FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Algeria visa invitation
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:46 am
kyushuman

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Air France a few weeks ago had some crazy cheap fares to North Africa: $450 return incl taxes MSP-ALG (as well as Tunisia and Morocco). But I don't like places full of touts and tourist economies-- I like to see the real thing. So I booked Algeria with a friend.
Well, now seeing why I don't know anyone who's been to Algeria.... it's #132 of 140 tourist destinations in the world by number. Even that doesn't bother me, since I have read up on lots of very cool places to see in Algeria. Lack of many hotels means the prices are out of whack, but again problem solved since I have plenty of hotel points (SPG, Hilton, Accor, etc) and points redemption is very low in a place without tourists!

The biggest issue seems to be the Visa situation-- lots of anecdotes about success and failure.
Anyone have recent experience? I live in MSP, could go to NYC to do it in person in June. My trip isn't till August 2017 so I have time to do more research. Seems that the air ticket is even cancellable and refundable if the Visa is denied.
Seeing info on this thread, I will check into Travisa in DC, as well as doing it in person.
Thanks for any info!