Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; this particular wikipost can only be unlocked and edited by moderators.

Malaria is a preventable, life-threatening disease transmitted by the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito when she is taking her blood meal and has Plasmodium parasites in her gut from previously biting an infected blood source. Most Anopheles are night-biters, but at least one species bites during cloudy days.

There are five types of malaria that affect humans: Plasmodium falciparum (which is responsible for the vast majority of malaria deaths), P. vivax, P. ovale, P. malariae and P. knowlesi. P. vivax and P. ovale can have recurring bouts.

Symptoms can vary from quite mild to complications such as cerebral malaria; about 1 million deaths per year occur globally from malaria. Some medications are used prophilactically / preventively, as well as to treat malaria, and it seems after time the Plasmodium parasite is able to develop resistance. The locations where certain mosquitoes inhabit and which form of malaria, plus resistances, can be researched prior to travel.

Best practices to prevent malaria include keeping limbs, etc. covered during mosquito-biting hours; sleeping under insecticide-treated bed nets; using approved mosquito repellents (Picaridin or DEET topically and permethrin / Permanone, a persistent repellent applied to the surface of clothing, which persists through several washings).

Disclaimer - link to this guideline
NEVER rely on information or opinions posted on FlyerTalk to replace the information that you receive from your frequent traveler programs*. While FlyerTalk is full of great information, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on the boards.

FlyerTalk is founded on the principles of support, empowerment, information and entertainment. Use good judgment when considering how to use information derived from the forums and consult representatives from the appropriate programs before doing anything that might affect your travel or put your miles and points at risk. Remember that what's right for one person may not be right for you.

FlyerTalk is not liable for any loss or damage caused by information obtained through our forums.
* much less your health provider professionals or physicians

Some trustworthy resources include:

Link to some malaria basics from the Government of Canada

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention pages on malaria (treatment, prevention, etc.)

Link to US CDC malaria information for travelers

Link to IAMAT PDF extensive World Malaria risk Chart.

Link to Public Health England pages on malaria

Link to US CDC information on malaria medications / prophylaxis
Print Wikipost

Malaria meds, prevention, etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

You would rely on advice from South African officials instead of the US Centers for Disease Control? Wow.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
You would rely on advice from South African officials instead of the US Centers for Disease Control? Wow.
Honestly, the US gov't knows NOTHING about the real risk of malaria in Kruger. Nothing. To the extent that there is knowledge, it is in South Africa. There is a sophisticated medical community in South Africa. They are definitely the experts on tropical diseases in southern Africa.

The problem is that nobody has spent much money studying the risks. It's not a high priority item because nobody is getting sick from malaria at Kruger. Everybody knows the risk is very low, but no one is prepared to say it's zero. So folks are generally told to take the meds, at least during the wet season.

I'm pretty sure this advice will change at some point in the next ten years as further research is done, but in the meantime, it's probably best to take the drugs "just to be safe." That's what we did, even though I knew it was probably unnecessary.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You should rely on the US CDC as much as you should rely on the US State Dept when it comes to travel. Both agencies are required to give the most dire warnings imaginable about a place, even if there is almost no chance of something happening. That's because there are people out there who either have the worst luck in the world or put themselves in a position to have bad things happen. And if they complain to the US Govt "No one told me Country X was dangerous", then the US Govt can point to the CDC and State Dept websites where you are advised about all the bad things possible, even for countries like the United Kingdom. Go to travel.state.gov and read up on how dangerous the UK is. If you believed all that, and you were a worry-wart, you would never travel to the UK. And European governments equally have dire warnings about visiting the US.

So no, I wouldn't rely at all on the CDC. And really I wouldn't rely on the SA govt either. I know intelligent people who live in Africa who tell me where I can safely travel without concern about Malaria. Johan is one of those people and he is right that it is foolish to take Malaria meds for a safari in Kruger.

If Malaria meds had no consequences, I might take them myself. Sort of like how I might take a One-A-Day vitamin. But Malaria meds do have serious consequences and you should NOT take them unless you are sure you are going to a place where the risk is high.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:07 am
Suspended

That's uninformed advice. I take malaria meds all the time when I go to Africa and never have had problems, as do millions of others. And your assumptions about the Centers for Disease Control and the Department of State are also uninformed.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
To the extent that there is knowledge, it is in South Africa. There is a sophisticated medical community in South Africa. They are definitely the experts on tropical diseases in southern Africa.

The problem is that nobody has spent much money studying the risks.
Right. They're the experts but haven't done any research. That inspires lots of confidence.

Both the CDC and the South African Department of Health recommend malaria prevention meds in Kruger. I'd take that advice over a lay person's anonymous Internet advice anyday.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jan 7, 2014 at 3:17 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's uninformed advice. I take malaria meds all the time when I go to Africa and never have had problems, as do millions of others. And your assumptions about the Centers for Disease Control and the Department of State are also uninformed.
OK, you think I'm uninformed and I think you are uninformed. Let's move on. People can make their own choice.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: All of the Above
As I stated before.....no meds for me at the advice of my friends who live there. Yes, some of their children have gotten malaria, but the right treatment and they're good again after a couple days. They live there, so it's much more likely they would get malaria.

To each his own though....
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

They have been very fortunate so far. Local advice is not necessarily better advice, especially when the issue relates to health or science
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriot,AA,SAA, UA
Omg. So many posts. I am both a doctor and avid Africa traveler. I lived in SouthAfrica 3 years and practiced at a huge KZN hospital. I saw the grand total of one child with malaria from Mozambique. No one else. Been to Kruger multiple times as well as Zambia, Zim and the Namibia/ Angolan border and the SA/Mozambique border. Never taken anything. I'm much more afraid of viral diseases I can't treat like dengue. Malaria is easy to treat. South Africans never take anything when they travel.

The worse advice comes from USA docs. I snicker when the advice is to consult your own physician. Trust me, they know absolutely nothing and just read the CDC website. I have traveled to many nasty places. Maybe I am just lucky but I never get sick.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:58 pm
Suspended

What is your specialty? You advise patients based on your own anecdotal experiences? Seriously? I would not choose a doctor who does that to treat myself or anyone I care about. That borders on malpractice.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: LH FTL
I am a doctor as well (GP and infectious diseases) currently based in NBO. I have seen, local, tourists, adults and children with malaria. Some with severe malaria aquired in different regions of Kenya.

I don't know anything about the physicians perspective in SA, but for Kenya I feel confident to say, there are quite a number of places where malaria is present and transmitted.

I do know and understand people that don't tolerate the different prophylactic meds and therefore don't take them, however I'd never advise against chemoprophylaxis; especially as in my experience Malarone/Malanil or Doxy are well tolerated.

What I really like to point out, that there is not only chemo-prophylaxis but also mosquito nets, repellents, long sleeves. This is an essential part of prophylaxis and if you take these measures it greatly reduces the risk of malaria (and also e.g. for dengue if you do it also during daytime).

In the end, I think that one should consult with a physician that they trust and discuss their individual risk.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jannis
I am a doctor as well (GP and infectious diseases) currently based in NBO. I have seen, local, tourists, adults and children with malaria. Some with severe malaria aquired in different regions of Kenya.
Thanks for participating. Can I ask you if you would advise anyone to take meds for a trip to Nairobi?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for participating. Can I ask you if you would advise anyone to take meds for a trip to Nairobi?
Sure. In the city of Nairobi there is no need for malaria prophylaxis.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jannis
Sure. In the city of Nairobi there is no need for malaria prophylaxis.
Good answer! That was my little test to see if you were a maniac. Sorry, but there are some crazy posts in this thread. Some people will actually insist that we all take meds when going to large relatively well run capital cities in Africa.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Malaria does not exist in Nairobi because of the altitude, certainly not because it is (not) well run or a large capital city. Geez.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.