian visa applications, prepared by our system under your account. Application MUST be typed. Handwritten applications will not be accepted by the Embassy.

B: Original, signed United States of America passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity.

C: Passport-type photographs: 2

D: Itinerary. Copy of round trip tickets or detailed itinerary for the duration of the trip (Applicant's name must be on itinerary).

E: Bank statement. Copy of the applicant's most recent monthly bank statement. The statement must clearly show the applicant's name as the account holder, the balances of the accounts, and the date of the statement.

F: Hotel Reservations. Copy of confirmed hotel reservations (Applicant's name must be on Hotel Reservation).
Old May 13, 2017, 10:29 am

I did not have a Visa Invitation. I used a Visa company to handle my request and based on my location they used the NYC embassy.
Thanks for this. Also very helpful for me. You said that it took 9 days. Was that 9 days from the day your shipped it to the day that you got it back? I'm on day 8, and wondering if I'll be seeing it anytime soon.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, door to door. Used Fedex next day service both ways. One reason I like using a visa company is that I get status notifications throughout the process. Which was important this time because I needed my passport back in 14 days for another trip.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:21 am

Yes, door to door. Used Fedex next day service both ways. One reason I like using a visa company is that I get status notifications throughout the process. Which was important this time because I needed my passport back in 14 days for another trip.
Hmm, thanks. In that case, I'm on day 9 (sent it last Thursday.) Also did Fedex overnights both ways, since I have a trip coming up. Probably should have used a company, but hopefully it'll be on its way soon anyhow.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by danielm
Hmm, thanks. In that case, I'm on day 9 (sent it last Thursday.) Also did Fedex overnights both ways, since I have a trip coming up. Probably should have used a company, but hopefully it'll be on its way soon anyhow.

I'm now on day 16 of waiting for them to put it back in the mail. If anyone else out there is waiting for theirs, or has been for a while, I'd love to know that I'm not the only one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.